PDA

View Full Version : Simpson Oils

essexbird
18-Feb-10, 15:38
I went into Simpsons office yesterday to pay my bill (ouch!) and passed the young lady my bill and my credit card, to which I was promptly told that if I want to pay by Credit card there would be a 2.5% charge, Debit cards are free.

I asked why there is an additional charge for paying by credit card and was told that they have just started to take credit cards and are passing the banks charges to the customer.

So be warned all out there, be prepared to pay extra if you want to use your flexi friend - I got an additional £15.94 added to my bill :(

Perhaps this 2.5% charge is a normal thing, but I have never come accross it in a shop before.

Has anyone else been charged this extra 2.5% - am I missing something or just loosing the plot :eek: ?

sandyr1
18-Feb-10, 15:47
I think you will find as things in the economy gets tighter and profit margins drop, that extra charge is being added on. It seems to be Universal/ have visited quite a few Countries and it is now appearing all over.

achingale
18-Feb-10, 16:43
essexbird, I have come across this before and like you I did not appreciate the extra cost incurred. This has been going on for a while depending on the company you are dealing with. I suppose you could complain but it would not do you any good. This is not a sign of the times however, as 10 years ago I discovered this charge and have had to pay it on numerous occasions since.

Kevin Milkins
18-Feb-10, 17:07
What grinds my gears is when you have to pay these charges for flights,etc. You have gone through a lengthy booking process on line and there is no other way of paying, other than by card. :mad:

In some circumstances , it's just plain sneaky.

Sage
18-Feb-10, 17:09
perhaps we should all start charging for our time :roll:

Mrs Bucket
18-Feb-10, 17:16
Other companies deliver to Caithness Brogan Fuels and Highland Fuels are two that I know of

badger
18-Feb-10, 18:11
When they phase out cheques we'll just have to use our cards and cough up, unless they expect us to carry wads of cash. Some people have started giving their bank details so you can transfer online and I quite like this - saves a lot of bother. Maybe that's how things will go in the future as everyone seems to assume we're "connected" these days.

Slightly off topic but I tried to buy a book token this week - used to be so simple. Not any more - they don't exist. You have to get a plastic card which has to be registered online in the shop, only it didn't work. Gave up in the end and sent a note which is probably illegal but had no choice. Suppose I could have bought a Postal Order (do they still exist?) but had no time.

lasher
18-Feb-10, 18:41
When they phase out cheques we'll just have to use our cards and cough up, unless they expect us to carry wads of cash. Some people have started giving their bank details so you can transfer online and I quite like this - saves a lot of bother. Maybe that's how things will go in the future as everyone seems to assume we're "connected" these days.

Slightly off topic but I tried to buy a book token this week - used to be so simple. Not any more - they don't exist. You have to get a plastic card which has to be registered online in the shop, only it didn't work. Gave up in the end and sent a note which is probably illegal but had no choice. Suppose I could have bought a Postal Order (do they still exist?) but had no time.
Why would it be illegal to send cash?

riggerboy
18-Feb-10, 18:46
if you pay by credit card there is a bank charge

the best thing to do is " step by step "

go to bank speak nice to man ask for cash

go to simpsons ask for bill hand over cash

no surcharge no problem
cash cash cash cash cash no other way

Angela
18-Feb-10, 18:58
They're not alone.

IKEA charge extra if you use a credit card but not a debit card - or so they said last time I was there. I think it was 2.5%.

Credit and debit cards are processed differently and I imagine they're passing on their merchant charges to the customer. This is one reason why not that many smaller companies take AMEX -their merchant charges are higher (or used to be when I had a shop) and can take quite a slice out of your profit.

bluechesse
18-Feb-10, 19:56
All businesses are charged for credit card transactions, so it's entirley up to them whether the add this charge to your bill, of take the hit them selves. It's not just the consumers who are suffereing in this time of economic crisis, businesses (particularly small, local ones) are struggling too. If they have just started accepting credit cards (this is something done for the convience of the customer, allowing you to put it on your credit card then pay it up) and it's costing an extra 2.5%, I'd say they are well within their rights to pass this charge on the the customer. If you paid by debit card or cash, it wouldn't cost them anything, so why should they lose out on 2.5% because you choose to use a credit card to pay?

Personally, I only use it when buying online or over the phone, and only then because it offers a greater deal of protection should some unscrusulous little git get a hold of your CC details.

At the end of the day, paying by credit card is for the benifit of the individual, not the business, so if thats how you want to pay and it costs extra, then I cant see why anyone else should have to foot the bill. And I know theres already interest on any outstanding CC balance, but the fact that you have to pay this and the 2.5% charge is the banks fault! As riggerboy said, if you have to use your credit card, go to the bank and get the cash out first (theres a charge from the bank for this also though!)

badger
18-Feb-10, 22:34
Why would it be illegal to send cash?

I sent a note and, although I thought someone told me once that you shouldn't, it's actually OK (just checked the RM website). But - you can't post coins, they mess up the machinery.

Phill
18-Feb-10, 22:41
It is quite common in certain places, you should have asked to pay by switch/meastro/ debit card. Normally a 50p charge or there abouts.

When you consider the amounts that are involved for the likes of Simpons it is the only option to add it as a surcharge, otherwise everyone's fuel goes up to cover the cost of credit card fees for a few.

But this is a thing to watch as the banks force us to go plastic completely, eventually you will see this hitting the high street, maybe even a surcharge for cash payments one day!

Cattach
19-Feb-10, 10:49
I simply do not shop with business charging the surcharge or go to hotels also doing so. Those business are using the Credit Card symbol and facility to encourage customers to deal with them and then they make an extra charge. They are actually using a form of advertising to entice a sale and then penalising the customer. They wish to have it both ways saying look I want your business but I will charge more for it. Unfair practice.

LMS
19-Feb-10, 11:07
if you pay by credit card there is a bank charge

the best thing to do is " step by step "

go to bank speak nice to man ask for cash

go to simpsons ask for bill hand over cash

no surcharge no problem
cash cash cash cash cash no other way

I can't state costs for other banks, but if Simpson's bank with RBS, they will be charged 67p per £100 to bank the customers' cash payments! Fair enough, not 2.5% but still another sneaky bank charge.
http://www.rbs.co.uk/content/business/current/downloads/scottish_tariff.pdf

Scarybiscuits03
19-Feb-10, 14:36
I get deliveries from Simpson Oils but I pay them a monthly direct debit, does everyone else not do this? Id hate to have to pay out for a full tank of oil at any one time, OUCH!

Cattach
19-Feb-10, 14:47
I get deliveries from Simpson Oils but I pay them a monthly direct debit, does everyone else not do this? Id hate to have to pay out for a full tank of oil at any one time, OUCH!

I never do this with any company. I keep the money in my own separate account for such things and get the interest rather than them getting it. Not a lot of interest just now but still something for me and not companies building up a cash researve on my money and getting the interest too. I use credit card for companies not surcharging and pay off each month getting up to six weeks interest free credit while my money earn the interest in my account. Lots of ways to save some money if you think about it. Pay all bills with Marks and Spencers card for example, pay off couple of weeks after bill comes in and get vouchers to spend from Marks. good for shopping when on holiday.

buggyracer
19-Feb-10, 16:21
buy from another supplier who doesnt charge the 2.5% vote with your feet ;)

scrabster view
19-Feb-10, 17:31

We have just had 1200 litres in our oil tank, the difference in price between Scottish Fuels and Simpson Oils was £3 so we stuck with Scottish Fuels, who allows us to pay using our credit card but with no charges :lol:

bluechesse
19-Feb-10, 17:37
I simply do not shop with business charging the surcharge or go to hotels also doing so. Those business are using the Credit Card symbol and facility to encourage customers to deal with them and then they make an extra charge. They are actually using a form of advertising to entice a sale and then penalising the customer. They wish to have it both ways saying look I want your business but I will charge more for it. Unfair practice.

Think the original post said that Simpsons had JUST STARTED accepting credit cards. If this is the case, then this does not apply to them, as most of their customer base will be long standing customers. And the bottom line is this, they, and all other businesses who sell ANYTHING to the public will accept other forms of payment that will not cost you a bean, ie, bank transfer, cheque, cash, debit card. You dont have to pay by credit card, doing so is merely a convience for the customer. It makes no difference to them how they get their money, and they will be quite happy to take nay other form of payment, so i reitterate, if their is a charge levied by the bank for something that is to the benifit of the customer, not the business, they are quite within their rights to pass it on to the person it benifits, ie, the customer.

And one more thing, a big sign out side with VISA on it does not HAVE to mean credit cards. Many debit cards are now visa, and these dont carry any charges.

Jeid
19-Feb-10, 20:48
I mind years ago getting charged a 2% surcharge on stuff. I wasn't keen.

DopeyDan
19-Feb-10, 21:41
Why would you want to use a CREDIT card to buy your heating fuel ? Heating is expense enough as it is, without having to pay interest as well.

essexbird
20-Feb-10, 11:19
I know, but the tempation of them tesco club card points was too much for me and I always pay the full balance at the end of each month, so no interest.

DopeyDan
20-Feb-10, 13:09
I know, but the tempation of them tesco club card points was too much for me and I always pay the full balance at the end of each month, so no interest.

No interest, but just an extra 2.5% on your heating bill. How does that equate to the value of the associated Tesco points ? I suspect there is no comparison.

crayola
20-Feb-10, 15:49
When they phase out cheques we'll just have to use our cards and cough up, unless they expect us to carry wads of cashThe charge is for credit cards not debit cards. This is quite common and I believe it reflects the amount the credit card companies charge the retailer.