Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Moths - Mottled Grey

Default Caithness Moths - Mottled Grey

The delicately marked Mottled Grey is one or our earliest emerging spring moths. It overwinters as a pupa and the adult moth has been recorded in Caithness between 5th March and 24th April. This one, the first of the year, was caught last night, so the cold weather may have delayed their appearance a little this year. It is quite common and widespread in the County. Freshly emerged moths have a beautiful silken sheen.

Pterodroma - what a crackin' photo; I've never really bothered to look closely at a moth before, I don't suppose many of us do!

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what size is this moth?
    What's the purpose of the delicate 'feathering' on it's antenna?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Default Mottled Grey

Nope.......... as much as i am trying to look at this moth and think there must be some beauty
    in it, i cant....... and especially after seeing that hawk-moth at my window last year, is it september i have to stay indoors so i dont come across it again? lol oh btw is there any other HUGE moths kicking about in caithness?

Gronnuck - Thanks for your comments. Mottled Grey is a quite a small moth - the length of the forewing varies between 13mm and 17mm. In most moth species the females sit tight and sends out pheromones to the attract the male (there are exceptions such as Ghost Moth were the role is reversed), these can carry considerable distances, especially down wind. I am not certain but I expect that the moth in the picture is a male and the feathering on the antenna increases the surface area, thus making it easier to detect pheromones.

Highlander - you disappoint me! I thought after your close encounter with that beautiful Convolvulus Hawk-moth you would be converted to a love of moths. You are probably safe until the end May/June when the fairly common Poplar Hawk-moth puts in an appearance!

Pterodroma

Pterodroma
    could you give us some links to follow on how to set up a moth watching station or moth traps (moth friendly of course) my little one was wondering when they would be out and about
    thanks lynne

Quote Originally Posted by lynne duncan View Post
    Pterodroma
    could you give us some links to follow on how to set up a moth watching station or moth traps (moth friendly of course) my little one was wondering when they would be out and about
    thanks lynne
    I'll second that!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Lynne and Gronnuck - I have received a number of requests on a similar theme. I will start a new thread which will make any discussion easier to follow.

Pterodroma