Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Watcha Reading?

Humphrey the hamster books....the pet show panic......a chapter a night ....me/Lauren reading out loud..
    She is hammie daft (could write a book on Cheddars life so far) and loves reading, but need the slightly more advanced chapter books that are suitable for a 6 yo ....the chapter books she is taking home from the mobile library are more teen/tween books about boys....any ideas?
    Other than that the its not my......books with Euan that are trusted faves and tonight it was the avon catalogue with Iona???
    I love vampire/mystery/supernatural/murder type books myself, but as my tablet is suffering from a DNR injury (kicked out the car then stood on) I will have to go back to paperback!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Just finished reading "Generation F" by Winston Smith. Great read about the struggles one man faces when he starts to work as a Support Worker in Supported Housing schemes with young people. Will make you sit up and realise what a broken system we have, a great read from a man just trying to do his best in difficult and trying situations.

The Blackhouse by Peter May a brilliant book, looking forward to the next two!

Re reading The Hobbit for the third time, then Swedish Folktales Illustrated by John Bauer.
    "Or perhaps they had invisible writing unknown to ordinary trolls"

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    • Now I'm going to hunt that down via e-book, I have it up in the loft somewhere, but it'll be easier and quicker to get it as a e-book rather than venture up to that loft lol. I'm reading the rigante series by david gemmell, on book two "ravenheart".

Just finished "Walking on the Land" by Farley Mowat.

An important read for anybody wanting to acquire territory and "open up" a new country.

Just starting "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris.

You'll need a second bookmark for the "Notes" section.

Anybody else giving (or given) this book a try?

"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult. She's an awesome writer. Love her natural flow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Just finished "Walking on the Land" by Farley Mowat.

An important read for anybody wanting to acquire territory and "open up" a new country.
    RIP Farley Mowat.

I liked to claim him as "one of our own" as (I think) his ancestry linked back to Canisby

Thumbs up

Standing in an other mans grave by Ian Rankin. A Rebus novel set up and down the A9

Bunker Man by Duncan McLean.

He has a great grasp of the Scottish (or perhaps the North of Scotland) vernacular.

"The Handmaid's Tale, " by Margaret Atwood.
    Very thought provoking look at a post nuclear war scenario.
    My first time to read this author but certainly won't be the last.

Default Koran

Being tired of hearing other people give their "opinion/spin" on the Koran/Qu'ran, I'm giving it a try for myself.

I'm about halfway through and, earlier on around 2:62, I thought it may have some promise (at least for the Middle East) with the paragraph:

"Believers, those who follow the Jewish Faith, Christians and Sabaeans - whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does what is right - shall be rewarded by their Lord; they have nothing to fear or to regret."

"I am Malala," in depth story of the life of this amazing young woman who has just won The Nobel Peace Prize.
    This should be compulsary reading in all schools .

Default The book I am reading

I am just coming to the end of William Nicholson's book, Motherland.

A story about the struggles of a few middle class individuals in post war Britain.

I must say I have really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

The Story of John O` Groats by P. H. Emerson Full Title: Welsh Fary Tales and Other Stories.
    Last edited by sam09; 08-Jan-15 at 13:28.

Default More from the koran

What would you make of 21:27 (or thereabouts), which says:

Are the disbelievers unaware that the heavens and the earth were but one solid mass which we tore asunder, and that we made every living thing from water?

(for the record, this is from a "penguin classic" translated by N. J. Dawood)

Default And, earlier, there was this . . .

Koran 16:102:

"The Holy Spirit brought it down from your Lord . . . "

Not going as far as the christian idea of the trinity, but perhaps suggestive of a separate entity.

I wonder how it is rendered in Arabic?

38:50 (approx)

"the gardens of Eden" . . . . "Reclining there with bashful virgins for companions, they will call for abundant fruit and drink."

Just wondering what rewards bashful virgins can expect to receive in heaven.

Just finished "Philomena" and wondering if others had read it, and what they thought of it. I believe the film takes a completely different perspective. I was disappointed not to have seen the film when it was up here but having read the book, I don't think I'll bother with the film now. Sort of wish I'd seen it first.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast