PDA

View Full Version : loft insullation

wicker8
16-Feb-10, 15:39
hi does anybody know if the local council do grants for loft insullation thanks

thebigman
16-Feb-10, 15:58
Nope but check out here - http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements-and-products/Home-insulation-glazing/Loft-insulation

achingale
16-Feb-10, 16:49
Wicker8, get yourself to B&Q. We got 200mm loft insulation for £5 per pack of 3. We did our whole loft for £35 and what a difference it has made. :D

davem
16-Feb-10, 17:57
Or even Homebase. You get a grant but have to pay some to fit it. £5 for a big roll can't be beat.
Look up energy zero insulation on the website. Its recycled plastic so no itches!

Cattach
16-Feb-10, 18:01
Or even Homebase. You get a grant but have to pay some to fit it. £5 for a big roll can't be beat.
Look up energy zero insulation on the website. Its recycled plastic so no itches!

Want to bet! Costed the price to do my loft at Homebase and Allan's of Gillock. Allans almost a third of the Homebase price - no contest.
Take care when you compare with area covered and thickness.

davem
16-Feb-10, 19:11
I think £5 for a triple roll is not too expensive!!!

wicker8
16-Feb-10, 22:24
thanks every body for you help i know now what to do did not realise it was so cheap cheers all:D:D

annemarie482
16-Feb-10, 23:40
funny you should ask....my mum had someone from the council at her door today asking if she wanted loft insulation! apartently if you earn less than 16 grand a year you get it free!

Truewoman
17-Feb-10, 20:33
We had ours done recently as a result of the energy survey that was going round (sorry cannot remember who was carrying it out). As the existing insullation did not meet a certain depth it was topped up and the boiler & pipes were also lagged. This was all done free of charge and was not means tested. We opted to have cavity walls done and this was at a cost of £149 but could have just had the free insullation if we'd wanted. Sorry, cannot remember who it was that you had to contact to get the free survey but perhaps someone on here will be able to advise.

black16i
17-Feb-10, 20:37
Hi

If it is the guys in the red jackets you are talking about, (HIS Scheme) these guys are only covering the Thurso Area at present, its a goverment backed scheme.

drop me a PM and I can pass your name and address on to the The Thurso team, and they can arrange to carry out a Home Energy Check and see if you can benifit from the measures

you also get a FREE energy report on your home

cheers

domino
17-Feb-10, 20:42
Scotish Gas used to do a deal. Might be worth trying them

poppett
18-Feb-10, 00:05
Dad got his loft insulated with the thick mat style stuff on Tuesday thro the energy trust scheme. Unfortunately he ended up with a hole in the hall ceiling when one of the boys lost his footing on a joist. Boss coming up Thursday to see about getting it sorted.

Could feel the difference in heat retained in the house within an hour.