Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Nato strike kills a number of Afghanistan civilians

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nato strike kills a number of Afghanistan civilians

A "number" is 33 dead
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8527627.stm

As aAdolf Eichmann once said about holocaust.
    "..10 is a lot, 100 more and anything over that is a statistic.." (or words to that effect)

And this was not even in area where NATO is engaged in a large offensive

We reap what we sow

Innocent people get killed in every conflict across the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Innocent people get killed in every conflict across the planet.
    I agree with what northener said here. War is not a pleasant thing and many innoscent people are victimised whether intended or not. I saw enough of that during WW2 to not want to experience anything like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    And this was not even in area where NATO is engaged in a large offensive We reap what we sow
    "Reap what we sow" - same comment for any war/conflict?

Don't really understand why you've brought the Nazi holocaust into it!

I have a worry here. (Apart obviously from the appalling loss of life).

I am reasonably aware of the many air sorties being carried out across Afghanistan and there nature has been of close air support. So a GR4 or whatever would be called by ground forces for a show of strength or as a last resort a bomb or missile run on a target that was an immediate threat.

Without knowing what was the action being engaged in here, it appears to me that this is more akin to strategic bombing, if NATO are targeting the movement of insurgents.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Without knowing what was the action being engaged in here, it appears to me that this is more akin to strategic bombing, if NATO are targeting the movement of insurgents.
    'A Nato statement said it was thought the convoy contained Taliban insurgents on their way to attack Afghan and foreign military forces.' (From Link above #1)

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    'A Nato statement said it was thought the convoy contained Taliban insurgents on their way to attack Afghan and foreign military forces.' (From Link above #1)
    Yes thanks for that. So I thought the usual use of air power would be to wait untill they actually were attacking so poss. seeing a shift in tactics?

The connection to Holocaust is to show how immune we have come to the killing of innocent people.
    The people who died were in three minibuses travelling in convoy in daylight. I doubt this is how resistance fighters travel

The connection to Holocaust is to show how immune we have come to the killing of innocent people.
    The people who died were in three minibuses travelling in convoy in daylight. I doubt this is how resistance fighters travel
    Holocaust: Premeditated Murder
    Afghanistan: misidentification - unintentional

Yes thanks for that. So I thought the usual use of air power would be to wait untill they actually were attacking so poss. seeing a shift in tactics?
    No, it's the same old tactics, one dead American soldier and there is outcry at home but kill as many Afghani women and children as you like, it aint gonna lose us any votes.

The message to Afghanis is simple, stay at home and you get your house bombed just in case there is a resistance fighter in there. Try to make it to safety and get your vehicles bombed on the off chance you are resistance fighters on their way to attack us.

Ignoring Fred's usual. The BBC news (telly) reported an investigation has been called into whether this strike adhered to rules of engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    No, it's the same old tactics, one dead American soldier and there is outcry at home but kill as many Afghani women and children as you like, it aint gonna lose us any votes.

The message to Afghanis is simple, stay at home and you get your house bombed just in case there is a resistance fighter in there. Try to make it to safety and get your vehicles bombed on the off chance you are resistance fighters on their way to attack us.
    I think that is (among many) the most stupid thing you've said.

Hearts and minds is the strategy. This is the last thing needed.

... it appears to me that this is more akin to strategic bombing, if NATO are targeting the movement of insurgents.
    "Strategic bombing" - otherwise known as indiscriminate slaughter.

Could someone please tell me why Afghanis living in their own country are called "insurgents"?

Both valid comments....'Do as we say and not as we do'....

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    "Strategic bombing" - otherwise known as indiscriminate slaughter.
    We're only trying to win their hearts and minds, we aint too bothered if their arms and legs get blown off so long as we get the hearts and minds.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We're only trying to win their hearts and minds, we aint too bothered if their arms and legs get blown off so long as we get the hearts and minds.
    Yes, and we'll make them grow opium poppies again, such that our democracy (the envy of the world) can keep the hospitals and morgues full of addicts.

And we'll jolly well build that oil and gas pipeline that their government (beastly fellows) had rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Yes, and we'll make them grow opium poppies again, such that our democracy (the envy of the world) can keep the hospitals and morgues full of addicts.
    And you talk about reason??

Lets hear you evidence for that classic
    Last edited by ducati; 23-Feb-10 at 08:35.

Isn't "news" a funnny thing.

We are now getting a string of headline news stories when there is a civilian death in Afghanistan, yet about 500,000 civilians lost their lives as a result of the Iraq invasion. Are they the 'un-people' then, and therefore no need to report on them ?

As aAdolf Eichmann once said about holocaust.
    "..10 is a lot, 100 more and anything over that is a statistic.." (or words to that effect)
    Are you referring to 'One death is a tradgedy, one million deaths is a statistic'?

A quote by a mass murderer, certainly - but attributed to our ally Uncle Joe Stalin.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post
    Are you referring to 'One death is a tradgedy, one million deaths is a statistic'?

A quote by a mass murderer, certainly - but attributed to our ally Uncle Joe Stalin.
    Thank you for correction.