Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What PA are people Gigging with?

Default What PA are people Gigging with?

Leading on from the other thread in this section of the site i became curious about what other bands were using when playing in the pubs and halls in caithness?

What kind of setup do you use?
    Is is adequate/ loud enough for the venues you typically play?
    How easy is it to transport? (most people dont have access to a van!)
    What route would you reccommend taking if you were starting out?

Our PA is basically Thomann's own brand active speakers for both monitors and Front of House. We've also started using a Yamaha MG mixer. Its probably too loud for what we need but nevermind. We've used it without much problems in Y-Not before.

When we were just an acoustic set it was fairly easy to transport the PA & guitars in the back of ma fiesta, but now we have a fourth member and have some electric guitar involved I'm going to have to hitch the trailer back on now!

I'm still learning so I cant give much advice. But I would advise guitarists not to use the biggest and loudest amps ever made as theres really no need for them when playing small venues and they're just a pain to lug around.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Leading on from the other thread in this section of the site i became curious about what other bands were using when playing in the pubs and halls in caithness?

When I first started playing with a band back in nineteen rumpty tump I played some pretty big halls with a 30w amp.

The thing to remember is that doubling the power doesn't double the loudness, a 60w amp isn't twice as loud as a 30w amp, you need a 300w amp to be twice as loud as a 30w amp and a 3,000w amp to be twice as loud as that.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post

just put my rig together for my solo act "Direct Injection"

quite compact & could fit into the back seat of a car

2 guitars.Godin Electric with piezzo & synth access & a low tuned guild. Beta57 vocal mic, Rocktron Chameleon rack preamp for the electric, Ravenlabs acoustic blender preamp, Roland GR33 synth, TC electronics M-one, mackie desk & 2x KX audio 12+horn active cabs at 500watts p/side.

best advice, try & keep it simple.....I did say try

it works great so far (fingers crossed & praying to the electronic gods)

currently my pa is an old peavey mixer with an h/h 800 watt power amp running into a pair of jamo pro 200s and a pair of 1x12 celestion powercell bass bins although i need to upgrade the speakers and add an active crossover but i don't have the dosh yet to do that.

chobbers good synth man love the roland gr33 so versatile esp if you use it with pc i like using mine with reason for the organ sounds.

We have a Db Technologies set up nearing completion, speakers are in the post that is. Really looking forward to trying it out. We also have a couple of JBL monitors.
    Im currently looking around for a 31-band eq, for each of the monitor sends, amazing the amount of headroom gained by notching back a touch. Anybody got one going spare?

I know that it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the posts but I recently had the opportunity to perform through the Birmingham University's BEAST system:

http://www.beast.bham.ac.uk/about/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birming..._Sound_Theatre

Not quite a rock/gigging PA as you are describing but, wow - what a sound!