Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ghosts

Well I was a kid on Calder Drive in the early 60s, just round the corner from Heathfield rd and remember the houses being built. I never heard of any ghosts there though.
    But one ghost I can tell you about- the Mount Vernon spook.

There was a lady living on St Andrew's drive who was worried about her cat not being in and got up in the small hours of the morning calling 'Louey' out the door. Hearing no cat she put on her long white dressing gown and a headscarf and set off down the road .... and knowing the cat's habits went into the cemetery, it being broad moonlight, and wandered too and fro calling the cat's name - she found him just as the snow started.

She did not know that a lady at the back of Tormsdale place had seen her and she and her husband were watching in fear as the poor unquiet soul moaned about the cemetery. And of course next day there were no tracks in the snow...
    The story went round the estate like wildfire- and my mother told the cat lady over coffee... who realised she was the ghost.
    They never told anyone- I wonder if the story is still current????

Default Try Literature section

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Well I was a kid on Calder Drive in the early 60s, just round the corner from Heathfield rd and remember the houses being built. I never heard of any ghosts there though.
    But one ghost I can tell you about- the Mount Vernon spook.

There was a lady living on St Andrew's drive who was worried about her cat not being in and got up in the small hours of the morning calling 'Louey' out the door. Hearing no cat she put on her long white dressing gown and a headscarf and set off down the road .... and knowing the cat's habits went into the cemetery, it being broad moonlight, and wandered too and fro calling the cat's name - she found him just as the snow started.

She did not know that a lady at the back of Tormsdale place had seen her and she and her husband were watching in fear as the poor unquiet soul moaned about the cemetery. And of course next day there were no tracks in the snow...
    The story went round the estate like wildfire- and my mother told the cat lady over coffee... who realised she was the ghost.
    They never told anyone- I wonder if the story is still current????
    Read more about this in "A Childhood in Hyperborea" - or - "Possibly Ghosts", possibly.
    Last edited by David Banks; 18-Feb-16 at 16:52. Reason: added second "possibly"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234