PDA

View Full Version : northern lights are out

Peachie
15-Feb-10, 23:15
The Northern lights are out tonight. dont know if anyone else has posted saying so, so thought i would mention it anyway:D

Wellies
15-Feb-10, 23:24
Just wondering if anyone saw the green shooting star/firework type light which came over Castletown and seemed to explode over Dunnet Head at 9.51pm. It was traffic light green with a pale orange centre followed by an orange tail. Thought it was a firework but it seemed much bigger. Probably someone will now give me a rational explanation. Thanks in advance.

ducati
15-Feb-10, 23:29
Just wondering if anyone saw the green shooting star/firework type light which came over Castletown and seemed to explode over Dunnet Head at 9.51pm. It was traffic light green with a pale orange centre followed by an orange tail. Thought it was a firework but it seemed much bigger. Probably someone will now give me a rational explanation. Thanks in advance.

Me too, but I only saw a bright white flash. There were a couple of Tornados around so might have been a flare?

On the other hand.....

ducati
15-Feb-10, 23:30
The Northern lights are out tonight. dont know if anyone else has posted saying so, so thought i would mention it anyway:D

Where can you see them from?

Tubthumper
15-Feb-10, 23:30
My God, Clash67 has been taken! Have they got Fred too? The 7 World Trade Centre conspiracy has blown the reptiles cover and they're off!
Sorry no I didn't see it, but I have observed such odd things in the sky in the past. Weird but pretty.

Wellies
15-Feb-10, 23:31
That was it exploding at the end I think. I have seen flares and 3 of us saw this and we all agreed that it couldn't have been a flare but we could all be wrong.

locini
15-Feb-10, 23:37
Just out watching the lights now,

Amazing greens and whites.

Looking out west from hill of forss just now.

Never ever seen the Northern light before, so amazed and thrilled to see them.

Will try and get some pics and post them

ducati
15-Feb-10, 23:37
Where can you see them from?

My front garden! woohoo never seen 'em before. Looking towards Dunnet.

Rictina
15-Feb-10, 23:38
I would love to see the Northern Lights. I even went to Norway in search of them to no avail, LOL.

Peachie
15-Feb-10, 23:41
Im in bettyhill. really clear over here.

Peachie
15-Feb-10, 23:42

please get pics! other half offshore down south, gutted he's missing them!

r.rackstraw
15-Feb-10, 23:43
Yes, great display as I came over the Causeymire tonight.

locini
15-Feb-10, 23:47
please get pics! other half offshore down south, gutted he's missing them!

Just tried to catch some but no expert with the camera.

They are all just turning out pitch black - No flash.

Does anyone know any settings to adjust for really dark pictures??

shazzap
15-Feb-10, 23:48

Hope you get some good shots.

fred
15-Feb-10, 23:50
My God, Clash67 has been taken! Have they got Fred too? The 7 World Trade Centre conspiracy has blown the reptiles cover and they're off!
Sorry no I didn't see it, but I have observed such odd things in the sky in the past. Weird but pretty.

Grow up......

Tubthumper
15-Feb-10, 23:55
Grow up......
Ok Mate. Sorry.

ducati
15-Feb-10, 23:57
Ok Mate. Sorry.

Hang on a minute, who decided to merg the alien space craft thread with the northern lights thread? Was it the Men in Black...?

Kevin Milkins
16-Feb-10, 00:52
I just had a drive out to Bilbster forest to get away from the light pollution of Wick, but although you can see lights in the sky in the North, I think the cloud cover spoilt it.:(

kas
16-Feb-10, 01:04

I saw exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. However from Scrabster it looked as if it was in the middle of Thurso Bay.

It was weird.
Large bit of space debris burning up as it entered the atmosphere????????

Kenn
16-Feb-10, 01:41
Had short but great display here on the north coast between 11.00/ 11.30 pm, several shafts of light that almost made a curtain and a great green glow.
I'm still bouncing about with delight as have been wanting to see them for years.

sweetpea
16-Feb-10, 01:45

I saw a xhooting star coming out of Thurso tonight. Best place I ever saw the lights was on Westray!

Mr P Cannop
16-Feb-10, 12:13
do you all think we will see them tonight ??

northener
16-Feb-10, 12:34
Well, I can't see all at the moment.:(

I reckon it's wind up.

achingale
16-Feb-10, 16:54
The Northern Lights are beautiful when they come. Who needs TV when we have such wonderful things going on in nature? ;)

Loraine
16-Feb-10, 17:10
I saw them last night, about 11 o clock. I drove out of the town to get a better view and it was gorgeous - like a green sky over Dounreay area. Then again maybe it wasn't the northern lights - could have just been the normal green glow from the nuclear power plant!!!;)

Sage
16-Feb-10, 17:15
no thats what I saw too...with white "flashes" in areas at time...like alien beams coming down :lol:

Was gorgeous as it was a lovely cold frosty night. Didnt see any shooting stars or UFOs though :~(

Loraine
16-Feb-10, 17:17
...like alien beams coming down

Haha!! Maybe Dounreay is actually a UFO landing site!! :confused

Sage
16-Feb-10, 17:31
now that wouldnt surprise me at all :lol:

northener
16-Feb-10, 17:38
now that wouldnt surprise me at all :lol:

Plent who get on or off the Dounreay bus look like they are aliens of some description........

Loraine
16-Feb-10, 17:44
And their jackets all glow in the dark.....

Scarybiscuits03
16-Feb-10, 19:48
My OH saw the strange light in the sky, we were sitting chatting when he jumped up (think he nearly pooped himself lol) He said it looked like a fireball heading towards Dunnet. I never saw a thing - luckily I caught the Northern Lights about 10mins later though!

Mystical Potato Head
16-Feb-10, 19:53
Just tried to catch some but no expert with the camera.

They are all just turning out pitch black - No flash.

Does anyone know any settings to adjust for really dark pictures??

20 to 30 second exposure,iso400,if realy bright you can get away with iso 100 or 200.
No need for flash.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=99468

Wellies
17-Feb-10, 17:38
Think I have worked out what the green light was I saw. Found pictures on the internet about green meteors and it seems very similar and a reasonable explanation. Not toooooo weird.:eek:

Aaldtimer
17-Feb-10, 18:09
I had a LOL moment with this article!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8510377.stm

:roll:

northener
17-Feb-10, 18:27
I had a LOL moment with this article!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8510377.stm

:roll:

(Off topic)

When working on North Coast Explorer up at John O'Groats:

"What time will we see the dolphins appear at?":eek:

kas
17-Feb-10, 18:31

Could this have been what we saw????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/16/space-debris-satellites-fireball
That now looks unlikely but this looks likely
http://www.spaceweather.com/
A fireball was seen on Monday evening by Northern Light veiwers in a plane over Shetland. There is a photo on space weather.

Wellies
18-Feb-10, 09:40
It moved like the American one but was bright green and the fire ball over Shetland I have seen something like that before. Answer to the question goodness knows:confused