PDA

View Full Version : What makes you buy artwork?

Sage
17-Feb-10, 15:43
Ok, in my spare time I create digital fractal artwork. It's something I enjoy immensley and I sell work via redbubble.com

Indulge me for a minute :lol:

What gets you buying art? Do you buy prints, originals, posters, postcards? Why do you buy it and what does it bring you personally? Is is a luxury or disposable for you?

Just interested (ok...and nosey ;) )

onecalledk
17-Feb-10, 15:52
hi there

had a look at the site and it has some amazing artwork on it. What name do you sell under ?

I buy art work for how it makes me feel, so if a piece of artwork resonates for me I buy it.

K

Boozeburglar
17-Feb-10, 15:56
I buy originals where I have an interest. I have no prints, but a fair number of obscure originals, nothing expensive. When I see something I like I buy it for my wife, and she does likewise.

Quite partial to my Hendrix posters and such, but they are all rolled up these days.

Dadie
17-Feb-10, 15:57
I buy something if I really like it.
You know .. having to go and look at it again and again....
And if I can afford it but it is usually prints.
I have 2 nice pen and ink prints I got in Hawaii of turtles but each part of the turtle has a different picture in it, kinda hard to describe, that I love.
A tree of life from egypt done on papyrus because I liked the colours.
Print of a local scene for my sister... dont know if she liked it or not really!
Photos and a print of the cairngorm area for Dad as he used to do a lot of walking in the areas in the photos.
Prints of spaniels for dad as they reminded me of mum and dads dogs.

Hmmn I tend to buy for other people!

Invisible
17-Feb-10, 15:58
I buy art for the colours, also I love scene's of landscape and cities/towns and animals in wilderness.

Sage
17-Feb-10, 16:00
aw Dadie...buy for yourself too :D

I buy something every year at the Caithness Artists Exhibition and quite frequently I'll see something that I just have to have. None of it really expensive.

K - I sell under the name elviratsquirrel (wont put the link up in case the mods think its advertising :eek: )

Dadie
17-Feb-10, 16:04
I have no wall space for proper artwork!
All the art that is displayed in my house comes from my 2 little girls and has to have pride of place before it "magically disapears"
Was thinking of some large glass clip frames to display their efforts in:lol:
the pink paint and feather one is up at the moment

Invisible
17-Feb-10, 16:04
... I sell under the name elviratsquirrel (wont put the link up in case the mods think its advertising :eek: )

wow! - I like "OH Flip", "Throne of the Cat King" and "Big Skies"

Sage
17-Feb-10, 16:10
Ha Dadie..snap! the kids artwork MUST have pride of place :)

Thanks Invisible :o

miranda
17-Feb-10, 20:37
like them all cant pick a favourite :)

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-10, 21:02
Love them all but my favourites are "oh flip" and "the spiral of doom" :Razz

What size are the prints?

northener
17-Feb-10, 21:32
Whatever takes my fancy.

Mainly landscape, with a leaning towards winter scenes. But historical 'life' works really draw my eye - such as anything by Hogarth. I've a full set of prints (Industry and Idleness) which I bought about 20 years ago that are still waiting to be framed (and still waiting for me to buy a house big enough to display them all in:roll:)

And I do like some C17th century stuff. Especially Georges de la Tour, I've got a print of 'The Dice Players' which I bought after seeing the original at Preston Hall near Yarm. Stunning work.

Plus some work by my brother - he's bloody good.

Sage
17-Feb-10, 23:07
oooh Northerner :) Im from that neck of the woods and love going to see the Dice players...in its darkened room :)

Shelly...different sizes to suit.

The reason I posted this was that on one of my "lists" the artists have been talking about what constitutes "art". Many purists dont see fractals as art, and many fractalists are split as to what makes good fractal art.

I get interested in why people like certain types of art, what makes them want to buy them and hang them in their living space.

Personally I love my fractal art, but my "tastes" range from cartoon type images to the old masters. I love the old masters, Russian Iconography and the Impressionists. Woudnt give a Jackson Pollock house room.

My all time favourite however are the Pre-Raphaelites, but I'll never be in the pay bracket to even own a corner of one :lol:

Red
17-Feb-10, 23:36
Art is what you want it to be - if it's pleasing to your eyes then so be it.

I love scenes such as those by Debra Stroud and Jonathan Shaw, would love to own some DS originals - till then I'll have to make do with a print.

I have umm'ed and ahh'ed for so long about different pieces I own and I kept going to see them in different lights, different times of the day etc. until I was certain that I absolutely had to have them.

When you see something you truly love it jumps out at you and there sometimes are no reasons why. It just does.

There'll always be room made available on my walls/fridge for children's artwork.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-10, 23:52
Im actually very fussy with art. im no proper artist but i have done some sketches....its been a while though!

My OH is an excellent artist, pencil drawings being his best. We actually have about 10 pieces of his art up in our house. Wouldnt dare let the world see my sketches because my main area is fairies, angels and em naked people lol. Not forgetting the odd cartoon characters aswell for the kids lol

i do have 1 bought print that my OH got from "we frame it" shop in thurso. Its a beautiful ocean pic with a harsh blue tint through it. Sits above our fire.

Art stands out to me in many ways, i like unusual i guess :cool:

squidge
18-Feb-10, 01:29
I have quite a collection of pictures In my living room - all originals - mainly watercolours although i have a couple of wonderful textile pieces my INCREDIBLY talented friend from Wick has done and an oil painting our friend did who is now studying art at Goldsmiths. None of the paintings cost a lot of money but some are very dear to me.

Some of the more interesting/unusual things on my walls are painted pennant which some dear friends did for our wedding of a thistle and rose of lancaster entwined. This is hanging behind the highland broadsword that was made for our wedding with the thistle enamelled on one side of the pommel and the rose of lancaster on the other side.
We have two painted silk panels that the Bruce brought back from india, a picture of Wick Parish church that my 3rd son painted when he was at keiss primary school, the original artwork from our wedding invites and a piece of material which was given to us as a wedding present. It was bought from an afghani in pakistan by a friend of ours. It has a special name (I cant remember it)and is the material that a girl would traditionally wrap her dowry in.

In the back lobby I have a batik of a celtic knot which i bought from the shop on shore lane and which used to hang over the fireplace in the flat i lived in for a whiley in wick and once transfixed a policeman that came to speak to my son lol.

I love art work but i have never spent more than £100 on anything By rummaging around you can get original works at less than you would pay for a pam carter print. I buy whatever takes my fancy. I once bought a picture of Paris from he hospice shop - it was about 3' long and on a horrible leather look mount - very 70s. I had just moved into this house and had a big space on my kitchen wall and very little money. I paid £8 for it, took it off the horrid board and hung it on my wall. Recently we re decorated and i decided i didnt need it anymore, my mum took it and it now hangs on her wall - got to be value for money!