Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New reactor for Dounreay??

Default New reactor for Dounreay??

Tony Blair indicates he would give the go-ahead to a new generation of nuclear power stations.

The Prime Minister said carbon emissions and Britain's growing reliance on imported gas meant the issue was "back on the agenda with a vengeance''.

Could we get one of these new reactors in Caithness?

In a speech to the CBI, Mr Blair said the twin pressures of climate change and energy security had put the issue at the top of the agenda in the UK and around the world.

The PM said he received "the first cut'' of the review this week. "The facts are stark,'' he said.

"By 2025 if current policy is unchanged there will be a dramatic gap on our targets to reduce CO2 emissions, we will become heavily dependent on gas and at the same time move from being 80/90% self-reliant in gas to 80/90% dependent on foreign imports, mostly from the Middle East and Africa and Russia.

"These facts put the replacement of nuclear power stations, a big push on renewables and a step-change on energy efficiency, engaging both business and consumers, back on the agenda with a vengeance.

"If we don't take these long-term decisions now, we will be committing a serious dereliction of our duty to the future of this country.''

The Prime Minister's unequivocal support will also increase pressure on Jack McConnell to declare his hand over a new generation of nuclear power stations in Scotland. Mr McConnell had always said he wanted to wait for the final report of the government-sponsored commission on radioactive waste before deciding, but this week he suggested he also wanted a "period of reflection" after this.

I don't think Jack McConnel will have much option here, nuclear power is, with current technology, a necessity if we are keen to generate more energy from wind power, or other 'unreliable' renewable sources. The problem is that we are all used to "power on demand"- ie when we turn on the switch we expect something to happen. Wind power is clean, but only provides reliable power about 25% of the time, when wind speeds are appropriate. As a back up, we must have a power source that can be turned on quickly to meet demand - nuclear power is the only one that can do this economically: ie building more wind turbines necessitates the building of more nuclear power stations. Governments have to do this! I just hope we get one here in Caithness.

Would think Dounreay is highly likely given that the preference is for using old sites.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I find it rather puzzling that many anti-windfarm protesters often cite the fact that the windfarms in Caithness will lose a lot of their energy on the way down south due to thermal losses but they seem to ignore that a nuclear power station will be subject to the same phenomenon.

In fact, a new reactor will need an upgrade to the Beauly-Denny line to take energy southwards then folk either side of the wind energy debate should be in favour of it.

Folk can't have it both ways...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Maybe Im missing something here but "with the preference for old sites"therefore if a power station was to come up here to Dounreay then the government is spending millions to clean up the mess that the old installation has created only to build a new nuclear power station on the same site..
    Anyway not sure this would be good for Caithness unless the operators make sure they put some of the benefits the way of the locals After the initial building stage the levels of employment is not very high Im not sure if Ringhals in Sweden employs more than 300 and some of the French stations even less so if there isnt employment from this thing then sweeteners should be demanded before a new installation is even considered in Caithness In a way its a shame we even think like this when the Pentland Firth has potentially enough power to light up the highlands within its tidal streams ....a technology the French have used for years

Rheghead is right about losses on the lines south from any nuclear reactor built at Dounreay.
    I suspect the powers that be will intimate that the closure of Dounreay be speeded up as fast as possible and with that looming and everybody cutting washers will then offer us a national waste repository which the desperate will welcome with open arms.
    I worked at Dounreay and don't think it was a bad place to work, quite the opposite, but it should only store it's own waste.
    Last edited by Victor Vendetta; 18-May-06 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Vendetta
    Rheghead is right about losses on the lines south from any nuclear reactor built at Dounreay.
    I suspect the powers that be will intimate that the closure of Dounreay be speeded up as fast as possible and with that looming and everybodys a*** cutting washers will then offer us a national waste repository which the desperate will welcome with open arms.
    I worked at Dounreay and don't think it was a bad place to work, quite the opposite, but it should only store it's own waste.
    Looks like the stars might land you in jail - have a nice stay but don't bend down in the shower!!

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Looks like the stars might land you in jail - have a nice stay but don't bend down in the shower!!
    Same goes for you, have another good stay for innuendo
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

What Stars ?