PDA

View Full Version : Can't we just loosen up?

bekisman
14-Feb-10, 15:06
This forum is not really essential, it is not overly serious, it is not the most important thing - ever. So why oh why do some posters treat it as it is?
It is just a very minor forum on a website situated at a place the vast majority of UK have never heard of, and where most delivery companies think is an island!

Yet going by some of the postings, it is the front page of The Times, or the BBC News website - it is essential that they must get their point across - regardless of any others equally valid points. My own opinion is it's generally a light-hearted place for banter, gossip, semi-serious threads, and going by many of the postings, there are a fair few of us that think the same.

Too many veteran posters have jumped ship, too many times there have been sharp edged snide comments, too much criticising of spelling/grammar. This forum is not - whatever you may think - the be all and end all of everything.

Can't we just loosen up?

Whitewater
14-Feb-10, 15:23
Good post bekisman, very true, also excellent forum for keeping all our ex pats in touch with the local news.

telfordstar
14-Feb-10, 15:28
This forum is not really essential, it is not overly serious, it is not the most important thing - ever. So why oh why do some posters treat it as it is?
It is just a very minor forum on a website situated at a place the vast majority of UK have never heard of, and where most delivery companies think is an island!

Yet going by some of the postings, it is the front page of The Times, or the BBC News website - it is essential that they must get their point across - regardless of any others equally valid points. My own opinion is it's generally a light-hearted place for banter, gossip, semi-serious threads, and going by many of the postings, there are a fair few of us that think the same.

Too many veteran posters have jumped ship, too many times there have been sharp edged snide comments, too much criticising of spelling/grammar. This forum is not - whatever you may think - the be all and end all of everything.

Can't we just loosen up?

Very very well said although i doubt the moaners wont take any heed. I was shot down in flames from my few posts about my spelling and grammer did i take heed of them, did i monkeys. I post as i please and really dont take heed of what others think of my posts at all.

ducati
14-Feb-10, 15:29

Can't we just loosen up?

I know, you try to help people by telling them how stupid they are and they just don't appreciate it!

I for one won't be posting here again.

pat
14-Feb-10, 15:30
This forum obviously is the only place many appear to be able to voice their opinions - I often wonder and understand why many are lonely when you look at some of the posts, nobody else in the world matters but them and their opinions.

It is obviously a sad world they exist in - with no one to listen to them rant verbally so they do it on line here.

Time they lightened up and participated in the world around them - the world does not revolve around them, their life and opinions.

I have watched folk come and go on here - often sneaking back with a different name - they obviously cannot stay but cannot bear to let go either - says a lot!

The other forums I belong to are all friendly banter, nobody taking the huff and walking out - there are misunderstandings but folk are willing to be open for discussion without taking the hump, apologies are open, meant and life continues.

Time folk got a grip, relaxed and take it as light hearted banter/fun in life.

Who worries about spelling and grammer as long as the content is understood.

Whitewater
14-Feb-10, 15:46
I know, you try to help people by telling them how stupid they are and they just don't appreciate it!

I really don't know anybody who appreciates that sort of help.

crayola
14-Feb-10, 15:46
How can I loosen up? I'm not tight. :confused

Rictina
14-Feb-10, 15:56
* sits in the corner quietely * :confused

northener
14-Feb-10, 16:04
There's various bits of me that are definitely too loose.

A touch of 'Cabin fever' seems to creep in now and again on here, but hey, it's not the real world.

You'll never please all of the people......etc

danc1ngwitch
14-Feb-10, 16:09
you want a few stitches then[lol]

Vistravi
14-Feb-10, 16:17

Ah you're a loose woman ;)

Vistravi
14-Feb-10, 16:18

Can't we just loosen up?

Well said. I for one see the forum as a good place to get banter when i'm bored. Having a thick skin does wonders when some of the posters get going.

Cattach
14-Feb-10, 16:29
Very very well said although i doubt the moaners wont take any heed. I was shot down in flames from my few posts about my spelling and grammer did i take heed of them, did i monkeys. I post as i please and really dont take heed of what others think of my posts at all.

I post as I please too but equally I do not need a lecture from Bekisman to tell me how I can post. Reading Bekisman's posting it appears he is actually doing what he is telling other they should not do. And if he does not like my post or my style hard luck, it is a free posting site in a free country.

crayola
14-Feb-10, 16:45
you want a few stitches then[lol]

Ah you're a loose woman ;)
LOL No! I'm not that sort of loose. I run loose and free but think tight. :)

bekisman
14-Feb-10, 17:17
I post as I please too but equally I do not need a lecture from Bekisman to tell me how I can post. Reading Bekisman's posting it appears he is actually doing what he is telling other they should not do. And if he does not like my post or my style hard luck, it is a free posting site in a free country.

