Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sportsrelief at John O Groats

Default the

the so call stars did not complete the cycle they did it on a relay witch is a lot easy they was on the coach fillin there faces and sleepin look at ian bothem he walked from 1 end to the other and not as relay, and alastair humphreys who cycle round the world all on his own they wat u call stars

Quote Originally Posted by sharona View Post
    the so call stars did not complete the cycle they did it on a relay witch is a lot easy they was on the coach fillin there faces and sleepin look at ian bothem he walked from 1 end to the other and not as relay, and alastair humphreys who cycle round the world all on his own they wat u call stars
    They may not have done the whole 1000 miles but the did it and they raised a LOT of money doing so,they could have just as easily chucked a hundred quid in the collection and not bothered doing anything,but they didnt,and I think they did a good job x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

i loved watching them on tv last night. i wish i was back home to see them in castletown! haggis at the beach haha!

i dont get people complaining about what they didnt do or because they are celebs, they should care about what they DID do. it was still hard work and it was all for a good cause and thats what matters.

I am watching it now as I recorded it. It is making me home-sick!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Default n

i would put my money to a good cause thats is no strangers only my family u no wat they say charity begins at home

Anyone who needs help deserves to be helped,watch the tv and then say charity begins at home! Its heartbreaking to know that in this day and age children are dying from easily cured diseases! I havent much but I have given what I can x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Default d

dont you think that britain is in a mess and there is poor familys workers wats lost there jobs , homes and there dignerty then there them on tv wats askin for money to help other parts of the world ask the mp to dig some of that money we all no about to give they will never so thats what i think,, loads can not get jobs because there is none to give money

I am unemployed,but I dont see why that would stop me caring that children are dying and we can help them,not all of the sports relief money goes to otehr countries,its given where its needed,its not for unemployed people,or poor people,its for people who need help with things like caring and health issues,the state of our country has nothing to do with charity x

If you go to the sports relief website you can search on a map/by postcode to see how they help in the UK. They have given money for projects in the highlands. Can't get much more local!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

I'm not much interested in the whole celeb thing, but I do admire these people. They could have chosen to hand out money I expect they'd never miss, or done nothing at all. Instead they've chosen to attempt something outwith their comfort zone to raise money for folk less privileged than themselves.

What can be bad about that? I watched Dougie and Fred - "'Up a Long Creek' - earlier in the week and again admired what they did for charity.

Some of the money from these events will go to help young carers get a break and experience a bit of the childhood they miss by looking after their parents. These kids are among the true heroes that Sports Relief helps and it was quite apparent that the celebs were genuinely touched by what these kids do. (It's sad that they have to rely on charities to help them out, but that would be a whole different thread.....)

I don't have much spare cash but I've given what I can to what I feel is a very good cause.

I fully support what SportRelief does and knew that the ride wasnt going to be easy. However after watching the programme I upped my donation quite a lot.

Ok, so they did it as a relay...they took four days to do it rather than the week or two it would take, but hell...look at what they went through. None of them turned round and said "Sod it, Im going home" It wasnt easy, they could have backed out, especially Miranda with her asthma (anyone with asthma will know just what she was going through and it doesnt show on film)

I think what they did was great, Sport Relief and Comic Relief help people in this country too, and without thier help a lot of people would be worse off.

Lightbulb sharona

sharona - I respect your opinion but on this occasion you're outnumbered by the many Orgers who recognise the effort the team made in covering 1000 miles in four days and raising over £1M. Of course they could have stayed at home, felt sorry for people in need and slung some money in a bucket; but they didn’t they got out and did something.
    All praise to Eddie Izzard too. He has to have been the most unlikely marathon runner but he made an effort and did so well.
    So sharona when you’re done belittling these ‘celebs’ and decide to do some fundraising that involves a terrific physical challenge be sure to let us know so we can support you too.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

SHARONA -if you concentrate reeeeally hard you might realise that this was not the Olympics. It was a fund raising event.

It was really successful.

It raised lots of funds.

Next time you fancy cycling from Thurso to Altnaharra in freezing conditions, in the dark, I'll sponsor you.
    Do you know where Altnaharra is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    All praise to Eddie Izzard too. He has to have been the most unlikely marathon runner but he made an effort and did so well.
    What a fantastic bloke; ordinary chap, not fit, not young, but running 43 Marathons in 51 days!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by sharona View Post
    i would put my money to a good cause thats is no strangers only my family u no wat they say charity begins at home
    Yes but it doesn't end there!

I respect anyone who put themselves out to help others and that includes 'celebs'.
    Sage I was the same as you and increased my donation after seeing the effort they all put in. Especially Eddie Izzard!
    I also watched the lassie from Blue Peter (can't remember her name) kayak across the Amazon and she did great. Haven't watched Dougie and Fred yet.

Sports Relief is a great cause as it helps people both at in the UK and Africa.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456