Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double yellow lines

Default Double yellow lines

Is it true that once the Tesco opens that there will be double yellow lines on both sides of the road running from Tesco to Homebase, and that the car park behind Clydesdale Bank will be turned into the loading bay for the Bridge street shops?

Watched someone trying to reverse out of a drive on George Street the other night- it took her the best part of ten minutes- so I imagine that the lines will be a necessity. Also heard rumours that the Bignold Court car park may be 'trimmed' to widen the road. A friend in Thurso told me he's even heard a rumour of a ring road too. Surely that's not on the cards- or is it?
    Bagpuss

thought tesco was going up near the old glass factory? nowhere near homebase
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by footie chick
    It is going up beside the glass factory. Double yellow lines running all the way up to homebase.

No way! thought it was compulsary to park on the main street, to see who could get nearest the traffic lights . What about weddings/funerals do you only have a few mins to drop off
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss
    Is it true that once the Tesco opens that there will be double yellow lines on both sides of the road running from Tesco to Homebase, and that the car park behind Clydesdale Bank will be turned into the loading bay for the Bridge street shops?

Watched someone trying to reverse out of a drive on George Street the other night- it took her the best part of ten minutes- so I imagine that the lines will be a necessity. Also heard rumours that the Bignold Court car park may be 'trimmed' to widen the road. A friend in Thurso told me he's even heard a rumour of a ring road too. Surely that's not on the cards- or is it?
    That means there is going to be a lot of drive ways going in coz there a lot of houses on that route ..... but i cant see that ever happening it wont work .

No way! thought it was compulsary to park on the main street, to see who could get nearest the traffic lights. What about weddings/funerals do you only have a few mins to drop off
    Aye that's right, the bride will be getting winched down from a helicopter.
    As for funerals, i heard they are building a funeral parlour up beside the cemetry, so coffins can just be lifted over the wall.

quite handy for funerals they should cut down on costs
    all the same I cant see it working Traffic warden will be flat out
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Sounds to me like the Serious Rumour Brigade have been working overtime.
    Either that or Wick has suddenly developed delusions of grandeur.
    What next, underpasses and pedestrian sub-ways?

Has nobody mentioned the rail-link and the new motorway to cater for all the increased traffic to the Airport?
    Then there will have to be the second runway to cater for the Jumbo Jets landing at night.

Then there is going to be the problem of the construction traffic needed to build the massive hotels to accommodate all the people who want to stay to enjoy a week of "Shop 'till you Drop".

More likely it is an attempt by the doom-mongers and other interested parties to terrify the good people of Thurso into blocking Asda from going there.
    Necessity may be the Mother of Invention but you can generally be certain that if Fear is around you don't need to look far for the Father.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Sounds to me like the Serious Rumour Brigade have been working overtime.
    Either that or Wick has suddenly developed delusions of grandeur.
    What next, underpasses and pedestrian sub-ways?

Has nobody mentioned the rail-link and the new motorway to cater for all the increased traffic to the Airport?
    Then there will have to be the second runway to cater for the Jumbo Jets landing at night.

Then there is going to be the problem of the construction traffic needed to build the massive hotels to accommodate all the people who want to stay to enjoy a week of "Shop 'till you Drop".

More likely it is an attempt by the doom-mongers and other interested parties to terrify the good people of Thurso into blocking Asda from going there.
    Necessity may be the Mother of Invention but you can generally be certain that if Fear is around you don't need to look far for the Father.
    You forgot the deepwater berth that will sweep scrabster off the map as far as shipping goes LOL

The rules of parking in Wick, ye canna even stop for a 10p mixture...

Smile

I wouldn't worry about yellow lines, double or single going in. After all, at the present time a single yellow lines means that it is a good place to park, and a double yellow line means that it is excellent lol

Quote Originally Posted by laguna2
    I wouldn't worry about yellow lines, double or single going in. After all, at the present time a single yellow lines means that it is a good place to park, and a double yellow line means that it is excellent lol
    I always thought they were put there so I had plenty of room to park.

No double yellows up here!

We will just have grow tree's along Bridge Street then.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

The traffic warden will be in his element!.I parked the other day on a street with no lines and he knocked on my window asking me to move as there will be double yellow lines soon!!!!!!!!

Yeah you tell him

Quote Originally Posted by spurtle
    The traffic warden will be in his element!.I parked the other day on a street with no lines and he knocked on my window asking me to move as there will be double yellow lines soon!!!!!!!!
    No lines - no signs - no offence. And the signs and lines must comply with the Statutory Requirements also, but how many lines actually do after a while?

That's just the same as saying that it's OK to park on yellow lines because you won't be parking there soon!
    Try using that as an excuse in court an see what happens!

Heard a comment from someone who spoke with traffic warden- Highland Council may soon resurrect their plans to charge for car parking. Bill- can you comment on this please?

