PDA

View Full Version : screwed on postage ..again!

smithp
20-Feb-10, 13:44
Bought a rod on internet last week - standard P & P was £6, then got the usually speel about Highlands being a few quid extra blah, blah, blah - so my total postage was £10. Received the rod by Royal Mail recorded delivery - total cost £1.87 .

Not the first time this has happened and probably not the last!

locini
20-Feb-10, 13:46
You should have come to us then...

We are as cheap as the net for rods reels etc but no postage...

Simples...

Mik.M.
20-Feb-10, 19:27
Bought a rod on internet last week - standard P & P was £6, then got the usually speel about Highlands being a few quid extra blah, blah, blah - so my total postage was £10. Received the rod by Royal Mail recorded delivery - total cost £1.87 .

Make a complaint to them or if it`s Ebay leave feedback stating excessive postage,that usually works,oh and don`t use them again. Mik.

Invisible
20-Feb-10, 19:55
yeah i would definitely get in touch with the powers that be in ebay-land

onecalledk
20-Feb-10, 20:41
recorded delivery is not free , about £5 so your postage would be £1.87 PLUS the money it cost to send it to you recorded delivery ....... they also take in the cost of parceling up your goods, the rod tube isnt free either......

albeit it doesnt add up to £10!

K

EDDIE
20-Feb-10, 23:49

£1.87 thats cheap for recorded delivery if i was guessing i would have send around £8 for delivery.
At the end of the day why bid on something if ure not happy with the delivery cost I think the reason the person put £10 on wasnt so much for the cost for delivery it was to make a we bit more profit on the rod the person probably thought they would make much on the rod
I wouldnt leave a negative reply for that whats more important is how long it took to get to you and is the rod what u expected and not damaged thats what i would rate them on

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 00:10
The joys of living in the Highlands this issue really gets to me everyone on ebay is at it --- More so the power sellers Grrrrrrrrrr[evil][disgust]
Funny how postage is no dearer for us posting out to them we should put our own charges on see how they enjoy it!!

northener
21-Feb-10, 01:06
The joys of living in the Highlands this issue really gets to me everyone on ebay is at it --- More so the power sellers Grrrrrrrrrr[evil][disgust]
Funny how postage is no dearer for us posting out to them we should put our own charges on see how they enjoy it!!

:eek:

I'd never given that a moments thought before now. Is that correct?

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 11:37
Yes Notherner we dont need to pay extra posting out unless its outside Uk which you would kind of expect.
But the bigger companys on ebay are the ones that have excluding Highlands / Kw IV etc etc send a message for price of P&P its really annoying. They wont listen when you phone/message them. Ive lost count of the amount of items ive wanted and lost out on just because of us living in the Highlands!!:~(

:eek:

I'd never given that a moments thought before now. Is that correct?

Creme_Egg
21-Feb-10, 12:06
If people are that bothred about postage costs then you go and deliver or pick up the rod for £10!!

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 12:28
how can you agree with this? The whole point of the thread is how unfair postage charges are, How would you like it if you wanted to buy a toy for a child for £3.99 and it said postage & packaging £2.50 but then when you go to check out the postage and packaging is £8.00!! Please dont tell me thats fair when the same item leaving here to them would be £2.00. Your being made to pay more than the items worth just because were Kw !! Totally wrong in my honest opinion.
xx

If people are that bothred about postage costs then you go and deliver or pick up the rod for £10!!

EDDIE
21-Feb-10, 13:13
how can you agree with this? The whole point of the thread is how unfair postage charges are, How would you like it if you wanted to buy a toy for a child for £3.99 and it said postage & packaging £2.50 but then when you go to check out the postage and packaging is £8.00!! Please dont tell me thats fair when the same item leaving here to them would be £2.00. Your being made to pay more than the items worth just because were Kw !! Totally wrong in my honest opinion.
xx

If the toy was £3.99 and postage is £8.00 =£11.99 then if thats more than what the toy is worth dont buy it as simple as that if its cheaper to buy it locally then thats what to do.
As a matter of interest what was the name of the toy?

locini
21-Feb-10, 14:02
If the toy was £3.99 and postage is £8.00 =£11.99 then if thats more than what the toy is worth dont buy it as simple as that if its cheaper to buy it locally then thats what to do.

