Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    Teachers? those would be the barely educated "college drops outs", who in my experience cannot spell, let alone teach.
    It is with little wonder our children are illiterate on leaving school.
    these will be the same people who cannot command respect let alone attention from their young charges,
    and they are the same people who are leaving teaching because, they cannot touch / comfort / discipline a child in their care,
    teachers are not what they used to be,
    and maybe they shouldn't be, but children do go to school to learn and the very least a parent can hope for is a competent teacher in place.

I have friends who are teachers,
    I have relatives who were teachers, but I would not thank them to be in the position of "teaching" my child.
    What a ridiculous, illogical and ill educated post this is. College dropouts? Have you been watching too much American TV? Our teachers have to pass a degree in a relevant field and then study intensively for a PGCE, fight for a placement as part of the course and then hope to get a job at the end of it, there are no guarantees.

You're making a badly thought out sweeping statement based on a little knowledge of a certain cross section of your experience. Your bad experience is not a microcosm of teaching across a nation, what an absolutely preposterous statement.

Your lack of thought is bordering on offensive.

Also, your comment leads far too easily to comment upon the standard of your English. Not up to much is it? Any "barely educated college drops outs" (sic) would be able to take a red pen to it and sign it off with a big "See Me".

Also, I'm not a teacher.
    Last edited by mike.mckenzie; 06-Mar-10 at 20:01.

Very disrespectful headline here;

http://www.thenational.scot/news/165...a-maths-whizz/

No way to talk about a maths teacher.

There is a saying
    Those that can, do.
    Those that can’t, teach.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    There is a saying
    Those that can, do.
    Those that can’t, teach.
    Some people add another line to that saying "Those that can't teach, write books about it!"

Here is a photograph showing some teachers (as well as pupils) from the Thurso High Reunion fot pupils who started in 1977:

https://www.facebook.com/20041019332...660267/?type=3

Mr Nelson...Tongue Primary School and Mr Joyce....Golspie High School.Best two teachers ever!.

Can’t say any teacher at Thurso left any kind of positive impression on me.
    The careers advice there was woeful also. Was you could go to uni or work in Dounreay. No info on anything else at all.

One teacher at the high school left his mark on me. After an extended impasse one of the class eventually owned up to a misdemeanour, following which we all became Spartacus. We formed an orderly queue and he belted us all.

He would be struck off for that today. Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    One teacher at the high school left his mark on me. After an extended impasse one of the class eventually owned up to a misdemeanour, following which we all became Spartacus. We formed an orderly queue and he belted us all.

He would be struck off for that today. Thankfully.
    There was a thread about the belt a few years ago:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...trap-in-school

It seems strange to read these reminiscences from that bygone era. Some pupils were belted for trivial reasons. It seems especially harsh that a pupil was belted for a wrong spelling (which pupils with dyslexia could be prone to do) .

As in every walk of life there are good and bad. As someone has already said, politicians who interfere with the system 'to improve' it are responsible for teachers leaving the profession in droves because of the stress involved in implementing 'the improvements'. Perhaps if more attention was paid to teaching the fundamentals of writing and basic maths our young wouldn't be struggling to cope in the world of work.

The teacher who left his mark on me appears in both staff photos that were recently posted on the Thurso Heritage Society Facebook page. I pity him. Although I hope he is still with us.

I was sorry to see recently that one of my old teachers had passed away. He taught technical subjects at Thurso High School for many years.

http://dct.myfamilyannouncements.co....640748/pollock

He taught me woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing in second year. These were not subjects that I excelled in and so I dropped them when I went into third year. But I am sure that others chose these subjects for O grades and used these skills to get good jobs in later life.

Condolences to Mr Pollock’s family and friends. Teaching is a tough job. Unlike most jobs, it’s full-on most of the time.

Thats a shame Mr Pollock was a good teacher, old school.
    85 is good innings though
    W.A.T.P.

Mr Pollock, Mr Rogalski?, Mr Laybourne (I think that his wife was a teacher at the school), Mr Fishbourne? and Mr Baikie were the technical teachers when I was a pupil at Thurso High School.

Some of the pupils in my class were intrigued with Mr Pollock's strong Fife accent and did impressions of it when he was out of the room, but not in an unpleasant way.

I remember some of those teachers. Bill Baikie was larger than life. So were many others. It would be interesting to meet them all again.

Alex Salmond always reminded me of Bill Baikie. For good and not so good reasons. A bit of both really. Life would be duller without them.

I never had Mr Baikie the technical teacher, as a teacher except one day when the class's regular technical teacher was absent, he seemed ok to me.

However my most vivid memory of him was on Sports day 1975 when I was in First year at Thurso High School, when if I remember correctly, there was a staff versus pupils cricket match. Mr Baikie must have been hit in the face with a cricket ball, his face was bleeding. I am not sure if there were any further staff versus pupils cricket matches after that.

Is Mr Baikie still with us?

I heard of pupils playing in the staff vs pupils cricket match purely for the opportunity to throw a cricket ball at the head of their least favourite teacher without getting into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    I heard of pupils playing in the staff vs pupils cricket match purely for the opportunity to throw a cricket ball at the head of their least favourite teacher without getting into trouble.
    Naughty boys!!! I can't remember cricket being played much at Thurso High school back in the nineteen seventies, I would have liked to have played it as I didn't exactly shine at the other sports, perhaps I would have been better at cricket. The P.E. teachers in my day were Mr Kidd, Mr Brookes and a Mr Dewar (who came to the school in my later years).

I work at a school elsewhere in the country now and nowadays pupils can study for qualifications such as Higher etc in P.E., I can't remember pupils studying for P.E. qualifiications back in the nineteen seventies. Also classes have male and female pupils in them, rather than the all male or all female P.E. classes of the nineteen seventies.

Does this funeral announcement below relate to Mr Baikie the Technical teacher?

http://ajl.myfamilyannouncements.co....4249340/baikie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast