Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: football

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    What part of the "United are not for sale" statement, made by the current owners, do the arrogant "Red Knights" consortium not understand.
    Everyone has their price.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

I agree, but there does not appear to be anyone in this consortium who has liquid assets on par with Man city/Chelsea owners. If this is the case then all that will happen is that they will borrow money from Nomura bank, who will then become main creditor.
    Therefore no real change in situation, just a different bank to who MUFC owe money to.

Quote Originally Posted by sharona View Post
    Who won wat a player rooney
    Is this Micket Rooney? I did not know he had anythng to do with football but then I don't know football. Is that the round ball game or the egg shaped one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    Is this Micket Rooney? I did not know he had anythng to do with football but then I don't know football. Is that the round ball game or the egg shaped one?
    Have'nt you got homework to do?
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Man U / red scum, all the same lol

'tis right though, not many Mancunians go to Old Trafford, all the home counties brigade travel up. M6 becomes a car park when they play at home.
    A bit like the buses that travel to Parkhead and Ibrox fron Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    A bit like the buses that travel to Parkhead and Ibrox fron Caithness?
    Nothing like, it's all Chelsea tractors and beamers. Buses! Good god man, you won't find the Man U "I only support them 'cos they is popular like innit and I can brag about my Old Trafford season ticket" types on buzzes.

Sorry, I thought you were mentioning the fact that most Man Utd supporters dont live in Manchester, you know, support your local club and all that, and not about their mode of transport.

Nothing like, it's all Chelsea tractors and beamers. Buses! Good god man, you won't find the Man U "I only support them 'cos they is popular like innit and I can brag about my Old Trafford season ticket" types on buzzes.
    They have plenty fans who are not so rich.

Just try getting into a bar showing a United match in Indonesia or Japan.

United have achieved the same kind of global audience as similar legends such as Real Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    They have plenty fans who are not so rich.

Just try getting into a bar showing a United match in Indonesia or Japan.

United have achieved the same kind of global audience as similar legends such as Real Madrid.

But is it about a local football team??
    Evidently not if it's Indonesians supporting a UK football club.

Sorry, I thought you were mentioning the fact that most Man Utd supporters dont live in Manchester, you know, support your local club and all that, and not about their mode of transport.

Aye, but you've seen it! ??
    City are the same, as are most (if not all) premier league clubs.

It's a fashion statement.

The last City game I went to was at Maine Road and I remember among my mates then the craic was about how Old Trafford was a better ground. Bigger capacity, better seating etc. etc.

This can be extrapolated across all current football clubs.

I used to go to a barber who was a "staunch" Manchester United Fan, but during our habitual round of verbal banter / abuse, one day he stated that he'd never follow Manchester United down to the 2nd Division....

Not popular to follow a non 'top of the premier league' club in yer beamer is it?

I've long lost interest in football because it is no longer 'local' or about skills, or about talent.
    It's money! And apparent success. If I get a season ticket for "x" I must be doing well!!!

I lived in Manchester for a few years, and had season tickets, also watching them away in London many years. I followed Fergie since Aberdeen.

There are many reasons to follow a club, mine is the manager.

I agree nothing is local anymore, but since I was a kid I always loved Brazil anyway.

Same way I loved McEnroe.

I also happen to have a member of MU in my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post

I also happen to have a member of MU in my family.
    So your the father of "scares children" Gary Neville!
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

Aye, but you've seen it! ??
    City are the same, as are most (if not all) premier league clubs.

It's a fashion statement.

The last City game I went to was at Maine Road and I remember among my mates then the craic was about how Old Trafford was a better ground. Bigger capacity, better seating etc. etc.

This can be extrapolated across all current football clubs.

I used to go to a barber who was a "staunch" Manchester United Fan, but during our habitual round of verbal banter / abuse, one day he stated that he'd never follow Manchester United down to the 2nd Division....

Not popular to follow a non 'top of the premier league' club in yer beamer is it?

I've long lost interest in football because it is no longer 'local' or about skills, or about talent.
    It's money! And apparent success. If I get a season ticket for "x" I must be doing well!!!
    With all due respect Phil it might be a fashion statement, but only to the new breed of "customer". Ask any United fan in their 50s which season they look back on most fondly and youll find that a lot will say the 1974/75 season when they were in the old 2nd Division, apart from the obvious treble winning season etc. You'll find that the proof of the pudding will come when theyre not doing well and winning trophies, it will be the Johnny Come Lateleys that will desert the club, the true fans will stay. Incidentally when I go to an FC United game the 2,000 odd there make more noise than the 75,000 do at OT and sing and get behind the team for 90 minutes even when theyre getting beat and if a player isnt in the team youll more than likely see him in the pub and on the terraces with the fans. That, to me is what football is all about.
    Modern football is rubbish. Vive Punk football.

forgot to mention if your barber would stop following them if they got relegated he is certainly not a staunch fan.

I think there were 2 main factors which caused the demise of football as we know it.