I agree with you here Eddie,

Lots of sellers especially on Ebay advertise products for really cheap prices, however some of the product profit margins can be added into the postage. Whether this is right or wrong is a completely different debate but whenever i go to buy a new product i always add the postage price to the product price to give a grand total. I then make my desicion on whether im saving any money or not and hence wether to buy from that seller or not.

Please also remember that postage is also not just the actual postage cost: I get annoyed at people who argue over a couple of quid extra charged onto postage when they take no consideration of:
Packaging, time, fuel to post office, web hosting, ebay fees, time spent, etc etc... Lots more goes on behind the scene to get your parcel out to you and to advertise the product to you in the first place. Again should this be added to the product price or postage? Does it make a difference it will still be added somewhere...

Adding additional postage to our KW post code is wrong i think we all agree on that, however if looking for a new item whether it be a toy, pram whatever you can usually find a seller which does not charge extra for this area. If you cant try a high street online shop. You may still find even with the added surcharge the origional seller may still be cheaper to buy from. I find its just a case of putting a wee bit more effort in when searching to buy a new product from the right seller.

Remember if you get hit by an additional surcharge from a seller which was not detailed in the listing or product page you are well within your rights to back out of the deal, as the extra has not been detailed. Always read the T & C's

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 15:02
It was for a John deere push along tractor though im not sure thats relevant and no I couldnt get it cheaper locally thats the thing.
On no place on the listing did it have extra charges listed its when i got the invoice because of the postcode they decided they could add extra.
Im not stupid I know all about wrapping the goods etc but im sorry they under no circumstance have a right to charge that and as for charging for petrol thats taking it a little bit far!!!!

locini
21-Feb-10, 15:55
and as for charging for petrol thats taking it a little bit far!!!!

Why is "charging for petrol a bit far!!!!" I live in Hill Of Forss and have to make runs to the post office at least 3 times a week, theres 624 miles a year best case, through the summer I have to go 5 times a week when we are busy. Do you expect me/the seller to pay for this him/herself out of his/her own pocket?? To me thats taking it a bit far... All im trying to convey is these expenses have to be absorbed somewhere. After all, businesses have to make money or theres no point providing the service or product in the first place. All expenses incurred in carrying out the business must be absorbed somewhere.

I agree with you regarding the surcharge for living up here, it gets on my nervs too, it just means you have to be a wee bit more selective when buying online.

As far as your purchase of the tractor, you would have been well within your rights to pull out of the deal if you had not been made fully aware of the surcharge prior to purchase, payment and checkout. After all it is the sellers responsibility to detail all these factors to the consumer from the outset.

EDDIE
21-Feb-10, 16:32
The thing is the only way you can control the cost of postage is by what the seller wants if Ebay was going to control this it would be like opening a can of worms with all the problems of policeing it for both partys.
If the tractor was cheaper on ebay with the postage cost than it would be to buy localy then whats your problem?

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 16:33
Dont include petrol in the postage and packaging and just post when your passing a post office and just put on your delivery time that you only post out once a week its not hard.
Its not P&P&P (postage,packaging and petrol) its call P&P for a reason its people that have hidden charges like this thats most annoying.
Bettyhill is not the most remote place in the world ive posted items from more remote areas.:confused

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 16:35
Erm whats my problem:eek: mmmmmmmm adding a huge amount extra for our postcode could have something to do with it and because the surcharge wasnt on the listing surely thats obvious:confused

The thing is the only way you can control the cost of postage is by what the seller wants if Ebay was going to control this it would be like opening a can of worms with all the problems of policeing it for both partys.
If the tractor was cheaper on ebay with the postage cost than it would be to buy localy then whats your problem?

joxville
21-Feb-10, 16:38
Where in the O.P. does it mention that it was bought off Ebay?

EDDIE
21-Feb-10, 16:39
Dont include petrol in the postage and packaging and just post when your passing a post office and just put on your delivery time that you only post out once a week its not hard.
Its not P&P&P (postage,packaging and petrol) its call P&P for a reason its people that have hidden charges like this thats most annoying.
Bettyhill is not the most remote place in the world ive posted items from more remote areas.:confused

But if that person did what you said and posted it 2 weeks later after you payed for it because that was the next time they were passing a post office you wouldnt be very happy with that

S&LHEN
21-Feb-10, 16:43
If they wrote it on there post yes I would. I wouldnt be happy if they never stated that.

Im not adding anymore comments just to get picked on and argued with when I only stated my side of it.
This is worse than a school playground!!

