Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Scones

Default Scones

Hi, does anyone have a failsafe recipe for oven scones and cheese scones please

I've made these ones a few times & always go down a treat, from Nigella's How to be a domestic goddess:

500g plain flour
    1tsp salt
    2tsp bicarb
    4&1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    75g butter
    300ml milk
    75g grated mature cheddar (leave out for plain ones)
    1 lge beaten for egg-wash

sift dry ingredients & add cheddar if using, rub in butter until resembles damp sand, add all milk, mix very briefly, turn out onto floured surface and roll out to 3cm thick then use 6&1/2cm cutter to stamp out 10, then re-roll to make another 2. Place on baking tray close together and brush on egg-wash, bake in preheated oven (220/gas mrk 7) for 10 mins or until risen & golden.

Hi Truewoman

Thanks very much for the recipe, made the plain scones tonight and they turned out brill, gonna try the cheese one's tomorrow

Default scones

I had taken note of the recipe for these scones but only got around to making them today. I also just made the plain ones but they were such a success that I am going to try the cheese ones too. I am a very amateur baker so the recipe must be easy by time my scones were a success. :-)
    I tried my hand at vienesse fingers and surprisingly they turned out great too. None left already!!

good recipe they went down a treat thanks for sharing

Default Scones

Try adding small amount of red onions and i always add dry mustard to cheese scones, lovely eaten hot ... super dooper lol

Well they look and smell good - just waiting for them to cool enough that I don't burn my tongue on them

Tips I'd give are

- use the butter and milk at room temperature - cold stops them rising properly
    - Mix the milk in roughly with a metal spoon and then use the rolling process to bring the mix together to form a dough (this way means it cannot be overworked)
    - when cutting use a floured cutter and press down vertically. Slightly crooked results in wonky rising (easier said than done...)
    - leave them in a warm area for half an hour before baking as this allows them to rise a bit first. You can also roll them a bit thinner if you do this - I managed to get 17 out of the mix doing this.

The results

tried the cheese scones and they turned out lovely thank you for the recipe, however when i was tidying up i then realised that the flour expired in dec 08 duh!, mind you they didna taste any different, but will try again on sunday with slightly newer flour after a quicktrip to tesco lol!

however also made banana and coconut loaf and a chocolate sponge with in date self raising flour and they were fine!!

Give me one please!!!!!!!!!!!

All gone - make your own Dead easy honest

Smile Scones

Hi Truewoman,

Thank you for sharing your scone recipe. As its raining here at the mo , decided to try your cheese scone recipe. I didn't have mature cheddar but used double gloucester with onion and chives instead, delicious and very easy to do. My scones have never risen so well, I used a smaller cutter, by accident and ended up with thirty smaller scones. Will definitely try the plain scones to have with jam and cream! Yum, Yum!