Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: football

Just taking some of your points.

"..but speaking generally the skill level is greatly improved.."
    I stand by my original thought that skill levels have fallen. Think back to the days of Pele/Best/Eusebio/Beckenbauer etc. Look at some polls of football clubs supporters, as to who the best player for their team was/is. I think you will find very few current players topping the list.

"I am referring to the idea of local folk for local teams"
    I am not suggesting that all players should come from geographical location of club (although I would hazard a guess that 11 local players who support their home town club, would easily beat a team of journeymen players)

"I am referring to all the brave Scots running the game in England."
    I, and many others, have suspected for a long time that Ferguson makes the rules up as he goes along in the PL
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    "..but speaking generally the skill level is greatly improved.."
    I stand by my original thought that skill levels have fallen. Think back to the days of Pele/Best/Eusebio/Beckenbauer etc. Look at some polls of football clubs supporters, as to who the best player for their team was/is. I think you will find very few current players topping the list.
    Well if you take my full quote...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    I won't dispute there were great players in every generation, but speaking generally the skill level is greatly improved. That is not really about individuals.
    I am clearly talking about the general level.

It is the nature of comparision that most current generation players will not be fully appreciated until some time has elapsed.

"I am referring to all the brave Scots running the game in England."
    I, and many others, have suspected for a long time that Ferguson makes the rules up as he goes along in the PL
    Ha ha, I can guess why you say that.

I would suggest that this is not the case, he is an excellent manager who knows how to get the best out of his team.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

I think there are so many types of football. I just love the sport, I am not into teams as such.

Ferguson is a great Scot, and whatever he went into I am sure he would have succeeded.

In the current blame culture of football, where managers are only as good as their last three games, he stands for something almost gone.

That I will agree is a terrible thing for any sport.

"..he stands for something almost gone.."
    Alex Ferguson "stands for something almost gone"
    Are you for real?

Arguing with officials and anyone else who does not agree with him, bad tempered, assaults his own players (Beckham), plays a guy who jumped into crowd to assault a fan (Cantona) , supports players who admit that they nearly committed gbh on opposition (Keane), won't talk to BBC, because BBC made a factual statement about his son's dodgy dealings as an agent etc etc.

If that is standing for something almost gone, well the sooner it is gone the better
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

where managers are only as good as their last three games, he stands for something almost gone.
    Perhaps you could refer to my posts in context.

I am clearly talking about longevity.

It would be hard to argue against that point, perhaps that is why you are off on a personal rant about him?

Perhaps you could refer to my posts in context.

I am clearly talking about longevity.

It would be hard to argue against that point, perhaps that is why you are off on a personal rant about him?
    No, don't get me wrong, as a succesful manager he is up there with the best of them. What stops him from being one of the greats are the issues I pointed out in my post, His character lacks humility.

No, don't get me wrong, as a succesful manager he is up there with the best of them. What stops him from being one of the greats are the issues I pointed out in my post, His character lacks humility.
    Might be jumping to the wrong conclusion here, but it seems fairly obvious why you have a problem with Fergie and it aint got anything to do with his lack of humility.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

Mon e gers!
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post
    Might be jumping to the wrong conclusion here, but it seems fairly obvious why you have a problem with Fergie and it aint got anything to do with his lack of humility.
    Yes, you have jumped to wrong conclusion. Can you imagine Matt Busby condoning the following:

"..Arguing with officials and anyone else who does not agree with him, bad tempered, assaults his own players (Beckham), plays a guy who jumped into crowd to assault a fan (Cantona) , supports players who admit that they nearly committed gbh on opposition (Keane), won't talk to BBC, because BBC made a factual statement about his son's dodgy dealings as an agent etc etc.."

Arsene Wenger & Rafa Benitez both sometines say the most ridiculous things to defend their teams lack of discipline, but Ferguson takes it to a new level.

The only other manager, who has managed in PL, who can be compared to Ferguson is Mouriniho. His lies about a referee (going into Barca dressing room at H/T) in a match against Barcelona, led to the ref receiving death threats, his home address being published on a Chelsea fans forum and referee subsequently giving up refereeing.

Is this is the extent to which football has descended?
    The game is on the precipice, or a couple of levels down, of the equivalent of Dante's Inferno

Yes, you have jumped to wrong conclusion. Can you imagine Matt Busby condoning the following:

"..Arguing with officials and anyone else who does not agree with him, bad tempered, assaults his own players (Beckham), plays a guy who jumped into crowd to assault a fan (Cantona) , supports players who admit that they nearly committed gbh on opposition (Keane), won't talk to BBC, because BBC made a factual statement about his son's dodgy dealings as an agent etc etc.."
    Crikey, you have resorted to quoting yourself!

I have met Ferguson, as far as I am concerned he is old school. He keeps his personal life private, and that includes his humility.

Last edited by Boozeburglar; 14-Mar-10 at 01:56.

No matter what you think, Fergie is a great manager, the only Scot to have won the Champions league twice, the world club championship, the cup winners cup, twice, The EPL-ive lost count how many times & hopefully they win it this year to go one ahead of the moaning scousers.
    Hes won the FA cup on more than one occassion, more FA cup & league doubles than anyone else, throw in a few league cups & charity shields- then you can begin to see why they use so much silver polish in Salford

When he was at St Mirren he had them up challenging in the Premeir league getting huge unheard of crowds upto 20,000 at home games ,he then got sacked!!!! Moved to Aberdeen & turned them into the best team in Europe in 1983 Won the league 3 times the Scottish cup 3 in a row .

