PDA

View Full Version : Civil service job transfers

webmannie
18-Mar-04, 02:11
Gordon Brown is planning to move 20,000 civil servants out of Whitehall to the regions.

Reckon Wick is due some good news!!

Time we had some up here eh?

Fifi
18-Mar-04, 16:06
Hmmm, decentralisation of services, following previous centralisation. Makes you think of hospital services doesn't it? Except we are at the centralisation stage at the moment.

These things always go in cycles - about 10 years from now 'they' will decide that civil service posts need to be centralised for efficiency reasons and it will all start again.

Good idea to push for that type of work in Wick tho' - it could become the civil service capital of Scotland and I'm pretty sure we would get improved air and road links then!

JAWS
19-Mar-04, 01:43
Don't be silly - The Civil Servant who could find Caithness, never mind Wick, has not been born yet.

It comes on that part of the map north of the Central Belt marked

DANGEROUS UNEXPLORED LANDS - THERE BE DEMONS

Anonymous
19-Mar-04, 10:45
dont knock civil service transfers, thats how we got here :)

squidge
19-Mar-04, 13:36
Dont forget

The Western Isles got a Debt Management Centre for Departmentfor Work and Pensions in the last year or so. I am not sure how many jobs it created but it shows that the powers that be do look outside the central belt occasionally

wicker
19-Mar-04, 13:59
I heard about this a while ago they are seemingly going to inverness and dundee and about that area. thats what i heard anyway :confused

golach
19-Mar-04, 14:06
Don't be silly - The Civil Servant who could find Caithness, never mind Wick, has not been born yet.

Jaws dont be silly, I am a Civil Servant of nearly 40 years service and I know where Wick is, ( though I don't want to live there).
A lot of Civil Servants work in the Government buildings in Wick and travel there everyday so they must know where Wick is
Golach

JAWS
19-Mar-04, 16:31
No offence intended - some of my best friends are civil servants :D

I know the term includes a lot of people in very necessary jobs.

It's more the ones with the "Edinburgh/London Syndrome" that I am talking about. The moment there is any suggestion that their Departments should be moved they seem to scream as if they were being shipped to the Gulags.

With modern communications de-centralied departments should not pose a problem. Work would be spread arround . Housing problems and congestion in the Central Belt would be eased. There are dozens of benefits, including easing unemployment in rural areas.

A great opportunity was missed when the Scottish Parliament was set up but everything was centralised from the start and of course, once done ........