Nobody is taking this quite as seriously as I'd hoped- if parking a car in the town becomes difficult, how long do you think the town will remain viable? Anyone noticed how busy the retail park is? And how many parking spaces there are in front of it?

A friend who lives in Bignold Court is hopping mad at any suggestion of lopping the car park- tells me as JWSutherland still owns the car park- if he says yes to the plans, they can't do a thing about it.
    Bagpuss

Don't fall for the Car Park charges. I know this one of old and know what this idea behind it is.

Parking is invariable expensive in large urban areas. (Did I hear somebody whisper Inverness).
    To kill the incentive for people to shop in places other than large urban areas (surely not Inverness) you make the charges just as expensive in other places whether they need to be or not.
    The hope is that people will say, "In that case I might as well go to the large urban area (I didn't mention Inverness) and fill their pockets because it no more expensive to park than anywhere else!"

Large urban areas (Inverness? never) have lots of voters and lots of power so keep them happy and never mind elsewhere.
    Large urban areas everywhere have always believed that everything is there for their benefit and that everybody from the surrounding areas can't exist without them and should be made to pay for the privilege of having them there.

The city I lived next to for many years had exactly the same belief. Well, I've got news for them and all like minded Urban Areas, just why do they think I now live in Caithness?
    How would I feel if somebody swept them out of existence tomorrow? Would I feel their loss?
    Now let me see, how can I put it? How do you feel when you squash a midgie?

Don't fall for it. They've created their own headache themselves and now they want to smack you with a base-ball bat because they think you ought to be made to suffer like them.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss
    I don't know if it is true or not.

But if you look at the towns down south which have had Tescos and Homebases and Superdrugs for years and see what happened to them it might give you some idea of what is to come.

Same trick everywhere, Tesco's, Homebase or not.

First find a couple of places you can get away with convincing people they need parking restrictions.
    When they have accepted that idea convince them they need a Traffic Warden.
    Once they have accepted the Traffic Warden create lots and lots of parking restrictions and convince people that off the street parking is better.
    Slap large parking charges on all possible off street parking.
    Bingo! What a racket! Pay through the nose to the Council for something which was totally unnecessary in the first place.

In other walks of life it's called a "Protection Racket". First send the hitmen to smash up the place a couple of times. Then convince the owner it's better if he has "Protection". Stop the Hitmen from smashing the place up and the grateful owner just keep coughing up for the protection he wouldn't have really needed in the first place except for you creating the appearance of need.

And the Parking. What happens next? Well people start parking in the streets around the Town Centre.
    Residents complain. More yellow lines. Residents start to complain they have nowhere to park. What can be done?
    Residents Parking Permits - for a fee of course - well, it's the administrative costs, isn't it - £200 a year should cover it for a start but we will have to see if that's enough.
    And so it grows and grows and grows. More jobs for the boys, More and more money into the coffers as more and more people \re drawn into the net.

Well somebody has to pay for the Councils Delusions of Grandeur. There's all the cost of providing the infrastructure for the Administrative Centre to run such a huge Organisation, not to mention silly expensive and ego-boosting schemes such as "Inverness, European City of Culture, 2008".
    Inverness? Culture? You are more likely to get mauled by a Polar Bear in the Antarctic than find Culture in Inverness.

And where is the money going to come from to pay for this type of non-starter?
    "Quick, slap parking charges on everybody else's car parks! Besides, once that's payed for we can use the rest of the money to build a nice "Relief Road". They all pay for it and we get the benefit!
    Don't worry, they have heads more woolly then sheep, they're too stupid to see what we're up to!
    Besides, we can always put the blame on those new fangled super-dooper-watsits we let them have. We get the glory and they get the blame. Couldn't be better if we planned it.
    Pardon, what's that Willie? You mean we did plan it? Well I never! Are you sure? I didn't know we had the brains!"

And, apart from the last bit, should any of you think I'm joking, I've seen it all before.
    This is a game I have carefully watched played out since the mid 1970s in England.
    Caithness and similar places in the Highlands are classed as the suburbs of Inverness. You go into Inverness everyday to work, shop, use it amenities, visit it's cultural centres and then return home to your cosy huge expensive properties on the outskirts where you pay nothing to the place that gives you everything.
    You should be made to pay for Inverness to help it's poor needy citizens.

You know that's not a fact, I know that's not a fact, but when has that stopped anything.
    You look at when all power was transferred to Inverness and think back to when Caithness started to suffer a lack interest in and upkeep of it's infrastructure.

I've only been here about ten years and even I have noticed a vast decline during that time. It certainly didn't look this neglected when I first saw it, it looked like it had been looked after at that time.
    Something changed to cause the rot and I bet I don't need more than one guess as to what started it.
    I do know what started it south of the border though, it was the new, super-efficient, massive scale Councils who just couldn't wait to put their hands on more and more money to waste on loony ideas.
    "To hell with the peasants, just look at my wonderful, fairy-tale castle I've had built! As for the peasants, let them eat crumbs!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast