PDA

View Full Version : Mp's Get Medals for visiting Afghanistan

golach
16-Feb-10, 08:45
Can you all take time to read this and add your names please. I didn't know this but MPs get a medal for visiting a war zone. They don't have to do time in country like our service personnel and they don't have to wait months afterwards to get presented with the thing. Medals are all the recognition our servicemen and women get for spending long months in staggeringly deprived locations getting shot at and blown up. The most action and flak an MP sees is over their expenses. As we saw with the Wootton Basset petition thousands of signatures in a short space of time did make the government act. They cannot ignore the voters. Especially now with elections looming. Please take the time to sign this petition and please encourage all your family to also do so. Where it asks for your name also add on the same line former military if you were. You will see what others have done. I think this adds just a little more bite to the petition. Once again get everyone with an email address to sign, including neighbours. Lets do our service personal this small service for all the danger they face and hard work they complete in the name of our country.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/notompmedals

riggerboy
16-Feb-10, 08:56
signed ...........

cherokee
16-Feb-10, 09:43
Also signed !!

ducati
16-Feb-10, 09:58
This is a bit negative. I'd want a medal and a pile of cash for visiting a war zone as part of my job. Unless I was a soldier/sailor/airman in which case I'd get little cash and prob. no medal.

bekisman
16-Feb-10, 10:15
Had to look this up, sorry it's so long but to me (ex-squaddie with three Squaddie sons and future daughter in law out in Afghan) it's sick, no wonder the link (below) says 'Mickey Mouse medals'

'A number of MPs have received the medals at ceremonies as a reward for 10 years' or more membership of the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (AFPS), a body which allows politicians to spend around 22 days a year with the military.

The practice has been criticised by ex-servicemen, by the families of service personnel who have died in Iraq and also by a senior officer who led British forces in Afghanistan.

Colonel Richard Kemp, who was commander of British troops in the country in 2003, but whose campaign for a medal to be awarded to service personnel wounded in action was rejected by the Ministry of Defence, said: "It seems a bit rich to give a medal to an MP for visiting a combat zone, yet the Government is not prepared to give a medal to someone who has lost a leg or an arm in battle."

MPs in the AFPS scheme are given a uniform to wear which comes with a specially-designed badge decorated with a portcullis, the symbol of Parliament, and are invited to take part at the entry level rank of Major. They can then earn promotion to Colonel and above, provided they put in enough "training" days.

So far, around 200 MPs have participated in the scheme - which is backed by the Ministry of Defence - but only between eight and ten have served the minimum of a decade to be eligible for the award.

Soldiers are only awarded medals if they serve in a war zone, serve in operations, or for long service or acts of conspicuous bravery.

Politicians known to have received the medal include Frank Cook, the Labour MP for Stockton North, who was awarded his by Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the current Chief of the Defence Staff. Others to be awarded the medal, according to the AFPS annual report, include the Tories Roger Gale, MP for Thanet North; James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire; Edward Garnier QC, MP for Harborough and the shadow Attorney General; and Julian Lewis, MP for New Forest East, who have all reached the rank of colonel or above.

Other Labour MPs known to have been given the medal include Andrew Miller, MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston.

The awarding of medals under the scheme has been criticised by a number of ex-servicemen.
Bob Clay, 78, who served in the Guards Independent Parachute Company for 22 years and is now on the committee of the Royal British Legion in Lymington, Hampshire, said: "It is a bit vain to award yourself a medal just for spending time with members of the Armed Forces. It is like patting yourself on the back. What the troops want is real support from politicians, not this sort of PR."

Robert Hannaford, 76, who served in the Army Intelligence Corps during the 1950s and is now president of the Royal British Legion Club in Margate, Kent, said: "As an old soldier I've always been sceptical about medals awarded to people just for being in a certain place at a certain time rather than for earning them on merit. Medals ought to be earned and justified in some way."

Rose Gentle, whose son Gordon was killed in Iraq in 2004, said: "This is a ridiculous idea. MPs are awarding each other medals when they have never been involved in any fighting – yet there are plenty of brave lads in the front line who deserve a medal and never get one."

Reg Keys, whose son Tom was one of six Royal Military Police officers killed in Iraq in June 2003, said: "It's laudable for MPs to go out there and see at first hand what the troops have to experience on the front line. But for an MP to qualify for a rank and a medal on the basis of a quick visit is excessive. It almost cheapens medals that are awarded for real service and bravery."