But if that person did what you said and posted it 2 weeks later after you payed for it because that was the next time they were passing a post office you wouldnt be very happy with that

locini
21-Feb-10, 16:43

Took the words right out of my mouth... Most of our customers want the stuff they ordered yesterday... Obviously there is no pleasing some people. The amount of bad feedback/press we would get if we left posting parcels to "when we were passing" or "once a week" would be unreal.

locini
21-Feb-10, 16:49

Your comment is quite naive.

Completely different example, but trying to explain myself:

If you were to go on a course for your employer - Do you think the expense for your training, travel and accomodation would not be reflected in the service or product they are selling?
Or
Do you think the owners/directors pay for it out their own pocket?

All expenses must be covered for the business to make profit.

Stefan
21-Feb-10, 18:13
I am in total agreement with both sides.

On a private note it is more than annoying for customers to be charged a premium for delivery into the Highlands especially when using Royal Mail, as Royal Mail themselves make no difference between any UK mainland areas.
Personally I avoid using such companies, even if it means paying more for an item at a fair postage rate.

On a business note I must say that charging for petrol for post office runs is certainly acceptable, same as charging for other outgoings. If a business would not do so it would quickly go bankrupt as it would make a loss on every item sold.

However, some businesses may use a parcel service who charge extra for delivering to the Highlands, so they are merely passing on an expense to the customers they seem to be unable to avoid as they have a contract deal with a certain courier. Some businesses simply take advantage of making a higher profit by charging a premium for delivery to the Highlands (and other areas).

It is up to us to define between the two and make a decision on whether to bite the bullet or to look elsewhere.

On a funny note I recently obtained a quote for delivery of a chest freezer to Caithness. The item AND the postage was cheaper in Germany, so guess where I will be ordering from.... I had to laugh at the guy who quoted me 145 GBP for delivery from England to Caithness when I had just been offered the same from Germany to Caithness for 150 Euros (135 GBP).

chiel
21-Feb-10, 19:36
Your comment is quite naive.

Completely different example, but trying to explain myself:

If you were to go on a course for your employer - Do you think the expense for your training, travel and accomodation would not be reflected in the service or product they are selling?
Or
Do you think the owners/directors pay for it out their own pocket?

All expenses must be covered for the business to make profit.

i agree with s+lhen,do tescos charge fuel on top of their home delivery,i dont think so,those costs come out of their bottom line, as for cost's do they not get the vat back?,couriers and carriers that come up with stuff also go back down with stuff,so why does it cost more to come up than down,or isnt that the case.

locini
21-Feb-10, 21:53
i agree with s+lhen,do tescos charge fuel on top of their home delivery,i dont think so,those costs come out of their bottom line, as for cost's do they not get the vat back?,couriers and carriers that come up with stuff also go back down with stuff,so why does it cost more to come up than down,or isnt that the case.

Cheil i agree with some of your point and what you are saying regarding Tesco no charging for fuel on deliveries -
However;
In an ideal world maybe but in the real world the same principles do not apply in business/costs between a small internet, online or even small retail premisis business to that of a multi billion leading supermarket chain!

Tesco can afford to make these so called gestures due to the massive amounts of profits made by buying and selling massive quantities in massive bulk, and yes by doing that they can offer Clubcards and free delivery, 5p off petrol Etc Etc... This is just not viable for smaller businesses, where i go back to my origional point of all costs must be absorbed somewhere - Even by Tesco.

Even although you may think you are not paying any petrol for your tesco delivery or the delivery man's wages, training, insurance, road tax, MOT's Etc.. Or your discounted shop using your clubcard, or the 5p off per litre at the pump, all the costs, will be added onto the products (maybe not the direct products) being delivered or bought - a wee bit here on orange juice a wee bit there on car insurance or cheese Etc Etc, so in essence covering the above mentioned costs. Do you really think Tesco gives you things for free out of the shareholders profits? :roll:

I recall saying in an earlier post that its a matter of choice by the individual seller of whether to add these costs to the actual product or to the delivery price, like already said though be sure of it, they get added somewhere...

Vat can be claimed back on costs but you have to be turning over more than 60k before being Vat registered. Many small retailers, Ebay sellers, small outlets simply are not turning over that volume, reducing the likleyhood of discounts being offered even more.

