PDA

View Full Version : Off to Church

Tubthumper
21-Feb-10, 11:47
Maybe a bit late, but how many Orgers are off to (or have been to) church this morning?

shazzap
21-Feb-10, 11:57
No definitely not me.

gleeber
21-Feb-10, 11:58
I was passing St Peters and St Andrews 10 minutes ago and I saw an old friend going up the steps and just for a moment I thought how nice it would be to sing a few hymns.
I often think about popping in but its not easy.
I trust thinking about going to church fulfills the criteria of your question.

Errogie
21-Feb-10, 12:23
Just dispatched my other half in that direction then back to peaceful communion at the Org alter although the sunshine beckons from the outside world.

canuck
21-Feb-10, 14:31
It is now afternoon and I can report that I was at church this morning. :)

sandyr1
21-Feb-10, 17:01
Well done Canuck/
Did you see my post on V/P Joe Biden and his mitts?
Made a big thing of them at the Olympics!!
Even the Yanks love us.

Hoida
21-Feb-10, 17:33
Just back from church our service is at 2p.m. Sets one up for the week.

northener
21-Feb-10, 18:21
I was at the Blessing of the Numpties in the Sinclair Bay Hotel this aft.

Stavro
21-Feb-10, 19:31
Maybe a bit late, but how many Orgers are off to (or have been to) church this morning?

Not that many church buildings left to choose from now. Many have closed.

canuck
21-Feb-10, 20:12
Well done Canuck/
Did you see my post on V/P Joe Biden and his mitts?
Made a big thing of them at the Olympics!!
Even the Yanks love us.

The mitts are great!!!!

I saw Joe Biden on a Washington TV broadcast last Wednesday. I couldn't get over the gash on his forehead. It turns out that it was ashes from his attendance at an Ash Wednesday Service.

Whitewater
21-Feb-10, 22:50
I was at the Blessing of the Numpties in the Sinclair Bay Hotel this aft.

Nice place to be. I only ever seem to go to church for weddings, funerals and Christmas Eve carols. Nothing against the church but sometimes feel that many of the "Holy Willies" who attend regularly every Sunday are some of the biggest crooks in the town. You don't need to attend church to be a good Christian.

David Banks
21-Feb-10, 22:58
Not I, not for many moons.

But had a lovely visit with some of my Canadian family this afternoon.

oldmarine
21-Feb-10, 23:01

I try to go every Sunday and during Lent each Wednesday evening.

oldmarine
21-Feb-10, 23:09
In reading these posts it appears that churches have lost flavor for many of the younger generations. Perhaps even more.

NLP
22-Feb-10, 00:04
I went this morning as I do every sunday.

ShelleyCowie
22-Feb-10, 00:24
In reading these posts it appears that churches have lost flavor for many of the younger generations. Perhaps even more.

Sadly yes, my mum is a youth worker at her church in Thurso. They do have several kids-teens that go but mum said she feels the churches need to find a way to keep the kids coming.

I have attended church with my mum (im not really religious) but havent been for a while. I attend the christmas plays with my nephew in them aswell.

Oh not forgetting i actually go to church every monday and wednesday, but thats because our mother and toddler group is held there.

I think high percentage of churches have "updated" themselves to bring in the teens and kids. But some are lagging. Cant keep things in the past i say. :D

Vistravi
22-Feb-10, 12:30
I think it really depends on whether or not you are religious Oldmarine. I'm not in the slightest and i won't get my child christened. We are going to do a naming ceremony instead as neither of us are religious in any way. We both feel it is patrionsing to say you'll raise your child to life in gods path and all that when you don't believe in it.

Invisible
22-Feb-10, 12:34
I often visit the church of Tesco. I stopped going to proper church when they stopped handing out sweeties.

twiglet
22-Feb-10, 16:55
I went as usual.

Joefitz
22-Feb-10, 17:14
churches in the USA are radically different from Caithness, to say the least, and I never can get comfortable in one........or is that my past sins talking??
Go to the Xmas eve carol service, and the blessing of the baskets at easter, is all.

redeyedtreefrog
22-Feb-10, 17:15

Let them grow up and decide for themselves.

badger
22-Feb-10, 19:28
Went as usual. Often wonder how the hatch, match and despatch (or Christmas and Easter) brigade think churches survive without their regulars. They're always wanted in times of trouble and celebration and I think many would miss them if they weren't there.

I love the little church I go to - it's very friendly, sermons are always interesting, good chats and coffee after. Also a loving supportive community. There are many similar.