PDA

View Full Version : Rent Roll Estate of Forse plus Latheron Church Session book

Christina Baldwin
20-Feb-10, 07:37
I have a reference I will quote:
"James [Sutherland] the miller flourished about 200 years ago. He is mentioned in the rent roll of the Estate of Forse. He had at least three brothers, Donald, Charles and George. They all left descendants. Donald was an elder in Latheron church and his name appears often in the church session book. A remarkable record of his life was told me by several people. They said he paid eighty rents for the Borgue of Ousdale and lived there married to the one wife for eighty years. The couple must have both lived to a great age"
From Sutherlands of Ngaipu by Alex Sutherland. Published, New Zealand 1947 Narrative 1939 by Mr John Sutherland, Lybster, Caithness, pgs 137 & 138.
Query: Does anyone know where the records refered to are now located and is it possible to view them i.e.the rent roll of the Estate of Forse and the church session book of the Latheron church?
Thank you Christina

Invisible
20-Feb-10, 20:02
Have you tried Carnegie Library in Wick?

Christina Baldwin
21-Feb-10, 20:01
Thanks,
No I havent tried the library in Wick (is that the same library as you refer to) but I have a contact there so I will. Can't pop in though as I am in NZ.

Christina Baldwin
23-Mar-10, 21:55
To answer my own question, in case anyone else is interested, I think I have located these records at the National Archives of Scotland (NAS). Unfortunately I wont be able to visit and read them as the records are not scanned for on-line use but it is good to know they are there.

Repository
National Archives of Scotland
Reference
CH2/530
Title
Latheron Kirk Session
Dates
1734-1976

Plus a collection that relates to the families of Sutherland and of Forse, Sinclair of Forss and Sinclair Sutherland of Brabster. It was formed by amalgamating five groups of documents deposited in the Scottish Record Office between 1935 and 1964. The collection is worth a look at the detail of whats there.

Plus these records.
Repository
National Archives of Scotland
Reference
GD96/679/48
Title
Rentals of parish of Latheron

marionq
09-Jun-10, 12:56
Christina I have taken a note of the reference for the National Library in Edinburgh. I have already done some research on the Reay Estate for Eddrachillis so I will have a look at this reference of yours too. I can't get over there until July but I will get back to you at some point.

Marion