Wasn't origional discussion regarding Royal Mail?? I dont use courriers for sending my fishing equipment out so cant really comment about that from a seller point of view.

highland red
21-Feb-10, 22:08

Where did you purchase your goods from? Was it within the UK or The EU, or was it from outside the EU ( and advertised as if it was from within The EU)?

Ebay and other internet based sites are really great when it comes to cheap goods, but if from outside The EU may have import duties and import VAT levied on the entire cost of the goods including transit/shipping and brokerage charges.

Whitewater
21-Feb-10, 22:28
I buy off ebay quite often, if I wan't the item I don't mind paying the postage, but I have to agree that the postage can be excessive at times, particularly on small items.

Vistravi
21-Feb-10, 22:51
I have been quite lucky that i've not had to pay extra for living in the highlands so far. I'd drop a line to the company (Be it ebay or elsewhere) and complain about the hidden charges.

achingale
22-Feb-10, 10:45
I think it would be better to have a flat fee that covers the UK mainland. For example if you send something 20 miles away, it should cost the same if it is being sent 200 miles away and that way people up here in the Highlands would not feel we are being penalised for living in a remote area. I guess some business will not do this because most of their customers are in the higher populated areas so we have to take the hit.

onecalledk
22-Feb-10, 10:59
is that not the main point of the argument about delivery charges, the royal mail dont discriminate against UK mainland but KW IS NOT UK mainland, it is an Orkney postcode that is extended to cover Caithness which IS UK mainland. Surely the way to solve this is to get royal mail to change Caithness to a UK mainland postcode !

I appreciate that this is easily said and will probably not be done. As most people south of Perth are not even aware of where Inverness is let alone Caithness then they probably go by the information contained by royal mail stating KW is not mainland.

Having talked to various people from further south than Perth and having to explain exactly where even Inverness was (god its the capital of the highlands ) its astounding the lack of geographical knowledge that the rest of the UK has. To someone living in London , Newcastle is probably near the moon .......

I TOTALLY agree that the postal charges are unfair, its not juts postal charges but length of delivery time that is awful as well. I was once quoted for getting a go kart delivered to Inverness from northern england and the guy told me he would be cheaper sending it to spain. I have ordered goods from Europe who not only get here FASTER than some UK outlets but also cheaper ....

Living in Caithness means shopping around til you get what you want. If the company overcharge dont do business with them. Thats about all we can do at the moment until someone from the post office sees sense .....

K

bekisman
22-Feb-10, 11:00
recorded delivery is not free , about £5 so your postage would be £1.87 PLUS the money it cost to send it to you recorded delivery ....... they also take in the cost of parceling up your goods, the rod tube isnt free either...... albeit it doesnt add up to £10!
K

I thought: "Recorded Signed For™ costs just 75p plus First or Second Class postage" ?

Thumper
22-Feb-10, 11:35
A LOT of companies are using this excuse and its so annoying,I went to order clothes from a company the other day,but when i went to checkout they wanted £6 postage instead of £3 for everywhere else,I pointed out that if I posted something down to them it costs the same as them posting it to me,but they insisited that the PO charges them more to send it here,I told them that was rubbish and that I would take my business elsewhere x

golach
22-Feb-10, 11:40
Royal mail prices are here, and as far as I know they charge the same price if it is posted from Lands End to Baltasound.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400023&mediaId=11200122

Aaldtimer
22-Feb-10, 14:35
Royal mail prices are here, and as far as I know they charge the same price if it is posted from Lands End to John O Groats.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400023&mediaId=11200122

Make that Land's End to Baltasound!:)

Anji
22-Feb-10, 15:57
A LOT of companies are using this excuse and its so annoying,I went to order clothes from a company the other day,but when i went to checkout they wanted £6 postage instead of £3 for everywhere else,I pointed out that if I posted something down to them it costs the same as them posting it to me,but they insisited that the PO charges them more to send it here,I told them that was rubbish and that I would take my business elsewhere x

Well done, Thumper.
If more people did that, there would be less firms charging these ridiculous delivery charges.

achingale
23-Feb-10, 19:11
I am furious. I won an item on an auction website and it said delivery to the mainland UK was £10 - the item cost me £16. Now I got an e-mail saying they want another £8! That makes the postage more expensive than the item. I so wish companies would sort themselves out and say 'we only deliver to these postcodes at these prices but these postcodes will cost so-much.' Not happy at all, but I guess I am not all that surprised and I will not be the only one.