PDA

View Full Version : anyone been to Rome?

brandy
15-Feb-10, 13:34
we were just thinking about holidays, and i really fancy Rome.
I know the italians love children so we should be ok there *Laughs*
been reading and all i see... nothing for kids to do.. ie no big amusment parks ect..
obviously living up here.. they are not use to that anyway.. and i can only handle on emaybe two parks a year.. they drive me nuts!
so just wondering if anyones been what they thought and well anything you want to throw in..

Munro
15-Feb-10, 13:47
One of the must places to visit in my opinion, try to get a hotel or whatever
centrally as there is a lot of walking to do.
Have a look on line and see what events are coming up at St Peters, we went by chance and saw a service of beatification it is a great experience and if you are of the catholic faith an essential visit. It was seven years ago we went and have vowed to go back each year but have finished up in Caithness each time.
Go and enjoy it.

scotsboy
15-Feb-10, 14:37
I was there last year over Easter, hadn’t planned it that way. It is is a fantastic city with so much to see and do – wouldn’t recommend it if you have young children though, not very buggy friendly.

Kevin Milkins
15-Feb-10, 14:40
It's somewhere that I would consider going for a rugby international weekend.:Razz

brandy
15-Feb-10, 14:46
sam and ben will be 6 and 7 when we go.. so no buggies for us. did read that its mostly cobbled streets and the best way to cross the street is with a nun ! *g*

Tom Cornwall
15-Feb-10, 14:54
I don't think Rome would suit you if you want theme parks or sideshow...Rome is a very historical place with art galleries and old buildings to visit..so wait till the kids are old enough to realize where they are and then take them...but the weather was good when we were there

scotsboy
15-Feb-10, 14:57
It's somewhere that I would consider going for a rugby international weekend.:Razz

I went for Lazio V Roma..........it was excellent.

brandy
15-Feb-10, 15:02
we dont do big amusment parks anyway so that would not be an issue. we tend to go to gullivers when we are down in england. but do more forest parks ect.. than the big parks. my kids would be more than happy in the large parks and fountains than anything. it will prob. be next year before we go.. so they would be 8 and 7 then.. omg that just sounds scary!

northener
15-Feb-10, 15:41
Just take the kids to the Coleseum when there's a gladatorial/eating Chritshuns event on....the kids'll love it.:Razz

Italians are great people, they all want to carry your handbag or wallet for you and like molesting young women as they walk down the street.;)

Kevin Milkins
15-Feb-10, 17:48
I went for Lazio V Roma..........it was excellent.

Since the Italians have joined in the home championships, it has become a very popular destination for rugby tours. Yesterday looked a good one with it being valentines day.
Unwitting females being whisked off for a romantic weekend in Rome and, ow, by the way darling, there is a game of rugby I might need to attend.:lol:

Scunner
15-Feb-10, 18:33
watch for the pickpockets and dodgy street traders. Cheat you with your eyes open, but a great place to go, but wouldn't take young children, as its very busy

lister
15-Feb-10, 18:57
From what I've seen on T.V. its a hugely energetic city with an amalgam of sites,sounds and smells with the very vibrancy of an ancient and wondrous city,somewhere I'd love to visit, so I'd say go and enjoy.
But with all European cities,especially Rome,take care with kiddies as there is a lot of walking and site seeing for ancient buildings and religious monuments with a huge amount of history,to which kids may find a chore,then again people in Rome do have kids so there must be stuff for them to do surely!.
And of course there is the world famous pickpockets and scam merchants but don't let this put you off ,just be vigilant and clever with your money and don't get ripped off!,as with all holidays if ye can achieve this then ye'll have won a good time for all.:lol:

brandy
15-Feb-10, 19:08
thats what i thought.. the italians love kids.. and surley they are kids in Roma.. so why is it not a place to take kids?