Lecture? Come on, do what you like.. thanks for confirmation anyway

davem
14-Feb-10, 17:24
Taking the hump is fair enough. It just seems sometimes that people on here reach out and grab it! I won't lecture about it mind.

Leanne
14-Feb-10, 17:32
come to keep fit in Watten on Weds - that will loosen you up ;)

Mystical Potato Head
14-Feb-10, 17:40

Dont think he was giving a lecture,just pointing out the fact that all to often some ppl just go over the top to get their own point of view across and anyone with a different opinion to their own is regarded an idiot.
Usually why so many posts in the general section end up in the way they do and probably the main reason why so many veteran posters have had enough.

gleeber
14-Feb-10, 18:52

I really don't know anybody who appreciates that sort of help.

Another org classic. :eek:

I'm not sure what the definition of a veteran poster is but I'm still here sometimes by the skin of my teeth. The orgs changed over the years but never so much as in the past year. Its whole character changed when Percy was forced out. I know one person doesnt make a forum but I have a feeling that sentiment wont be short of support.
The orgs always been confrontational. Most of us have no experience of discussing the opinions we read on the org so it comes as no surprise when someone with less than a fully thought out opinion gets jumped on. It's most important for the victim not to take it seriously and to start to think before they post but it's much more important for the experienced poster to consider their response.
I've found some of the contents of threads in the past few weeks kind of nasty. Although it may be entertaining for some to sit on on someone elses private grief we have to be aware of the power of this medium. Its definately a new kind of bullying for someone who is experienced on internet forums to use their power to get one up on someone with a less informed opinion or no chance to defend themselves. That includes insulting remarks about peoples grammar and spelling. Have you any idea of the deeply set emotions and feelings of self worth some people with dyslexia may harbour?
If anone has a problem with my post PM me and we can insult eachother in private. :lol:

ywindythesecond
14-Feb-10, 19:21
I miss Reggy. I haven't been properly insulted in ages.

porshiepoo
14-Feb-10, 19:23

Can't we just loosen up?

I understand where your point of view comes from and it's as valid as any other that is made however I think that this forum is a tad more important to many people than what a lot of us realise.

To some people this forum can be a link to the local community that they otherwise wouldn't have, it may also be one of the few social interactions that some lone people may have (for whatever reason).

It's human nature to defend an opinion, and debates - heated or otherwise - are IMO a normal characteristic of human nature.
I personally have no problems with people getting heated in debate, dissing me for an opinion I may have or even telling me I am wrong, it is simply their opinion. How I deal with that opinion is the only thing I can control.
Sometimes i lose it and have got into real slanging matches. Childish? maybe, however I hold no malice or grudge toward the people who have offended me or I them. In fact some of the greatest people on here for me are those same people I have argued with in the past.
DrZin was a prime example, I argued ridiculously with him during those first few months but have had the pleasure in meeting him in person and think he's a great guy!

What I'm trying to say is that people do seem to get passionate about their beliefs and opinions on this site, possibly because it gives them a chance to have discussions and debates that maybe aren't commonplace in their everyday life. The anonymity that this forum provides means that people can express themselves in a format that is true to them.
Of course there is no need for malice or rudeness but such as life. As orgers we have the choice to respond or not, we also have the choice to avoid those threads that are turning into hotspots if it goes beyond our sensibilities.

Live and let live!

Saveman
14-Feb-10, 19:38
"Where have all the best-posters gone? Long time passing.....where have all the best-posters gone? Long time ago......"

.....might be a B-side on the Org's first single.....

canuck
14-Feb-10, 19:42
"Where have all the best-posters gone? Long time passing.....where have all the best-posters gone? Long time ago......"

.....might be a B-side on the Org's first single.....

'Gone to lurking everyone long time passing...
Gone to lurking everyone long time ago....'

(and you certainly don't want me singing on the B, C or D-side of any recording.)

squidge
14-Feb-10, 23:39
I have been around a long time and i post as i like - I try to stick within the rules and I am getting better at leaving my soapbox under the bed:roll:. I have long periods of time when i dont post but i pop back now and again. I like a good tussle with other posters and a good argument and debate but i find that it has all gone a bit snippy and huffy lately. I too miss some of the old school and although i didnt agree with PT on a lot of things I too miss him a bit. There are however some apparently nasty mean minded people with hidden agendas that I dont miss.

Ill keep moseying on in for a look see and post on what i feel like posting on when i feel like it in the manner i feel like. Hey ho...summer is beckoning so its likely to be less.