PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ceiling

changilass
16-Feb-10, 16:42
ok so we are replacing the plasterboard on the kitchen ceiling.

Does anyone have one of yon 'plasterboard holder upper thingies' that I could beg, borrrow or hire.

Hubby would be most grateful lol.

bekisman
16-Feb-10, 16:45
Obviously not much help, but we made a 'T' out of two x two timber, worked ok...

joxville
16-Feb-10, 16:54
They are called acroprops, or adjustable steel props, changi. I think a builders merchant may hire them out.

changilass
16-Feb-10, 16:56
Cheers jox, will try the place at gillock.

joxville
16-Feb-10, 16:57
I love your description of it, maybe you should use it when asking. The person could be having a bad day and you may just cheer them up. :)

ducati
16-Feb-10, 16:58
ok so we are replacing the plasterboard on the kitchen ceiling.

Does anyone have one of yon 'plasterboard holder upper thingies' that I could beg, borrrow or hire.

Hubby would be most grateful lol.

Don't replace the ceiling, knock two rooms into one :)

joxville
16-Feb-10, 17:01
Don't replace the ceiling, knock two rooms into one :)

And buy huge furniture for it. One look at it will stop burglars from entering your house. :eek: :D

changilass
16-Feb-10, 17:01
As I am wider that I am tall the rooms have to be the same Ducati.

changilass
16-Feb-10, 17:08
Good news is they are only about £4 a week to hire, bad news is, they are out on hire already from HSS.

Not known for my patience grr.

ducati
16-Feb-10, 17:13
Good news is they are only about £4 a week to hire, bad news is, they are out on hire already from HSS.

Not known for my patience grr.

With due respect to Jox I am not sure it is Acroprops you need. They are for propping RSJs and the like. It would take forever to fix each sheet. Simple wooden T s (home made) would be the way to go. As was suggested (sorry just seen that). :D

changilass
16-Feb-10, 17:20
Aye but if I had 't's, would I not also need 2 burly men to hold the damn things whilst I fixed the sheets to the beams?

I only have one burly man :(, 2 would be just plain greedy.

ducati
16-Feb-10, 17:26
Aye but if I had 't's, would I not also need 2 burly men to hold the damn things whilst I fixed the sheets to the beams?

Yep, def need min two people.

changilass
16-Feb-10, 17:30
OK, so failing propy uppy thinggies, hubby has taken down the old plasterboard and we have the new stuff here.

Does anyone want to give me a price to come and put the stuff up for us please.

Its not a big area, 2 sheets of 8 by 4 will do the trick (with some cuts).

Dog-eared
16-Feb-10, 18:31
How to guide http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/fitting-plasterboard-ceiling.html

M R
16-Feb-10, 18:37
Acro props are alittle excessive for holding up a sheet of plasterboard. There designed to hold roofs, walls etc up.

plasterboarding a ceiling is a 2 man\woman operation.

2 stools, 2 people, 2 screw guns or drills or hammers, or you can share the tools ;)

(edit)

M R < thinks he should have read all of the above posts.

stewart4364
16-Feb-10, 18:54
There was a proper plasterboard lifter for sale on the 5th. February. If you ask nicely they may give you a loan of it if it is still available. Otherwise use 2 homemade soldiers.

Kirdon
16-Feb-10, 23:08

One person holds the T and the other nails/screws the other end while holding the sheet up with their head. Its called using your head!.

changilass
16-Feb-10, 23:11
Using my head, I can manage.

Its holding things up that I can't just now, which explains why I was asking about a holder upper.

We have done ceilings afore when I was fitter, am not up to it just now.

golach
16-Feb-10, 23:21
We have done ceilings afore when I was fitter, am not up to it just now.

Wow Changi, I never knew you were a fitter, knew you were a fencer [lol]
I am impressed