(1) Sky TV,
    The amounts of money which was pumped into the Premier league has caused a huge imbalance between the "haves" and the "have nots" Long gone are the days when clubs could win promotion through the leagues and challenge for title i.e. Notts Forest, Villa etc.

(2) Bosman Ruling.
    Before the above, most English P.L. squads had a team based on players from the UK & Ireland, and a few even had some non European players.
    However when it became legal, under EEC laws, to recruit players from overseas, it was not long before the majority of teams added a lot of foreign footballers to their squads.

The effect of this was two fold.
    Rather than developing players through youth academys, clubs simply bought cheap foreign players

And secondly the quality of the national teams suffered because there was, and still is, a shortage of home grown players. Just ask yourself how many Scots born players play in the EPL.

Dont know how many foreigners are playing in the EPL now but in the first week in 1992 there were 11.

Dont know how many foreigners are playing in the EPL now but in the first week in 1992 there were 11.
    Arsenal quite regulary field a team containing 11 foreign players, whilst Liverpool only fielded 3 England players in their match this week.

The proposal to force teams to play at least six home-grown players, under new proposals from the European Union will be a good move for game

I think there were 2 main factors which caused the demise of football as we know it.
    A kid from a background of extreme poverty can ascend to international stardom and extreme wealth.

That seems to be a good thing to me.

Do you think Hollywood should limit the number of foreign actors?

Perhaps football as we knew it was not the better for having less money involved, in terms of the quality of the game.

I understand how keeping it 'local' would appeal to those with territorial mentalities, who enjoy the tribal aspects.

Some of just want to see the greatest football, and from that perspective we are delighted to see such a competitive level.

However few home grown players there are in the mix, the general skill level can only be enhanced with the involvement of the greatest talents from the entire planet.

I could care less about how many Scots play in the EPL.

What is far more important to me is who many of the EPL players answer to.

We can't help it; just like in the arts, science, media and the legislature, we are a nation born to lead.

Last edited by Boozeburglar; 13-Mar-10 at 17:22.

There are kids in this country who are on, or below poverty level. By allowing foreign players to play in our leagues you are denying that local kid a chance of breaking through to 1st team.

I don't know about Hollywood but I do know how difficult it is to get an Equity card for this country. Without an Equity card you can not appear on TV, so in a way it is a bit of a "closed shop" situation.

Most football supporters would disagree with you when you say modern day footballers are better, fitter yes, but more skilful, no.
    Because of the money involved, todays game is all about winning at all costs, cheating is rife and this spoils the game. Some teams would now sooner play with 11 men behind the ball to try and hold out for a 0-0 draw than entertain supporters with attacking football.

What is tribal about having 11 men in your team from the British Isles?

Why are there so few "few home grown players in the mix" - see my post above.

I dont understand your comment about "..What is far more important to me is who many of the EPL players answer to.." If it is relating to players agents then yes, I am 100% in favour of removing these parasites from game

There are kids in this country who are on, or below poverty level. By allowing foreign players to play in our leagues you are denying that local kid a chance of breaking through to 1st team.
    Would you want to see teams full of second best players, there only because others were excluded? I would rather see the one or two who can cut it playing alongside players who will raise their game.

Without foreign players, and lots of them, the football played in this country would be a poor cousin to that played in Italy, Spain, etc., and thus would have a LOT less money involved in it. That poor wee kid would have to rise to the top of the game to really earn; whereas currently you can make a great living even in the lower leagues.

I don't know about Hollywood but I do know how difficult it is to get an Equity card for this country. Without an Equity card you can not appear on TV, so in a way it is a bit of a "closed shop" situation.
    The vast number of American actors treading the boards in London don't seem to find it a problem, nor do the vast number of Brits appearing in every other Hollywood blockbuster.

If you are a great actor Hoolywood will come knocking at some point; and will answer the first time you knock.

There is nothing closed about football for great players, it is a meritocratic system that brings Brazilian street children to the stadiums of Europe.

Football in that respect is the most egalitarian sport in the world.

Most football supporters would disagree with you when you say modern day footballers are better, fitter yes, but more skilful, no.
    I won't dispute there were great players in every generation, but speaking generally the skill level is greatly improved. That is not really about individuals.

Because of the money involved, todays game is all about winning at all costs, cheating is rife and this spoils the game. Some teams would now sooner play with 11 men behind the ball to try and hold out for a 0-0 draw than entertain supporters with attacking football.
    Yes it is now ultra competitive. All the better for it, despite the amount of cheating. I am sure there was cheating in the old days too, maybe having a shandy instead of that third pint at half time?

There seems to be no lack of goals in the EPL and Europe at the moment.

What is tribal about having 11 men in your team from the British Isles?
    I am referring to the idea of local folk for local teams.

Why are there so few "few home grown players in the mix" - see my post above.
    There are still plenty home grown as you work down the leagues, at least they have something to aim for. Not like the days when you got a few pounds a week and washed your own kit.

I dont understand your comment about "..What is far more important to me is who many of the EPL players answer to.." If it is relating to players agents then yes, I am 100% in favour of removing these parasites from game
    I am referring to all the brave Scots running the game in England.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast