PDA

View Full Version : cat problem

Fran
20-Feb-10, 23:35
Hope someone may have had the experience I am having now with my cat. Not had him very long but he is always hungry. . He was being sick/diarohea for a while, the vet said I was overfeeding him. He is always shouting for food and rummaging. Just after he has been fed, eating quickly, he demands more. He meows loudy (siamese) all the time, is a terrible bully to my dog, and tips my bin all over the kitchen even when i am in the other room. He really has become a handful. Help, please??

S&LHEN
20-Feb-10, 23:39
Has he been wormed Fran this can be one of the signs non stop eating and not showing the weight by what hes eating.
Might be worth going to pets at home and getting some tablets if not.
Also stick to set times of feeding him animals work best (a bit like kids) if they have a routine.
xx

S&LHEN
20-Feb-10, 23:41
Also just thought maybe a bit of boredom there too ie tipping the bin and picking on the dog.
Get him some balls and a cat scratcher in case he starts on your wall paper.

teenybash
21-Feb-10, 00:25
Fran, Siamese can have a sensitive tum.....anything with beef isn't easy for them to digest and they will usually chuck it up or scoot it out the back.......same with milk.
I had a siamese and have had a couple of si crosses and all were the same food wise. They were all kept on a fish diet and were fine.
Has the vet checked the cat for malabsorbtion as this could see him always feeling hungry and rummaging for something to satify his hunger.
Whiskas OH so Fishy is very good as it is pure fish..............hope a change of diet gives you the solution. Fingers crossed for him as they are great characters.

Liz
21-Feb-10, 00:55
Sorry to hear that you are having problems Fran.

It may be that the behavioural probs and tummy problems are linked as if a cat isn't feeling very well they can be quite 'gurny'.

As Teenybash says it does sound like some kind of malabsorption. However, I have found that some cat foods are more filling than others. There are some that I give to mine which they are continually coming back for more whilst with others they are more satisfied.
It would be worth trying the food which Teenybash recommends as it might be easier to digest. Maybe you will have to experiment a wee bit to get a food which doesn't cause a reaction.
I know that one of my cats did used to react to quite a few foods and it took me a while to find some which suited him okay.
You can get some good 'natural' food from www.zooplus.co.uk

It would be worth trying a Feliway diffuser (www.vetuk.co.uk) as this can really help with behavioural problems.

Fran
21-Feb-10, 01:58
Thankyou for your advice. He was at the vets and on special chicken and rice food, he was wormed etc by the vet.He was on antibiotics. He has loads of toys balls scratching posts 2 beds..but prefers mine...freedom of the house and i just feed him chicken and fish dinners. He also has biscuits. there is no reason why he should be hungry and naughty. He is my4th siamese cat and i have never had a problem like this with them or the ordinary cats i have had.I also feed him at the same times.

Liz
21-Feb-10, 14:21
It would be worth trying Feliway Fran.

I have a holder you could get so you would just need to buy a refill.:D

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-10, 16:38
Fran i had this same problem with Brenon (Bengal kitty) and i thought it was a dominance thing to start with, he didnt want fintan having any food. Then i noticed he actually did have worms. I checked his poo all the time as he was still only tiny then just to be sure, it took about 4 weeks for the worms to be noticeable.

It took a good while to get rid of the worms though. He was just riddled with them and i have no idea how because he hadnt been outdoors.

He would eat and eat and eat, then spew it back up and poop everywhere because he couldnt make it to the litter tray on time.

Now he is perfect (still greedy) but doesnt over-eat and no more sickness.

Maybe worth de-worming the cat again to be sure.

Liz
21-Feb-10, 18:39
You are right Shelley in that some cats can have a really bad worm burden which takes longer than usual to clear.
This happened with my cat Charly.

Fran
24-Feb-10, 01:52
He was dewormed by the vet a week ago but didnt have worms, it was a precaution, and he has been regularly seen by the vet who haS ALWAYS WORMED HIM. hE WILL EVEN TIP THE BUCKET OVER IN THE KITCHEN when i am nearby AND STEAL PACKETS AND TAKE THEM UPSTAIRS. He makes a terrible noise all the time and wont leave my poor 9 year old dog alone. the poor dog now goes in the bathroom for peace and quiet.

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 10:48
He was dewormed by the vet a week ago but didnt have worms, it was a precaution, and he has been regularly seen by the vet who haS ALWAYS WORMED HIM. hE WILL EVEN TIP THE BUCKET OVER IN THE KITCHEN when i am nearby AND STEAL PACKETS AND TAKE THEM UPSTAIRS. He makes a terrible noise all the time and wont leave my poor 9 year old dog alone. the poor dog now goes in the bathroom for peace and quiet.

Oh that doesnt sound so good Fran. Is he an indoor cat? Or does he get out during the day or night?