The UK National Defence Medal campaign, which is calling for medals for all armed service personnel who have served the country since the Second World War, also believes the MPs' medal is unjustified.

Terry Scriven, a co-chairman of the campaign, said: "This scheme started off as very laudable, but it is outrageous that an MP can get what is effectively a Mickey Mouse medal for little more than 22 days' service when we have members who served our country and got nothing. I don't understand how a scheme like this can be run by a private organisation outside of the MoD or Parliament's control."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/7006304/MPs-criticised-for-accepting-Mickey-Mouse-medals.html

annemarie482
16-Feb-10, 10:38
disgusting [mad]
consider it signed

veekay
16-Feb-10, 10:53
Signed and passed on.

northener
16-Feb-10, 10:58
http://www.blackpast.org/files/blackpast_images/amin_idi.jpg

Manxman
16-Feb-10, 11:24
This is so sickening. Will these same MP's expect a war pension to? - well would you put it past them?

This is the same government who are prohibiting those who are entitled to wear the Pinjat Jasa Malaysia medal awarded by the Malay government to service personnel who served during the operations there between 1957 and 1966.

singed and sent

Manxman
16-Feb-10, 11:41
So cross spelling went a bit TU. Signed and sent.

Perhaps an additional clause should be added to the petition that those with these 'Micky Mouse' medals should hand them back

bekisman
16-Feb-10, 13:07
There's a steady 500 an hour signing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...se-medals.html

Flashman
16-Feb-10, 13:21
Never knew about this, shocking... totally undermines service men and womens medals.

Only thing many MP's are fit for right now is the chop.

Signed.

Oddquine
16-Feb-10, 13:53
And signed.

lynne duncan
16-Feb-10, 14:04
signed..............

Gronnuck
16-Feb-10, 14:32
[disgust] Signed. . . . . . .

jings00
16-Feb-10, 14:57
aye signed and passed on to my brother (ex KOSB) who will in turn post on the KOSB website for further signatories - if it ain't already there

Ricco
16-Feb-10, 17:06
Signed... and posted on to BBC Breakfast. Hopefully someone will investigate it. :confused

doyle
16-Feb-10, 17:23
[disgust] signed and sent

Hoida
16-Feb-10, 17:27
Signed and sent on to friends. No doubt those who have received a medal are fair chuffed, what MP's get away with never ceases to amaze me.

pat
16-Feb-10, 17:32
and posted on Royal Air Force Association site for them to look at - know they will sign and pass on to their mates too.

Bazeye
16-Feb-10, 18:43
Typical politicians. Signed.

tippytoes
16-Feb-10, 19:50
Absolutely shocking!! Signed!!

Iffy
16-Feb-10, 20:40
signed as well...

miranda
16-Feb-10, 21:23
Signed :)

Tighsonas4
16-Feb-10, 22:53
signed and sealed tony

compo
16-Feb-10, 23:08
signed and passed on

Elenna
17-Feb-10, 13:43
Signed, and the info passed along.

sids
17-Feb-10, 13:58
I heard that golfers get medals in a monthly competition.

Something must be done.

Boozeburglar
17-Feb-10, 15:37
Can you all take time to read this and add your names please. I didn't know this but MPs get a medal for visiting a war zone. They don't have to do time in country like our service personnel and they don't have to wait months afterwards to get presented with the thing. Medals are all the recognition our servicemen and women get for spending long months in staggeringly deprived locations getting shot at and blown up. The most action and flak an MP sees is over their expenses. As we saw with the Wootton Basset petition thousands of signatures in a short space of time did make the government act. They cannot ignore the voters. Especially now with elections looming. Please take the time to sign this petition and please encourage all your family to also do so. Where it asks for your name also add on the same line former military if you were. You will see what others have done. I think this adds just a little more bite to the petition. Once again get everyone with an email address to sign, including neighbours. Lets do our service personal this small service for all the danger they face and hard work they complete in the name of our country.

Who are you quoting G?

golach
17-Feb-10, 15:44
Who are you quoting G?

Many sources boozie, why you got a problem with that? If so tough titty!!!!!!

Boozeburglar
17-Feb-10, 15:49
I asked because I saw large chunks of what you posted elsewhere.

There was nothing more behind it, I just wanted to know if you had the original source.

Bit snappy today?