Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ghosts

I love the ghosty stuff but am a bit suss about Kevins picture...did they only have black and white ghosts in the olden days..lol
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Animals also, have as much a connection to the invisible world. There have been many amazing stories regarding this phenomenon. In fact animals may be more sensitive than people imagine! Small children are receptive because they are more open.

I have seen a few.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I think every house in Thurso is haunted. At least every house ive ever been in and ive been in a few in .
    I never heard about Heathfierld Road but not long after the atomics was built there a was rumours of a haunted house in Brims road.
    I'd just like to mention that my original post was an attempt at humour and I dont associate myself in any way with the opinions on this thread.

I've seen too many to mention, but one of our old cats gave us a visit last night

Our first married house was an old miners cottage which had a lovely visitor...a little black cat, he used to rush past us on the stairs and sit in the doorway to the living room. Thing is you only saw half of him at a time, either the head half or the tail half. Was actually sad to leave him behind when we moved.

Oh come on its obvious that pic is a fake! Some pics are easier to work out than others.

yup, I agree with you, that is a total and obvious fake.

Isnt photoshop a wonderful thing

There are a good selection of more believable pics here

http://www.ourcuriousworld.com/FavGhostPXs.htm

I remember watching Arthur C Clarkes World of Strange Powers about this years ago and it scared the beejeesees oot o me

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Doreen View Post

This might sound stupid but has anyone heard of houses being haunted in heathfield road thurso i heard it used to be the grounds of the gallowes years ago
    "The gallows hill of Thurso was in the rough ground to the west of Naver House. This is a typical site in a prominent position near the junction of the old roads to the south and west and within sight of the old road to Halkirk. There is a small grass covered mound which probably marks the spot; although there is also a tradition that hanging took place in the field opposite Scrabster Service Station. Who the Thurso executioner was and how often he was asked to perform his gruesome task is now lost. The only execution on record took place on the 25th May 1711 at the Mercat cross of Thurso. Where Robert Munro, who had been convicted at the Circuit Court in Inverness of complicity in the murder of Baillie Laurence Calder, met his end."

Here's some more information on the Thurso gallows, this time gleaned from my "Old Thurso - Caithness Notebook No.4", authored by Donald Grant in the mid 1960s:

"During the period of the Norse occupation, the gallows were usually erected within easy reach of the meeting place of the "ting" or "thing", the local law-court, so that justice could be done without delay and seen to be done. In this area the court met on Scrabster Hill where the remains of a broch retain the name Thing's Wa or "law-court field". Less than a mile away, on the slope to the south-west of Pennyland Farm, the gallows stood on the Gallahill. The story goes that many of the Halkirk men implicated in the murder and burning of Bishop Adam in 1222 were hanged here by King Alexander II."

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post

My sister's in Heathfield Road, and they regularly have bother with a Muntergeist. It's like a Poltergeist but it moans all the time and is very irrational.
    In the 1960's, apparently some Dounreay bloke was done in by his wife, who had bad PMS at the time. With a pair of garden shears. Nasty.
    I lived in Thurso in the 1960s and 70s, and that's the first time I've heard of such a story. I'm sure I would have remembered something like that, had it really happened!!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I lived in Thurso in the 1960s and 70s, and that's the first time I've heard of such a story. I'm sure I would have remembered something like that, had it really happened!!
    I believe there was a cover-up; apparently he was a bit of a big-shot at Dounreay and her father was a local JP.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

I believe there was a cover-up; ...
    More likely that it simply did not attract the publicity that unsolved murders get.

The simple fact is domestic murders rarely attract much publicity because they are solved practically as soon as committed and partly out of respect for other family members who not only have to cope with the death of a loved one but also the knowledge that another loved one was responsible. In these cases newspapers simply use the official press releases and many dont even bother sending a reporter.
    The amount of publicity these murders get also depend on other news happening at the time. And let's face it a Jack the Ripper type unsolved murder story sells more newspapers than Mrs Smith stabbing her husband with the meat knife when she lost her temper.
    If the woman had pleaded guilty at an early stage this too would not have attracted much attention. How many times have you perhaps heard of someone appearing in court being charged with murder and thought to yourself that you didn't even know there had been a murder!
    As for her father being a JP. The case would have been dealt with outside the area because of possible conflict of interests, the difficulties in finding people who do not know the persons involved or of the incident etc. etc. Again this would not have attracted much interest from the newspapers - the local newspaper wouldn't bother to travel and the newspaper wherever the court case took place wouldn't bother because it was of no local interest.

Apart from which cover-up conspiracies are an American thing and certainly wouldn't have been in the North of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I'd just like to mention that my original post was an attempt at humour and I dont associate myself in any way with the opinions on this thread.
    Too late Gleeber, you are now officially (you can't say nutter anymore) a person of "realistic dysfunction"

Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    More likely that it simply did not attract the publicity that unsolved murders get.

The simple fact is domestic murders rarely attract much publicity because they are solved practically as soon as committed and partly out of respect for other family members who not only have to cope with the death of a loved one but also the knowledge that another loved one was responsible. In these cases newspapers simply use the official press releases and many dont even bother sending a reporter.
    The amount of publicity these murders get also depend on other news happening at the time. And let's face it a Jack the Ripper type unsolved murder story sells more newspapers than Mrs Smith stabbing her husband with the meat knife when she lost her temper.
    If the woman had pleaded guilty at an early stage this too would not have attracted much attention. How many times have you perhaps heard of someone appearing in court being charged with murder and thought to yourself that you didn't even know there had been a murder!
    As for her father being a JP. The case would have been dealt with outside the area because of possible conflict of interests, the difficulties in finding people who do not know the persons involved or of the incident etc. etc. Again this would not have attracted much interest from the newspapers - the local newspaper wouldn't bother to travel and the newspaper wherever the court case took place wouldn't bother because it was of no local interest.

Apart from which cover-up conspiracies are an American thing and certainly wouldn't have been in the North of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s.
    A fine piece of analysis Suzyq. You will go far on this forum.

BTW are you the susyq that was a poster on my bedroom wall when I was a young? I still like wearing leather

Question

Do you really think the Caithness Courier and the John o' Groats Journal wouldn't have reported on this alleged case?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

I believe there was a cover-up; apparently he was a bit of a big-shot at Dounreay and her father was a local JP.
    Now look what you've done

Ducati, don't you start on me with your anti-conspiracy no cover-up nonsense - these things should be exposed! They can't be allowed to get away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    BTW are you the susyq that was a poster on my bedroom wall when I was a young? I still like wearing leather
    No - and unfortunately I haven't aged as well as that one.

Ducati, don't you start on me with your anti-conspiracy no cover-up nonsense - these things should be exposed! They can't be allowed to get away with it!
    You've edited this. Bad Tubthumper

No - and unfortunately I haven't aged as well as that one.
    Now you see, this is why men shouldn't be allowed to talk to women.

Do I say: Oh I am sure you have?

You've edited this. Bad Tubthumper
    I never did! You think I'm paranoid, don't you!

Anyway, I suspect that the 'Groat' may have been guilty of missing the odd bit of interesting story now and again. I seem to remember tales of local business persons mysteriously ceasing. Possibly as a result of injunctions.... but who knows?

Heathfield Road = Riddled with spooks of all types.
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 02-Mar-10 at 19:51. Reason: Spellin

Now you see, this is why men shouldn't be allowed to talk to women.

Do I say: Oh I am sure you have?
    Naah! I'm known for calling a spade a flippin' shovel myself - and frequently do so when I've just looked in the mirror.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast