Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aerial Photography with Radio-Controlled Aircraft

Lightbulb Aerial Photography with Radio-Controlled Aircraft

Hi all,
    I have been flying RC aircraft for many years now, and have recently thought about adding a digital camera to an electric powered one to obtain some aerial pics.
    The aircraft is nearly finished, and has been designed by myself with all the necessary ideals for slow flight. I have an old Sanyo point and shoot 8MP that I will be using initially. It was a really poor camera, but will be fine for trials.
    The aircraft can operate up to heights of 1000ft on a good clear day, but Im hoping most of the photos will be taken from a couple of hundred feet to allow nice clear shots of houses etc, that will look better than when taken from a full size aircraft at a greater height.

Are there any recommendations for camera settings? I can fly a lot better that I can take a photo!!

Is there any viable commercial interest in this? Photos of peoples homes/ land etc? I am proposing taking the photos and then selling a CD of all the photos taken to the customer. Most people have photo printers themselves now anyway.

Your thoughts please....

Barry

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...light=kite+cam

Grants kite pics are really impressive. Check his kite cam posts. He's your man for settings.

Ive seen that before. Its the same idea with the lower altitude photos.
    My settings will be different though, as the aircraft will be moving. (albeit rather slowly)
    The aircraft will give the opportunity to position the camera for different angles/heights views etc much better and quicker than the kite cams. I could arrive at a shoot, fly for say 20 mins and take hundreds of pics in that time.

Very nice pics tho Grant- well done!

Kites or balloons seems well suited to ariel photography.

What excited me about rc aircraft is the possibility of 3D fly throughs on film.

As a wee aside, you can buy controllable radio linked video cameras which will fit inside an R/c plane cockpit and you can swivel it round and watch the image from the ground control unit. Try a search on Youtube.

Ive seen these units before Dog-eared. I was thinking about one of these for using as a camera viewfinder to frame the photos before taking them.

Is that the kind of thing your on about Boozeburglar?
    I took a few test shots on Saturday, but it was very windy and the plane was on its maiden flight.
    I have the photos here.

Here are a few test pics. They will get much better!!

I flew at Sarclet, near Wick. Can you see the outline of the dummy airfield runways laid out on the moor?
    Last edited by Even Chance; 19-Oct-10 at 08:06.

Looking good already.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Is there any viable commercial interest in this? Photos of peoples homes/ land etc? I am proposing taking the photos and then selling a CD of all the photos taken to the customer. Most people have photo printers themselves now anyway.

Your thoughts please....

Barry
    I would imagine there will be a lot of interest in aerial photographs of people's properties. Not just for individuals who want a piccie of their home but for building proposals and planning applications. It would certainly add a new dimension to the selling of properties too.
    Stick with it Barry, good luck, I don't think there are many in the Far North who are doing this at the moment.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Cheers Dave. I still need to sort out the settings yet. I was using the intellegent auto function. I was more interested in flight testing the aircraft. It proved the need for a larger wing area to give more lift at lower speeds. The aircraft is electric powered, and the photos were blurred when taken with the motor running, but perfectly clear when the motor was stopped. Maybe a faster shutter speed???? ISO??

Gronnuck-
    Cheers for the words, it means a lot. I also had the idea about estate agents selling houses. The ability to show a house/plot land and its extents overlaid onto an aerial photo for sales purposes would be a great selling point.
    Im just at the conceptual stages with this as yet, but the idea has been proven elsewhere, and is a bit hit in the States already. Im in it for the long haul......

Barry

Yes - good luck with this - Im sure it will be popular. I was desperate to get aerial photos of our home a couple of years back and it took ages to find someone that would do it (couldnt find anyone locally). In the end we had to get someone from Inverness - they flew over and took loads of shots which they put on a cd for us. Would be great if this service was provided locally.

Hi Pony,
    When you got someone to fly over and do your house, was it a full size aircraft, or a model?

Im still desperate for some photography help. Are you experts all too busy to help me with digital settings recommendations?

Mine was done by a full size plane - with a pilot and a photographer in it. But hopefully a model plane can do just as good a job - probably be cheaper therefore more popular even if the quality isnt as good!!

Good luck!!

Aah right. I see.
    Im hoping that the quality will actually be BETTER than using a full size plane. Much cheaper though, yer right!
    This is only the trials and experimentation stages. I can eventually build a larger aircraft to take pics using a Digital SLR camera. All I lack at the moment is the equipment! Im simply using what I have available to hand for the testing and start-up. This smaller setup is also an important part of the equation. I can fly from tighter landing areas, and take pics in more difficult to access locations.
    The aircraft is now ready to try for some more shots this weekend. It has a new wing and this should allow even better flight characteristics.
    Im also working on a movable camera mount. I have been asked about the possibility of taking survey shots looking directly down. I should have an answer for this soon as well.
    Last edited by Even Chance; 04-Mar-10 at 09:51.

Not taking anything away from your photos Even Chance, but have you seen the Orgs original Aerial photographers work

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...highlight=kite

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...highlight=kite
    Last edited by golach; 04-Mar-10 at 09:30.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Hi Golach,
    Aye, seen them as well. Davem put the link in up at the top of this thread. Impressive stuff! The kite seems a good stable platform. They also use helium balloons to achieve a camera platform.

Barry

I have started a Flickr page with higher resolution uploads.

Here is the page:-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/48127961@N08/

Barry

More photos added to my Flickr page.
    Quite a successful weekends flying was had.

Comments and constructive criticism very much welcomed.

If you want your house/land photographed, just PM me for details.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    More photos added to my Flickr page.
    Quite a successful weekends flying was had.

Comments and constructive criticism very much welcomed.

If you want your house/land photographed, just PM me for details.

Barry
    Impressive, if you can keep that sort of quality constant then you could be onto a winner.

nirofo.

Thanks nirofo.
    I took around 290 photos of a relatives house on Sunday morning. These of course yeilded quite a few useless photos, but there were a LOT of good photos to choose from. There were also a good few high altitude shots of the surrounding scenery.
    Learning where to point and position the aircraft when taking the photos is the true secret to this.
    I am still modifying the aircraft this week. I hope the weekend has decent weather to try it out again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast