PDA

View Full Version : who is your idol/hero?

annemarie482
15-Feb-10, 01:31
with all the gurning on here we could do with a bit o light hearted fun!

who has been your hero/ idol in life whether he/she be famous or otherwise,
and why do you look up to them so much?

we all have one, whether you'll admit to it is another thing...........

joxville
15-Feb-10, 01:38
Billy Connolly. :)

Kevin Milkins
15-Feb-10, 01:41
I have enjoyed David Jason for the many different characters that he has created and played without becoming stereotyped.:Razz

I also have the greatest respect for Fatima Whitbread.

golach
15-Feb-10, 01:44
Joxville......

lister
15-Feb-10, 01:48
Ronnie barker..so much of an entertainer.[lol]

annemarie482
15-Feb-10, 01:49
mine is freddie mercury.

i love the sound of his voice,
his fearlessness of standing out and confidence,
the way he changed music as we know it,
his creativeness
the fact he was a well educated and mannered musician & singer
how extravagant his performances were,
unique!

i've always looked up to him, since a young child,
and truly believe he has had an effect on my life.
just love him!:)

taken from the world far to soon.

Tilly Teckel
15-Feb-10, 02:31
John Lennon; pure talent, unafraid, human, down to earth and taken from us far, far too soon.

Dusty
15-Feb-10, 04:52
My ancestry.
The more I discover about them, the more I am in awe of what they (and their peers) went through to survive.
"Oridinary" people? I don't think so, not by today's standards.

Amowat
15-Feb-10, 08:35
Jeremy Clarkson

riggerboy
15-Feb-10, 08:37
margret that used to own peachies chippy,

Thumper
15-Feb-10, 08:56
Marilyn Munroe,simple as that.think she was an amazing woman x

northener
15-Feb-10, 09:12
Odd how nearly every single response has been to nominate someone in the entertainment industry:confused

brandy
15-Feb-10, 09:12
my cousin tammy
she is six years older than me.. and for as long as i can remember i wanted to be like her..
she isnt famous.. she isnt rich.. she never even went to college..
but she is the most kind sweet natured woman i have ever met.
i have never heard her say a bad thing about anyone..
even when complaining, she appologises about it!
she would bend over backwards to help someone.. she is mother to everyone.
no one walks thru her door without leaving with a full belly, feeling lighter of heart, and that they are cared about. in my eyes she is the perfect example of womanhood.. both strong and gentle.. nurturing and loving. ive always idolised her and i always will..
*grins* will never be able to emulate her no matter how hard i try.. but ahh well God broke the mould when he made her. He can only allow so many angels down after all *winks*

Thumper
15-Feb-10, 09:21
Odd how nearly every single response has been to nominate someone in the entertainment industry:confused

Very true Northener,if I have a non idustry hero then I would have to say Jamie Dyer who runs the seal hospital and is scottish co-ordinator of the BDMLR,Jamie works tirelessly for the seals and mostly on his own so I am in total awe of the committment he has to his work x

northener
15-Feb-10, 09:42
Very true Northener,if I have a non idustry hero then I would have to say Jamie Dyer who runs the seal hospital and is scottish co-ordinator of the BDMLR,Jamie works tirelessly for the seals and mostly on his own so I am in total awe of the committment he has to his work x

Aye, Jamies a good lad.

I don't know who to say, really. There's so many people to admire.

I think John Lilburne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lilburne) comes pretty close to the top of my list. He stood up to the Government of the day, and not (unlike many today) for his own personal gain. He suffered greatly for his beliefs.

Flogged, pilloried, repeatedly imprisoned for his beliefs and speaking out against 'the system' and his refusal to "Answer interrogatories without knowing for what reason".
He fought for Parliament in the Civil War and was, by this time, what we would today describe as a radical left winger. He had the ear of Cromwell, who later had Lilburne imprisoned (yet again) as he had become a very real political threat to the Protectorate.

A man of amazing courage and dogged determination.

Angela
15-Feb-10, 09:44
My granny. Widowed very young with five small children, she didn't have an easy life and was a wonderful example of how to live with and overcome difficulties, how to put other people's needs before her own, how to live on very little money without showing how much of a struggle it was, how to make great soup ;) ...and how to be stylish even in old age.

