Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Just finished reading Twilight New Moon. Im loving these books! Took me 12 hours reading time to get it done. And i dont like books lol

Waiting until i see the New Moon movie before i start reading Eclipse.
    I tried reading Twilight because my daughter-in-law and many of my friends were such avid fans but I just could not get into it. I gave it up at page 81.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Duck View Post
    Just finished "Map of Africa" by Eddy Nugent. Still giggling away at it, if you like to laugh .. read it.
    I just ordered it for the very reason you suggested.

Default Watcha Reading?

Waiting for my new book to arrive, A ragged Trousered Philantropist, by Robert Tressel

"The man called Cash," by Steve Turner.

"Dreams from my father" by Barak Obama, published in 1995.

So far, it's fascinating!

I am reading 'Charles Edward Stuart' by David Daiches.
    Well written and very interesting.

I'm wondering almost every page of Lord George Murray was a government agent.

And I never realised that the Highlanders did not want to turn back from Derby - that they grumbled because they wanted to go on to London. The versions I have read - not good versions- always said that Charlie's 'army' wanted to go home.

Untrue it seems - but a fine book this.

Under the dome by Stephen King
    I enjoyed it but not a patch on The Stand or his Dark Tower Series.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Default Two books about South Africa ...

Probably because of its prominence in the media over the recent World Cup, 2 novels caught my eye that were based in South Africa.

'Frankie and Stankie' by Barbara Trapido is a wonderful read - a coming of age novel (a format I usually avoid) which is made all the more compelling by its background of the introduction of Apartheid. She's a sparkling, witty writer who highlights the absurdity of the regime through clever observations and wry details. Highly recommended.

I also finished Jason Donald's 'Choke Chain', which was less about South African politics and more about internal family politics and the dynamics of a family led by a sadistic, ignorant father. Yet it avoided being a "misery memoir" - it was an intelligent analysis of father/son relationships and what it is to "be a man" in the most profound sense of the word. Again, a definite recommendation. Not comfortable reading, but a page-turner that I found hard to put down.

Two great books, chanced upon by accident.

I'm currently reading The Forbidden Game trilogy by L J Smith, the author of the Vampire Diaries books. Used to read it over and over when I was in high school, not quite as good as I remember it but still really good.
    I Was Born Brilliant; Education Ruined Me

In Venice I read 'The Siege of Venice' by Jonathan Keates. It's a history book but written with the pace of a novel. Venice revolted against the rule of Austria in 1848 and declared itself once more an independent republic. It was recognised immediately by the United States, but unfortunately Britain and France prevaricated over the issue. This allowed the Austrians to stifle all the revolts which took place all over their Italian domains, fight off an invasion by the King of Piedmont, and left Venice standing alone.

The Venetians blew up the newly built railway viaduct, manned their forts and fought on, led by their own Churchill figure, Daniele Manin.

They lost in the end and Manin sued for terms - the Austrians had put their artillery on high elevation and were bombarding the city, large parts of which suffered damage. Venice once again became part of the Austrian empire.

A good book to read under an umbrella on the beach- and then to catch a boat back, passing Manin's statue on the way back to the hotel and knowing who he was. To find a house and plaque in memory of the Bandiera brothers and know who they were; it filled a hole in my knowledge too.

So if you like history and are heading at any point for Venice I thought it a riveting read.

I just finished reading 'von Bek' by Michael Moorcock. It's fantasy and it was really a re-read because I read part one of it years ago under the title 'The Warhound and the World's Pain'.

Basically it follows the search of Ulrich von Bek, a man damned to Hell, for the holy grail, which he must find in order to save himself. Without revealing too much it involves a search for the cure to all evil - which may be defined as harmony. It's got the undead, demons, Lucifer himself, other realms outside earth and lots of good adventure.

In this volume 3 stories are piled into it as part one of the von Bek saga - and I really must get volume 2. I do not read much fiction, but I have just passed this on to my wife and usually we read different stuff - but she is riveted by it.

That has to be a recommendation!

I'm reading The spoils of time trilogy by Penny Vincenzi (fiction). Its about the Lytton family (a family of publishers) and starts just before the first world war and takes you through their lives. I'm on the 3rd book and its in the 1950's at the moment. The author really gets you into the characters and its set at a great pace. I have laughed, cried and raged all throught these books. Best read I've had for a long time

I've just finished reading twilight eclipse It;s just like the film but I enjoyed the books better trying to get hold of twiligt breaking dawn watched all the films and all most all the books

The Gruffalo and the gruffalos child....not through choice but from pester power...every time I pick up my book (Terry Pratchetts I Shall Wear Midnight) I can never seem to get more than one or two pages read...without re reading one of their books...Grrr and I am a fast reader usually finishing a book in one or two nights.

Just finished the Bored of the Rings Trilogy - great read! About to start my fav author Terry Brooks & Armageddons Children.

Pillars of the Earth - just picked it up the other day - so far so good! :O)

Does anyone read Jasper Fford's 'Thursday Next' books?
    Last edited by linnie612; 04-Jun-11 at 02:55.

I've just started reading 'To the River', by Olivia Laing. It's a fascinating journey along the river Ouse, where she explores the roles rivers play in human lives, through literature and mythology. It's partly a biography of Virginia Woolf, who drowned in the river. So far I'm enjoying it, but maybe I'm biased, as Olivia is my second cousin!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Quote Originally Posted by moureen View Post
    Hey you guys you are both into some heavy reading!!! I have just finished The Shack by Wm Paul Young it is about a man called MacKenzie who's daughter is murdered she is found in an abandoned shack and some years later MacKenzie is invited back to the shack for one weekend by God,there MacKenzie finds the answer to the qusetion WHY.
    Well, I would recommend poking your eyeballs out with a cocktail stick and serving them with a generous helping of gin before reading that book. Absolute nonsense.

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

The beauty with the Amazon Kindle - You can read several books at the same time and not get lost -

Just Finished - A Princess of Mars - By Edgar Rice Burroughs - Written in 1912 - I read this to get a glimpse into the new Disney movie "John Carter" that is getting released next spring!

John Carter a Confederate veteran of the American Civil War, goes prospecting in Arizona immediately after the war's end. Having struck a rich vein of gold, he runs afoul of the Apaches. While attempting to evade pursuit by hiding in a sacred cave, he is mysteriously transported to Mars, called "Barsoom" by its inhabitants. Carter finds that he has great strength and superhuman agility in this new environment as a result of its lesser gravity.
    I had all 11 of these Carter Novels on the kindle and will work my way thro them all...Very entertaining considering they were penned 100yrs ago!

Started Reading - The Dragon and the Unicorn - A.A.Attanasio - A fantastic retelling of the King Arthur story from the point of view of the Norse and Celtic Gods and the Eternal Dragon that slumbers within the molten core of the earth. Very poetic and the first book in a series.

Also reading - Resurrection - W.A.Harbinson - Set in modern day Jerusalem - The rising troubles between the palestinians and the zelot jews brings the country to the point of civil war and a tremendous Quake destroys the Temple Mount - revealing a mysterious black cube...very interesting book.

lol - Also reading - What Dreams May Come - Richard Matheson - I took up this book after remembering a movie by Robin Williams a while back - something about a guy killed and his wife commits suicide...and his exploits in the afterlife and an attempt to rescue her soul...The Book is different but interesting.

Lastly - The Fragment - Warren Fahy - A survey ship passes a remote south seas island and picks up a distress signal - They discover an eco-system unlike anywhere on earth where life is a constant fight for survival and mankind are NOT top of the food chain! Science mixed with adventure well worth a look.

Back to me books lol

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast