PDA

View Full Version : Problems joining the org

happy_83
16-Feb-10, 20:48
Does anyone know about the current problems with registering on the org? Another person in my family requested way back in december to join caithness.org but has still not had the email activation code.

They can log in and get a message saying there are problems and there is an email address to contact but they can not post a message.

They have emailed said address several times since december but have not had a reply, hence my post now.

Thanks in advance :D

muffin
17-Feb-10, 08:00
Ditto: Have e-mailed admin several times, no reply.

Niall Fernie
17-Feb-10, 08:45
Firstly, muffin, I've searched through my e-mails and cannot find any from you, if you are sending from an address other than the one attached to your account you'll need to PM me about it.

To add a little more information. The problem we had initially when we moved server should now be taken care of however, Tiscalli and a couple of other ISP still refuse to accept mail from our server which means neither the forum or myself can send e-mail to anyone on Tiscalli.

I have literally thousands of e-mails awaiting attention from the 1st of Feb and thousands more since the start of december and very little time to get to them. Am am slowly working my way through them and am aware that a good numner of people have e-mailed me many times. All I can say is that I have replied to many of these people many times and they are obviously not getting my replies due to their ISP bouncing or deleting them.

I am fully aware of how frustrated many people are with this current situation and have apologised to as many of them as I can. I have sent activation codes, activated accounts manually, changed usernames and passwords more times than I can count but still the same people are having problems.

My e-mails and various other contacts with the ISPs have fallen on deaf ears and other than removing the activation process for new account (which would see the forum destroyed by spammers in days if not hours) I am at a loss how to proceed.

Trust me I am doing all that I can to help and seem to be able to receive e-mails from these ISPs just fine. I will continue to plough through my inbox and activate accounts but if my e-mail cannot reach the person with the problem then they will never know its been done.

There are currently 921 people awating their account being activated and although I will be able to trim this down by removing the obvious spammers you can see I have a long way to go in getting over this issue.

If you have sent me an e-mail already about this then the chances are that I have it (possibly several) and will do what I can to solve your problem but sending more and more e-mail as some people are doing up to 10-15 times a day is not going to speed the process at all.

Again apologies for the problem but I can see no real progress being made until the ISPs in question get their finger out and start accepting mail from us.

Niall Fernie
17-Feb-10, 10:39
OK, I've come up with a plan of attack.

I'm going to manually activate all of the accounts that are outstanding.

If you can remember the username and password you set up when you registered then you will be able to log in. Please give me time to do this as I have to do each account individually and this will take me a couple of days (hopefully) to get through them all. I'll be going through the list in alphabetical order of username so anyone with a username starting with Z will be waiting longest.

I'm also going to delete all the e-mail I've had from the forum and from people regarding registration problems to clear out my mailbox and once the process is finished I'll be able to more easily deal with any further issues.

If you are on Tiscalli, I will not be able to respond to any e-mail you send me so it may be better if you already know someone on the forum to get them to PM me regarding any issues.

Hopefully once this is complete I'll be able to get more action from the ISPs that continue to bounce mail.

northener
17-Feb-10, 10:48
My brother ZZoltan isn't going to be pleased with youi, Niall.:Razz

carrepairman
17-Feb-10, 15:43
I have been onto Tiscali off and on all day trying to find someone with the ability to tell me why I can`t receive e-mails from this domain, and have had a minor success, 1st level support are looking into the problem and will get back to me in the next 24 hours, allegedly. Regards, T

Niall Fernie
17-Feb-10, 22:10
Sounds like you've had more success than I have.

Anyhoo, I've managed to get as far as "C" in the account activation after stripping out as many spammer attempts as I could. There are about 500 accounts left to sort out and I'll plough on when I get back from work in the morning.

Niall Fernie
18-Feb-10, 13:14
I'm up as far as "M" in the list and have pretty much finished removing the spammers.

Have around 220 left to go and will finish them tomorrow morning after work.