Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: staffies

Question staffies

hi i just wanted to no what every1 thinks adout staffordshire bull terriers. i personaly love them,they get bad rep from idiots using them as weapons and for fighting! i am hoping to rehome a stray from the dog warden. so would yous let me no what you think of them? thanks.
    dont judge staffies...its the owners that should be judged

I would not recommend it personally especially if you have young children.

You just have to google the breed to see how dangerous they can be in the wrong hands.

I've gotten into a few spats on here previously discussing this breed but I haven't changed my mind. I think it was in 2006 that Staffies were the top most reported dog for attacking/biting family members.

After all it's because of their aggressive nature that they are used for illegal dog fighting.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Exclamation

Sorry Julia, can't agree with you on that. They are no more agressive than any other dog.
    They are trained to fight by numb-skulls!
    The Staffie's nick-name is the "Nanny dog"!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

All the ones i've met have been Very friendly and soft lumps.....!!!
    And i agree with Aaldtimer.....!!!

personally i dont like them.. but thats just me.. they are a very scary breed. they are everywhere you look. it seems like every other person has one, but i just can not be comfy around them. again that is my personal feelings. im sure there are lovely ones out there.. but the damage they are capable of is just scary. i know any dog is capable of causing a lot of damage to people.. but with those hard mouths crushing jaws and super muscled bodies.. they scare me.. eek
    http://itqueries.com/

I would not have a Staffordshire, Alsatian, English Bull terrier or Akita/breeds related to them.

I have had, or known of some one, who has had a bad experience with these breeds.

I know that any breed in the wrong hands can be dangerous, i would watch any dog around children. After all they are animals and have wild instincts.

My Yorkie is so soft and good natured but i still keep a close watch when the grand children are around.

I am not frightened my self of any breed, but if you have some one who is unsure of them selves around a stubborn/dominant breed of dog. The dog will sense this and will take advantage.

This is my opinion and i am sure there will be many of you who will disagree with me.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

I think they are lovely dogs so very friendly and loving! Nothing beats a staffie smile.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Default Staffies?

I would not re-home a staffie as you won't know its temperment but they can be loving dogs if brought up right as puppies.

I personally, don't like them as they are one of the breeds of dog that have attacked mine while out for a walk, e.g. staffie, newfie and border collie.

Staffies are great wee dogs - its just the wrong owners and ignorant people who give them a bad press. Unfortunately the dog homes are bursting with them and staffie crosses because of irresponsible breeding and owners. Lots die every day, it is so sad. Good on you considering adopting one! I am sure that you wont be disappointed. If you want more information you may find someone like scottish staffie rescue useful. Common sense though as you would any dog. i.e dont let run free until you are 100% sure he is dog friendly and has good recall. and dont leave unsupervised with young children

Nothing does beat a staffie smile as Sarah says and the 'nanny dog' is so apt - Our staffie and my daughter are the best of friends. Also they can 'chat' you wont hear a more vocal dog in communicating their views lol

Good luck!

I hope you carry on and give a Staffie a home, they are lovely natured and very protective and faithful As always common sense must prevail when dogs and children are together, no matter the breed. Handled with with love and you will receive an abundance back.

Talking staffys

we have owned staffys all our lifes and have never ever any trouble with any of our dogs,,iv got 2 just now,,and i agree with aldtimer totaly,,its down to the small minded owners of the breed who use the breed as a status symbol!!!
    our dogs are not vivcous or aggresive to man woman or children or any thing for that matter!!!!infact a collie attack my oldest dog outside lidis the other day,,my dog was on alead too,,like i sed before me and my famliy have and do own staffys,,,they are a very much loved and trusted part of our family life,and will be for the forsible future,,collies are infact the most likely too attack you or your kids or pets acording to google,,i hope you get chance to give a staffy agood loving home FOR LIFE,,,
    cheers duke

Smile staffie

hi every1 we just got another staffie bitch called stella! she is red and white! 1 big bull head brindle male called diesel,1 brindle bitch called tara which we rehomed from balmore and our new edition stella.

Default staffies

plz carry on with all your comments its interesting to hear what yous think!

staffies are the most loveing and soft animals i have ever come across, its how they are brought up the same as every other breed, if u teach a poodle to be vicious it will! it annoys me when people judge poor defensless animals due to some ar*****ls raising them to fight

I know people with staffies and as a few folk have already mentioned,they are lovely dogs in the right hands and make excellent pet's, although i think by the time the dog you are planning to rescue may not be ideal as you never know it's background.
    As a dog warden said to me once it does'nt take much for thes dogs to turn, what i'm trying to say is if it is a staffie you want as a pet you should probably get one as a pup.
    good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke View Post
    we have owned staffys all our lifes and have never ever any trouble with any of our dogs,,iv got 2 just now,,and i agree with aldtimer totaly,,its down to the small minded owners of the breed who use the breed as a status symbol!!!
    our dogs are not vivcous or aggresive to man woman or children or any thing for that matter!!!!infact a collie attack my oldest dog outside lidis the other day,,my dog was on alead too,,like i sed before me and my famliy have and do own staffys,,,they are a very much loved and trusted part of our family life,and will be for the forsible future,,collies are infact the most likely too attack you or your kids or pets acording to google,,i hope you get chance to give a staffy agood loving home FOR LIFE,,,
    cheers duke

Collies are the most intelligent dog and most difficult to own again down to ownership and training, at the end of the day no dog is incapable of attack.

Exclamation

And at the end of the day, no dog is incapable of rehabilitation!
    It's NOT the breed!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

the staffies i have known are lovely dogs, soft lumps. very strong and energetic wee dogs. and like Sarah says, canny beat the smile :-)
    it's a sair fecht

I have known lots of staffies and they have all been lovely! Like a lot of breeds they have got a bad rep as there are some horrible people out there who breed them purely to fight or bring them up in a way which makes them unpredictable! Most families who keep them bring them up in a way which makes them loving and every bit as special as any other breed of dog is to a family.

All the staffies I have met have been cracking little dogs, soft as butter with people (except around the head, I've had a bust lip twice from an overenthusiastic bouncy staffie greeting, right hard skulls they have, lol ). Don't know if it's just the ones I know, but they have a funny way of 'talking' to you, sound like wee gremlins . They are not always great with other dogs though, depends how they've been raised I guess?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast