Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unexpected find.

Default Unexpected find.

On way to cliffs at Lybster to have a look for Dolphins, heard commotion in gorge by bridge.
    Quick scan with bins saw what looked like a wagtail with yellow feathers (Grey Wagtail poss). Then lost sight of it, while looking around saw this bird being harassed by blackbirds a Tawny Owl.
    Sorry bad picture poor light, 150 feet away in shrub.

Wow, lucky you. I have only seen one owl in the wild and that was at Achvarasdal Woods.

Poor thing stuck in the brush like that.

Great find.
    Thanks
    Catherine

Nice find there Seabird. I was at that spot tonight, but didnt see him or her. I have heard that that gorge is a good birding spot. I was only a quick look tonight as I was in Lybster for kids footie.

My grandfather was born at the Harbour and I would love to explore that area more. This post has given me an incentive to do it sooner rather than later, Thanks.

Owl must have been glad to be in the brush, safe from the blackbirds. It must have been exciting to spot him.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass
    Owl must have been glad to be in the brush, safe from the blackbirds. It must have been exciting to spot him.
    very exciting.
    I've never seen a Tawny in the wild, and i was very surprised by it's size.
    Compared to the Blackbirds it was a giant.