In her late eighties she was still living in a third floor flat with no lift but and went out every day with an umbrella for support -walking sticks were for 'old people' she'd say. She always wore a hat when she went out and court shoes with heels, never ever flats ....yup, she had real style! :D

ShelleyCowie
15-Feb-10, 10:25
My mum :Razz She is always there for me, she knows when im upset and need someone to talk to. She has a life story that anybody would idolise her for. And i just love her so much :)

Vistravi
15-Feb-10, 12:57
My dad because he made me tough and strong. He made me see how strong i am.

My mum because she is my rock. I don't know how i'd gotten through the last few months and the coming months without her support. She is amazing. She is always there for me when i can not manage something on my own just like i am there for her when she needs me.

ducati
15-Feb-10, 13:00
margret that used to own peachies chippy,

Margaret that used to run the country

upolian
15-Feb-10, 13:05
colin mcrae

Flashman
15-Feb-10, 13:17
Anyone who has seen action past and present in HM Armed Forces.... They are the real hero's in this country.

heather11
15-Feb-10, 14:15
Couldn't agree with you more Flashman, they are all heroes past and present.

Kevin Milkins
15-Feb-10, 14:27
Margaret that used to run the country

I like Margaret that works in the cake shop at Poultney,:Razz and she could probably do a better job of running the country.

RecQuery
15-Feb-10, 15:22
Hmm hard to narrow it down to just one... two of my top 10 would be:

Norman Borlaug

Actually did something when everyone else was prophesizing doom.

David Hume

For his role in the enlightenment.

northener
15-Feb-10, 15:45
Anyone who has seen action past and present in HM Armed Forces.... They are the real hero's in this country.

Couldn't agree with you more Flashman, they are all heroes past and present.

I'd prefer cash donations to praise;).:Razz

Ricco
15-Feb-10, 16:07
Malcolm X - he stood up for truth and equality. Both are admirable traits no matter what your colour or creed.

danc1ngwitch
15-Feb-10, 19:23
My 10 year old girl, she has arthritis.
She never complains and though she gets so very tired
she smiles anyway.
How lucky am I? What a wonderful wee person to
have in my life. x

Blarney
15-Feb-10, 20:46
It has to be Lord Denning for his no nonsense approach to the law. He died in 1999 aged 100 but was compos mentis til the end although he resigned aged 83 when he made a few non-PC decisions which were unpopular with the rest of the judiciary! I admired him as he was a champion of the ordinary man and let common sense be the best judge.

mr do dar
15-Feb-10, 21:25
my idol would have to be lee evans he is just sooooooooooo funny he makes me laugh and i always pop on his dvd wen im feeling crap and it always makes me feel better .

cuddlepop
15-Feb-10, 21:29
Ghandi was living "serenity".:D

We have learnt nothing........:~(

wicker8
15-Feb-10, 22:18
for me its sir winston churchill my oh is next

Metalattakk
16-Feb-10, 04:18
My new hero is David Kumaritashvili.

"I am not going to sue anyone. My son proved that he is a strong sportsman. And he proved it to the whole world. God will decide who is to blame.

"I am surprised that they continued with the luge event, because of what happened and because sportsmen who are more experienced and stronger than Nodar pulled out."
However, I'm not surprised they carried on with the event.

Money talks. [disgust]

lister
16-Feb-10, 05:00
Billy Connolly. :)
yah sure its not Lister.!!
Its obvious really ..hahahahahahahaha

lister
16-Feb-10, 05:51

Speaks volumes,no matter the cause,people who give their lives for the good on many throughtout the ages.........nuff said.

joxville
16-Feb-10, 16:03
yah sure its not Lister.!!
Its obvious really ..hahahahahahahaha

If you are Robert Ashton Lister, who made some of the world's best engines, then yes. Otherwise, get over yourself ya choob. :)

LMS
16-Feb-10, 16:35
Maggie Thatcher, the woman was a brilliant PM.

Ash
16-Feb-10, 16:36
my parents :)
for lots of reasons too many to put on here :)

miss happy
16-Feb-10, 16:52
My Hero has to be my mum even when times are hard my mum is always there to help me and to make sense of it all without such an amazing person like her my life would have turned out very different.
Thank you for everything mum

Cedric Farthsbottom III
16-Feb-10, 19:07
My all time hero is my brother,Doit.A British soldier now,but at the time a 16 year old boy who grabbed me by the arm like a father.I'm so proud to be yir brother and always will.Cheers Doit.:)