Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Ferry experiences ...

Default Ferry experiences ...

Next week we are all going to the Outer Hebrides for a short break, & the ferry sailing time is about 2 hrs.

What I was wondering is, have any of you been on ferry for that length of time with their woofers left on the car deck below, & alone for minimum 2 hrs ?

My two big ones have been to Ireland on a ferry for that period of time & were absolutley fine, but I'm a bit concerned about Bo ( 6month old )as he is such a cry baby.

I would love to hear of any stories or tips.
    Live the dream, don't dream the life

I've only ever had a dog on a ferry twice. Going to the Isle of Man which was a 4 hour crossing approx. On the way over we had to leave him in the car and he came out green about the gills and very sea sick - all over the car. It took him a couple of days to recover. On the way home we were able to book a cabin. He sat with us and had a good sleep and was first class when we docked. Hope this helps?
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - CONFUCIUS

Lovely crossing and ferry. my dog had no problems, the only thing that might be a problem is if the weathers windy as it can be pretty choppy then sometimes its worth taking a bone for them to chew on as it takes there mind completely off the journey.
    Live and let live

You going from Stornoway as that journey can be pretty choppy.
    Maybe you,d better see if the vet can give you some sea sick tablets for the dogs.

We want to take ours to Ireland but we'll see how you get on first.never known anyone whose taken there dogs on a "longer" boat crossing.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by topotheuk View Post
    I've only ever had a dog on a ferry twice. Going to the Isle of Man which was a 4 hour crossing approx. On the way over we had to leave him in the car and he came out green about the gills and very sea sick - all over the car. It took him a couple of days to recover. On the way home we were able to book a cabin. He sat with us and had a good sleep and was first class when we docked. Hope this helps?

AWWw your poor boy.

Yes I will leave them with some toys & bone to keep them occupied. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by S&LHEN View Post
    Lovely crossing and ferry. my dog had no problems, the only thing that might be a problem is if the weathers windy as it can be pretty choppy then sometimes its worth taking a bone for them to chew on as it takes there mind completely off the journey.

I think I will need a bone to chew on if the weather's bad, Im a terrible sailor, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    You going from Stornoway as that journey can be pretty choppy.
    Maybe you,d better see if the vet can give you some sea sick tablets for the dogs.

We want to take ours to Ireland but we'll see how you get on first.never known anyone whose taken there dogs on a "longer" boat crossing.

We are going from Uig on Skye to Lochmaddy,its a shorter crossing apparantley.

I have taken my adult dogs on a ferry to Ireland. we were towing a caravan so I put them in there with plenty of water for them & a comfy bed to sleep on, & they were absolutely. I must say that I never stopped worrying about them the whole crossing.

Its just my wee boy Bo he is only 6 months old, & a real cry baby that Im mostly concerned about.

Ireland is a beautifull country & well worth a trip over.

Our fur-kids are such a worry arent they, LOL.

You could try some natural remedies such as Rescue Remedy? Also leave an item of your clothing with them.

Sure it will be fine and you will all have a great time together!

DAP is really good and you can get a collar or spray from this site
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...ex&cPath=149_2

There are other remedies on this site as well including Travel Rite for travel sickness.
    Last edited by Liz; 07-Mar-10 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Rictina View Post
    We are going from Uig on Skye to Lochmaddy,its a shorter crossing apparantley.

I have taken my adult dogs on a ferry to Ireland. we were towing a caravan so I put them in there with plenty of water for them & a comfy bed to sleep on, & they were absolutely. I must say that I never stopped worrying about them the whole crossing.

Its just my wee boy Bo he is only 6 months old, & a real cry baby that Im mostly concerned about.

Ireland is a beautifull country & well worth a trip over.

Our fur-kids are such a worry arent they, LOL.
    I lived in Lochmaddy for 10 years until December 2010. My dogs travelled fine I was especially worried as my elder dog had fits, but she was fine. I gave them both a filled Kong. You could try that.

Are you staying in Lochmaddy? We used to own Lochmaddy Hotel.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!