Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: teachers

Default teachers

what do you think of our schoolteachers nowadays

I pity them - kids can be such little "you know what's" and there is little they can do regarding discipline. Having said that their starting salaries seem very high as say, compared to nurses - a good teacher is worth every penny but I think they are few and far between.

I think they actually do a wonderful job in todays society. I do not envy them.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

IMHO they get treated as badly as Social Workers. Whatever they do they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
    I don't think it's worth doing a three or four years undergraduate degree followed by a year or two PgDip at teacher training college to get landed in a classroom where some of the children are obnoxious and their parents as thick in the heid as s---e in a bottle.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

They're fighting a losing battle and are unbelieveably stressed. They cant discipline the unruly kids, are drowing in paper work and teaching seems to be secondary to that.

Dont envy them at all

i would say they have a hard job on there hands

I have a brilliant English teacher at Wick High

A completely unbiased opinion of Thurso High here -

http://uk.ratemyteachers.com/thurso-high-school/23785-s

Personally I admire teachers , especially since they can't give the belt anymore!

Teachers? those would be the barely educated "college drops outs", who in my experience cannot spell, let alone teach.
    It is with little wonder our children are illiterate on leaving school.
    these will be the same people who cannot command respect let alone attention from their young charges,
    and they are the same people who are leaving teaching because, they cannot touch / comfort / discipline a child in their care,
    teachers are not what they used to be,
    and maybe they shouldn't be, but children do go to school to learn and the very least a parent can hope for is a competent teacher in place.

I have friends who are teachers,
    I have relatives who were teachers, but I would not thank them to be in the position of "teaching" my child.

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    Teachers? those would be the barely educated "college drops outs", who in my experience cannot spell, let alone teach.
    It is with little wonder our children are illiterate on leaving school.
    these will be the same people who cannot command respect let alone attention from their young charges,
    and they are the same people who are leaving teaching because, they cannot touch / comfort / discipline a child in their care,
    teachers are not what they used to be,
    and maybe they shouldn't be, but children do go to school to learn and the very least a parent can hope for is a competent teacher in place.

I have friends who are teachers,
    I have relatives who were teachers, but I would not thank them to be in the position of "teaching" my child.
    I doubt your teacher would be a 'college drop out' since they have to be registered with the GTC Scotland and in order to do that they have to have completed (a) PGDE in the subject you graduated in, (b) a Bachelor of Education (BEd), or (c) a part-time or distant learning PGDE course.
    In any event it's not an easy pathway to teaching - and the end result? Get slagged off by all and sundry.
    IMHO the reason for the decline in education standards is directly related to the decline in discipline and a lack of respect for the teaching profession.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I doubt your teacher would be a 'college drop out' since they have to be registered with the GTC Scotland and in order to do that they have to have completed (a) PGDE in the subject you graduated in, (b) a Bachelor of Education (BEd), or (c) a part-time or distant learning PGDE course.
    In any event it's not an easy pathway to teaching - and the end result? Get slagged off by all and sundry.
    IMHO the reason for the decline in education standards is directly related to the decline in discipline and a lack of respect for the teaching profession.
    Everyone to their own.
    My teachers were strict, disciplined, educated, well travelled, well experienced, carers of their charges.
    Today's teachers fall out of college and into jobs which many are not well suited to.
    Today's teachers are overworked, overstressed and over the top in every sense of the word.
    "a child" cannot get close to their teacher, nor the teacher with the child, gone are the days of prefects, teachers pets and extra tuition to the brightest in class,
    there was a time that Scotland's education system was envied by the world, the same cannot be said today.

Everyone to their own.
    My teachers were strict, disciplined, educated, well travelled, well experienced, carers of their charges.
    Today's teachers fall out of college and into jobs which many are not well suited to.
    Today's teachers are overworked, overstressed and over the top in every sense of the word.
    "a child" cannot get close to their teacher, nor the teacher with the child, gone are the days of prefects, teachers pets and extra tuition to the brightest in class,
    there was a time that Scotland's education system was envied by the world, the same cannot be said today.
    I agree with most of what you say but I wouldn't be quick to lay the blame on the teachers themselves. Most of the problems stem from politicians and their grandiose ideas.
    Maya Angelou

well i know quite a lot of teachers and they do a very good job, the job is made harder for them by all the regulations that are in place.

Also i know a teacher very well that is quite happy to give up their free time to any people if it helps them to get their qualifacation in that particular subject

Teachers have no respect because there is no disiplin and because there is no disiplin it makes it harder for the kids that do want to learn but cant becuase of the other kids carrying on.
    Bring back the belt its that simple it never hurted anyone long term you could even restrict it so its the headmaster only person that does it so it can be controled better
    If you get an unruly kid he will soon get the message if hes getting the belt everytime he steps out of line

It's a sad fact of life than many of the children with 'challenging' behaviour have been shouted and screamed at and slapped around by their parents yet remain in their 'care'! Yet teachers are not even allowed to restrain these children when they're beating seven bells out of their classmates! We now have a situation where the lunatics are running the asylum.
    Thankfully there are children out there who do rise above all this and go on to take a constructive place in society. Unfortunately there are a significant minority that are going to repeat the cycle and be a drain on society all their miserable lives.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I agree with most of what you say but I wouldn't be quick to lay the blame on the teachers themselves. Most of the problems stem from politicians and their grandiose ideas.
    Concurred!

I think we are (on the whole) a fine bunch. Last Sept I started at a new school - inner city place - and have found it a refreshing and challenging change. Haven't regretted to move and have a good rapport with the students. Moved there from a 'posh' top-end state school.

The trick is to take the students as they are - times change and a good teacher learns to change with them.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    I think we are (on the whole) a fine bunch. Last Sept I started at a new school - inner city place - and have found it a refreshing and challenging change. Haven't regretted to move and have a good rapport with the students. Moved there from a 'posh' top-end state school.

The trick is to take the students as they are - times change and a good teacher learns to change with them.
    Well said.

the very least a parent can hope for is a competent teacher in place.
    I think you'll find that the best that teachers can hope for is a competent parent in place. People are quick to blame teachers for their kids poor performance, forgetting that they are the ones who developed the children's attitude and behaviour, long before they set foot in a school. Education doesn't begin (or end) in the classroom.

Of course you get bad teachers but at least they have to spend time getting a recognised qualification before doing their job. I don't think any blame should ever be placed firmly on one side or the other.

One thing is for sure - I would never teach.

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I think you'll find that the best that teachers can hope for is a competent parent in place. People are quick to blame teachers for their kids poor performance, forgetting that they are the ones who developed the children's attitude and behaviour, long before they set foot in a school. Education doesn't begin (or end) in the classroom.

Of course you get bad teachers but at least they have to spend time getting a recognised qualification before doing their job. I don't think any blame should ever be placed firmly on one side or the other.

One thing is for sure - I would never teach.
    My thoughts exactly, luskentyre. Teaching is a much more difficult job these days. Teachers often receive bare faced cheek from children whose parents have failed to teach them to respect their elders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast