PDA

View Full Version : Looking after bunny

badger
20-Feb-10, 19:07
Now I know they've lost the plot. Forget looking after the elderly. Ignore the pregnant mums. Our revered Govt. has far more important things to think about. They are launching a Consultation into the Welfare of Rabbits. http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1615555

Don't get me wrong, I love rabbits.

unicorn
20-Feb-10, 19:15
Actually this as far as I am aware is in response to animal rights trying to force everyone to have 6 foot hutches etc. If that were to happen 99% of people keeping rabbits would be breaking the law. There are factions out there who believe every rabbit should have a 6 foot hutch with enough space to stand stretched up on their hind legs and anyone who doesn't have this is evil [evil]

ducati
20-Feb-10, 19:25
Actually this as far as I am aware is in response to animal rights trying to force everyone to have 6 foot hutches etc. If that were to happen 99% of people keeping rabbits would be breaking the law. There are factions out there who believe every rabbit should have a 6 foot hutch with enough space to stand stretched up on their hind legs and anyone who doesn't have this is evil [evil]

Yes they are

Fluff
20-Feb-10, 19:43
Unicorn, I am assuming by your post you do not agree with that?

unicorn
20-Feb-10, 19:58
It is not just not agreeing, It is a huge amount of space to give many breeds of rabbit, ie polish rabbits it would break its neck running round a hutch that size. It would also put an end to exhibiting rabbits as a hobby and I enjoy my hobby immensly as do others and I do not want to be forced out of it by something that is completely unworkable for so many people. It would undoubtably be the end of the rabbit fancy.

Stavro
20-Feb-10, 20:30
It is not just not agreeing, It is a huge amount of space to give many breeds of rabbit, ie polish rabbits it would break its neck running round a hutch that size. It would also put an end to exhibiting rabbits as a hobby and I enjoy my hobby immensly as do others and I do not want to be forced out of it by something that is completely unworkable for so many people. It would undoubtably be the end of the rabbit fancy.

I have not heard of exhibiting rabbits; what does that involve?

unicorn
20-Feb-10, 20:33
This is the British rabbit council website, it will show you all there is to know far better than I could describe :lol:
http://www.thebrc.org/

unicorn
20-Feb-10, 20:49
I was just querying it with our Lawyer within the Scottish fancy and it is as I had hoped basically a review of the way rabbits should be kept but it will also take into account the views of exhibitors so it is at least a chance for people to put across their views and hope they are listened to.

Stavro
20-Feb-10, 21:00
This is the British rabbit council website, it will show you all there is to know far better than I could describe :lol:
http://www.thebrc.org/

Thanks. Bit of a messy site, though, on my browser anyway.

sweetpea
21-Feb-10, 02:04
I have quite a few bunnies but they're all pets. I can understand that people want to exhibit and I think it's a good way of preserving breeds. On the other hand though who dictates what the breeds are?
From my own experience rabbits needs as much room as you can give them. One of mine has a base in the kithchen but is allowed to free range. All my others are in pairs in outdour complexes.
I have seen some well known pet shops sell rabbits that are clearly giants with the smallest and cheapest hutches, resulting in rabbits confined to shoe boxes with sore hocks and scabs all over them. I think that this is what this law is aimedat.

unicorn
21-Feb-10, 12:02
I absolutely agree many giant breeds are kept in far too small spaces, they absolutely do need a minimum of 6 foot hutch, that should be common sense.
The breeds are dictated by the British Rabbit Council in the UK, the American rabbit breeders association in America etc. The breed standards are there to ensure that animals are bred to that standard and people are breeding to better the breed.
Sore hocks can be a hereditary problem caused by breeding from animals who have poorly furred hocks and is mainly seen in larger breeds, the other cause of sore hocks though is bad hutch hygiene and not enough bedding, and breeds with large weight on their hocks or not such furry hocks like rex should always be kept on deep bedding, and be topped with straw or shredded paper to cushion them when they thump if alarmed, as rabbits do. Sadly many people buy from places where they are not given this simple information that prevent unnecessary suffering to their pet.
I do also think though that people should actively research any pet before they buy it, it is not difficult these days.

Tubthumper
21-Feb-10, 12:11
... ie polish rabbits...
You polish them?? :eek: Wouldn't brushing their hair be sufficient??

unicorn
21-Feb-10, 12:17
A polish rabbit is tiny it is maximum wieght of 2 1/2 lb and they are full of attitude. There are some pictures here http://www.stonehavenrabbits.co.uk/24432.html

Tubthumper
21-Feb-10, 12:19
Gorgeous. I never realised they could be trained for showing.

unicorn
21-Feb-10, 12:22
That is exactly how they must sit to be shown. Beautiful rabbits, that said I have seen them jump 12 foot from that position, They are like springs :lol:

badger
21-Feb-10, 23:03
I keep being asked when I'm going to get a pet and when I do it will be a rabbit. Best of all worlds as they can be house trained but don't kill birds and other wee beasties (as cats do) and don't have to be taken for walks, although of course you can :)

Still don't think they justify a Govt. Consultation. What can they possibly need to know that they can't just ask unicorn?

ducati
21-Feb-10, 23:37
I keep being asked when I'm going to get a pet and when I do it will be a rabbit. Best of all worlds as they can be house trained but don't kill birds and other wee beasties (as cats do) and don't have to be taken for walks, although of course you can :)

Still don't think they justify a Govt. Consultation. What can they possibly need to know that they can't just ask unicorn?

Pets of any sort make life more rewarding. Children definitely shouldn't be brought up without pets (turns them weird) and you never get a conspiracy nut with a pet. ;)

unicorn
22-Feb-10, 09:52
Thats exactly what the British Rrabbit Council members are hoping they will do badger, at least ask us our opinions.