Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Watcha Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just finished reading Twilight New Moon. Im loving these books! Took me 12 hours reading time to get it done. And i dont like books lol

Waiting until i see the New Moon movie before i start reading Eclipse.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Who's turn for the stairs by Robert Douglas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whose-Turn-S...8916582&sr=8-1

Finished it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Default Magnificent Desolation

Buzz Aldrin's Autobiography (with Ken Abrams)

A real hero for me. A very complex man with a vision and drive that is hard to compare, but he brought many demons back from the moon and this book is as much about his battles with them, as any of his great achievements.

Highly recommended

Just finished "Map of Africa" by Eddy Nugent. Still giggling away at it, if you like to laugh .. read it.

Its about a fictional character who is based on the exploits of two Royal Signals guys and their time in uniform in the 80's, dont be put off by that as my missus read this book and the previous one called "Picking up the Brass" and laughed herself silly at them, and she hasnt a military atom in her body.

The description of dishevelled local women leaving the barrack blocks on a Saturday morning, still wearing Friday nights clothes, as "looking like extras from Michael Jackson's Thriller video" is pretty typical of the humour. Its written really well and keeps you grinning all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Duck View Post
    Just finished "Map of Africa" by Eddy Nugent. Still giggling away at it, if you like to laugh .. read it.
    I just ordered it for the very reason you suggested.

I'm reading the first volume of Churchills memoirs called The Second World War. It's called The Gathering Storm.
    Its an excellent book. Churchill writes with as much authority as he spoke.

Book: How the Scots Invented the Modern World
    Subtitle: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It
    Author: Arthur Herman, Ph.D in History from John Hopkins University
    Originally Published: 2001

For somebody who hated history at school, but did retain the odd name or two like Adam Smith, David Hume, Culloden, David Livingstone among many others, this was a page-turning experience! And, yes, if you see the specific threads of societal development explained, it could be fairly argued that the Scots did what the main and sub-titles claim.
    Great read for anyone who is Scottish or has a Scottish heritage.

I am actually reading a novel - which makes quite a change. It is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It is the story of Thomas Cromwell's rise to be Henry Vlll's chancellor and I have to say that it is holding my attention. When my wife gave it to me at first I thought it just another Tudor pot boiler, despite all the hype about it - and there has undoubtedly been that.

But I have to say that so far it's rather good.

Yesterday I finished reading 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel. My wife bought it for me for Xmas because it was listed for the Man Booker prize but I do not read a lot of fiction so I put it off until the beginning of February, fearing it might be the usual bodice-ripping, skirt swishing Tudor romance. Finally I dipped into it and I am glad I did.

It's written in a strange and rather compelling style which leads you to not want to put it down - yet it is not a book to scan.

It is, in short, the story of Thomas Cromwell- Mister Secretary to Henry VIII up to 1535. I am glad it stops there because he was at the peak of his powers and the story of his fall from grace and ugly death is not one I wanted to reprise.

It follows him from nobody, and throughout the book he builds layers of capabilities and power until there is one thought-stopping moment where he realises that the King is afraid of him.

Not physically - but of his sheer ability.

And it made me stop- because it was a sort of gunfighter moment. The one where the gunfighter realises that no matter how fast he is, there is always someone faster.

I'm not saying it is an easy read, for frankly it is not. It's a deep read and one that is waded through.

But I enjoyed it immensely and if you like to bathe in a book then you might too - but it takes a while.

Now I have started to read the biography of Arthur Martin-Leake, one of the three double VC winners - by Ann Clayton.

It's a much easier read.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Just finished reading Twilight New Moon. Im loving these books! Took me 12 hours reading time to get it done. And i dont like books lol

Waiting until i see the New Moon movie before i start reading Eclipse.
    I tried reading Twilight because my daughter-in-law and many of my friends were such avid fans but I just could not get into it. I gave it up at page 81.

Default Watcha Reading?

Waiting for my new book to arrive, A ragged Trousered Philantropist, by Robert Tressel

"The man called Cash," by Steve Turner.

"Dreams from my father" by Barak Obama, published in 1995.

So far, it's fascinating!

I am reading 'Charles Edward Stuart' by David Daiches.
    Well written and very interesting.

I'm wondering almost every page of Lord George Murray was a government agent.

And I never realised that the Highlanders did not want to turn back from Derby - that they grumbled because they wanted to go on to London. The versions I have read - not good versions- always said that Charlie's 'army' wanted to go home.

Untrue it seems - but a fine book this.

Under the dome by Stephen King
    I enjoyed it but not a patch on The Stand or his Dark Tower Series.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---