PDA

View Full Version : Moon cheat

dafi
18-Feb-10, 23:16
One of the problems I get with the Cannon A590 didgiscoping is that in auto macro with the flash off you have no control over the exposure. This might not be so much of a problem in day light as aperture priority will take care of things but the light and dark of a thin moon in the viewfinder is a nightmare, i can never seem to get a fast enough shutter speed. Anyway tonight whilst messing about with settings in the dark I went back to auto switched to macro and forgot to turn off the flash. I never have flash on in the dark because of the flare on the glass doing in the picture. Tonight though I had the camera lens hard up against the eye piece and hay presto to my surprise the exposure had sorted its self and I had an image that wasn’t burnt out. I tried a few more and it worked fine, You just have to keep the light off the lenses and the brain does it for you all be it a little underexposed. Its funny how doing the wrong thing turns out to be the right one.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/dafiduck/IMG_0916.jpg

Mystical Potato Head
18-Feb-10, 23:27
Why aren't you shooting in manual mode and manual focus ?

dafi
19-Feb-10, 00:19
Cos i dont realy ken how! I might go over to appature priority for a faster shutter speed at times but thats about it really

Happy Guy
19-Feb-10, 11:03
Brilliant!

Leanne
19-Feb-10, 14:48
Nice picture! Works with microscopes too...

Fish embryo

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/DSC01699.jpg

kas
19-Feb-10, 21:47
Nice work dafi.

I couldnt believe my luck. I got a slr and just started to learn about photogrpahy when the OH took my my digiscoping camrera up Ben Loyal in minus double figures and it stopped working. Typical.

Will amybe try to get another.

You should try to learn manual mode as I am sure the results would be even better.

dafi
20-Feb-10, 00:20
Had a look today Kas, I googled up manual /manual focus today and had a bash in daylight and thought I had got a handle on it. Ha! Not a chance, the self focus box took half the screen, you couldn’t see the size of the moon in the viewfinder. As the camera lens was moved about the eyepiece it would switch off the manual focus.
Once lined up and going for it you then had to try and change the shutter speed and aperture as you go to find an exposure. Once all this was done (in the darkness I might add) the moon had drifted out of shot…loads of fun…..how are you supposed to do all that in the field and get that nervous bird….mmmm

dafi
20-Feb-10, 00:24
Nice one leanne, i have a cheap we microscope and its hopless to get a pic through.