Yet you dont think hes a great manager?????? Keep taking the pills mate. Im no Aberdeen or Manc fan but credit where its due, Fergie is a genius as a football manager , the record speaks for itself
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post

Yet you dont think hes a great manager?????? Keep taking the pills mate. Im no Aberdeen or Manc fan but credit where its due, Fergie is a genius as a football manager , the record speaks for itself
    Please read my post properly (No 47) and you will see that I am not denying that he is succesful.

Please read my post properly (No 47) and you will see that I am not denying that he is succesful.

You read it properly & take your blinkers off, you are slagging Fergie off man 1 more Champions league & he equals Paisleys record 2 more & he equals the moaning scousers record.

Have you met him personally? I have twice & hes a great guy, great manager, great family man & friend. oh & hes also a knight , Shanks didnt get a knighthood , are you a bit bitter?
    Cmey e Scorries

Arsene Wenger & Rafa Benitez both sometines say the most ridiculous things to defend their teams lack of discipline, but Ferguson takes it to a new level.

The only other manager, who has managed in PL, who can be compared to Ferguson is Mouriniho. His lies about a referee (going into Barca dressing room at H/T) in a match against Barcelona, led to the ref receiving death threats, his home address being published on a Chelsea fans forum and referee subsequently giving up refereeing.

Is this is the extent to which football has descended?
    The game is on the precipice, or a couple of levels down, of the equivalent of Dante's Inferno
    Show me a great person that does not have flaws? You don't get to be great by being a 'nice guy' - Kevin Keegan is an example.

Jose and Fergie are so successful because they have a few 'flaws'.

Wenger, whilst working wonders with what he has is never going to fall short of winning the EPL and as for Rafa, Valencia really saw you coming, Liverpool are going backwards under him, so maybe if he had a few more 'flaws'?

Your problems with Fergie have to do with your hatred of his team and its success, not him. If he was at Anfield you would be supporting him all the way.

Accept that you have to earn success of the field of play, not have it handed to you because of your past history.

P.S. Have you played Dante's Inferno? Graphics aint bad.

I have never said that ManU are not a good side, even the most biased fan of other teams in EPL would accept that over past 15 years, that they have been far and away the most successful.

My posts have not been about "my teams better than yours etc" but more about the way that football is heading i.e. clubs going into administration, obscene salaries etc

Eh? You reading the same thread?

You have been putting the boot into Fergie for most of it.

My team does not play in the EPL, they play in the championship so I have a less biased view than you think.

As for the way clubs are heading, how can you change it? Don't pay the going rate and Bara, Real or Inter will. As for the debt, bad management by the board. Yeah Man U have a big debt but as long as they can service it is it really a problem? Same as personal finance, having debt is not a problem if you can afford it.

But a lot of clubs have been irresponsible and unfortunately the fans suffer, not those responsible.

Chester City will rise again - thanks to the fans, not the board!

I have never said that ManU are not a good side, even the most biased fan of other teams in EPL would accept that over past 15 years, that they have been far and away the most successful.

My posts have not been about "my teams better than yours etc" but more about the way that football is heading i.e. clubs going into administration, obscene salaries etc
    No , you had a dig at Fergie , not Man united .

As for football going down the tubes, It wont be long before a really big club goes bust- Portsmouth are looking more likely every day. They wont be the last- of that Im sure. As for the standards, is the EPL really the best league in the world ??? I dont thin so. La Liga in Spain has a cracking match every weekend & it doesnt matter whether its Tenerife or Valladolid or Madrid or Depor- they can all play & more skill than 90% of the EPL teams.
    Wages are obscene in England , but some idiot keeps paying them!!! Is Sturridge worth £55,000 a week ? because he has only played 6 games for his club!!!
    Michael Ballacks weekly wage is £130,000 , I wouldnt give him £130 a week.

Football is killing itself with the elitism at the top, Its all very well everyone supporting the big four but who they gona lay against when all the rest go bust- normal fans cant afford to go anymore. Arsenal season tickets are cheapest at £950.

I like Highland league- £7 to watch Wick is very good imo. I ve been 3 times this season & the standard is the best we`ve had up here in my lifetime. Some brilliant displays & you leave the park delighted that you went to the game. Can you say that for some o the big clubs ??
    Cmey e Scorries

Debt in football is just not an Englishphenomenon, it is World wide. Look at Real Madrids debt, they do not service that, the Spanish government underwrites it.

Football is living off the last SKY contract, and when this is due for renewal there will not be the same amount of money on the table, so clubs with existing debts may feel squeeze. Because of their large fan bases I do not think that it will affect the big clubs, but the mid table and below teams will suffer.

You are right about fans suffering due to boards financial negligence, deducting points due to a previous owners foolishness is unfair to the fans. A better solution would be ban owners like Peter Ridsdale from ever being involved in running a club again.

I hope that Chester ro rise again, I have been to Sealand Road quite a few times but never been to the Deva.

"Have you played Dante's Inferno? Graphics aint bad. " The only PC game I have ever played is football manager type one, I was referring to Dante's poem in post

I agree about Portsmouth, I don't think that their problems will go away just because they went into administration. I fear that the collapse of one Pl club will start a domino effect

Skill wise I would agree that the Spanish Liga is the best, but as Arsenal are finding, playing pretty football (Barca excepted) does not guarantee success. , Look how English clubs have dominated the CL semi-finals for the last couple of years.

It would nice to introduce a maximum wage but football (and society) is so corrupt nowadays that it would be impossible to implement. The same as capping a clubs salaries to income, there will always be an accountant advising clubs how to circumvent this.

I think that a European league is inevitable as clubs seek to make even more money out of fans.

I have never been to see Wick but will make a point of going. I am getting fed up listening/watching Liverpool get beat, yet again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast