PDA

View Full Version : Such a thing as a free lunch

charlie
21-Feb-10, 01:26
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7858/Councillors_back_plans_to_cut_expenses.html

When you go to your work do YOU expect your employer to buy YOUR lunch? Discuss.

Quoting Miss Minogue "I should be so lucky...lucky lucky lucky"

bluechesse
21-Feb-10, 01:49
Yes. In fact, i positivley rely on them to! Id be kinda hungry if they stopped......

joxville
21-Feb-10, 01:54
In my day to day role, (geddit? roll!), I provide my own lunch. When I'm off to meetings etc. the company provides lunch, though ours is a private company, not funded by the taxpayer. I think the councillors should buy their own lunch.

sweetpea
21-Feb-10, 02:08
Inverness is a no brainer! The council headquarters is a goood 15 min commute to town centre where it costs double. Instead of having the on site caterers (they will always be dear)they should take a packed lunch.

Dr Evil
21-Feb-10, 02:26
i pay for three meals a day at work depemding where my main work is at teh time it is kind of funny due to the fact that when i clicked on the above link one of the sites advertised was for a career in the armed forces (Royal Navy), funny when you consider that councillors can claim £12 for lunch yet Naval Chefs get roughly a third/fourth of this per head for three meals a day.

EDDIE
21-Feb-10, 09:23
If any employee is going away to work and is staying overnight they should get there meals payed but if you are away for the day and back home the same day i would say no its not that hard to make up a piece box.I would probably make more sense to have a piecebox rather than wasting part of your lunch time going there and back and waiting for your dinner to be made especially if you have been travelling that day.
£12 for meal is not a lot really when i go away on courses we get £20 to spend on a meal and i moan at that and sometimes go over it slightly.If u have a start,main meal and desert and a soft drink. £20 isnt that much when u seen some of the prices in hotels that u are staying at.
A lot of people might think its great having a job were you have to work away from home and stay in hotels whether it be work,courses or meetings its not its actually quite boring a novelty at start but you cant beat sleeping in your own bed and being in your own home environment.
When you get a daily meal allowance i dont feel bad taking it and going over it slightly because its the company that has sent me to that location and its the company thats taking me out for a meal i would rather be at home than away thats why im entitled to have what ever want on the bar menu in the same respect if i was paying for it my self.

riggerboy
21-Feb-10, 09:25
all my food is free thats why i have to keep buying bigger clothes, free food make riggerboy a fat boy lol

EDDIE
21-Feb-10, 09:31
The other thing as well when we have branch meetings we have people come from as far as inverness and dundee and our boss goes to asda and buys milk.biscuits rolls jam for everyone and he claims it back on his expenses probably costs him about £25 if that and that covers about 15 people
Im quite sure if the council wanted to cut down on there expenses they could easy send someone to asda and do the same thing rather than have a ouside caterer and im quite sure there will be an employee quite willing to do it and have skive at the same time

gollach
21-Feb-10, 11:16
Im quite sure if the council wanted to cut down on there expenses they could easy send someone to asda

Great motivation for councillors to grant Asda planning permission for an Inverness store. Allow Asda to build a store or starve :lol:

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 12:48
When I worked for the council it was all paid lunches and while at courses or confrences and meetings we got bottles of water and ice also bowls of sweeties then cups of coffee etc with cream cakes and the works, Then lunch was all fancy soups and sandwiches + more cakes then there would be more coffee breaks.
Id have been a lot happier with a plain sandwich and none of the fancy stuff.
Our lunches or meeetings must have cost a fortune they tended to be in expensive hotels, .
On top we got our accomodation, travelling expenses and our time all paid. Wasnt complaining at the time but i can see now that theres a recession and things do need to change a bit for the good of everyone.