20-Feb-10, 19:21
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4310/deadseal.jpg
and so of course the dog went and rolled all over it

Liz
21-Feb-10, 14:57
Oh the little rascal!:lol:

Thumper
21-Feb-10, 14:57
You should not allow your dog to roll in anything dead,bacteria around a dead carcass can cause lots of problems for your dog x

Liz
21-Feb-10, 15:00
You should not allow your dog to roll in anything dead,bacteria around a dead carcass can cause lots of problems for your dog x

I was just thinking that after I posted Thumper. Good point.

goldenguernsey
21-Feb-10, 16:01
I wouldnt want my dog rolling in anything dead especially something that smelled as bad as that seal did, its kind of hard to stop dogs homing in on stuff like that though, she was on it before I realised. She has had 2 baths already to get rid of the smell, it was aweful.

northener
21-Feb-10, 18:35
You ain't lived until you faithful lurcher decides to give you the runaround with a rotting seals' head in her mouth.......

...two days ago on Sinclair Bay beach.

Thumper
21-Feb-10, 18:43
I just thought that if you had time to take photos of it you would have time to stop it doing it,my mistake :confused: x

teenybash
21-Feb-10, 21:01
Such a look of heavenly pleasure while rolling on the dead seal. Afraid it's a doggy thing to roll on what we humans look on as yuk and if anyone has experience of trying to stop them once they have started, they will know how difficult it is........Best way to get rid of the niff is add vinegar to the bath water............Part of being a dog owner.:D

Liz
21-Feb-10, 23:39
Why do dogs love to roll in smelly stuff?:roll: Is it to disguise their scent?

Aaldtimer
22-Feb-10, 04:10
Why do dogs love to roll in smelly stuff?:roll: Is it to disguise their scent?

It's exactly that Liz, it's a "race memory" thing, back to when they had to hunt their prey to eat.
Disguise their own scent from the prey they had on the menu!:confused

northener
22-Feb-10, 11:07
It's exactly that Liz, it's a "race memory" thing, back to when they had to hunt their prey to eat.
Disguise their own scent from the prey they had on the menu!:confused

Mine must have come from a long line of fish-hunting dogs.

The score so far is a cod, a lumpfish, a wrasse and two rays' bream.

Plus countless seabirds, a seal, a seals head and something nasty in a plastic bag. And fox poo. Little git.

She can literally pick up their scent on the beach from about 300yards away and heads straight for them. Never misses them.:(