PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism

Kevin Milkins
13-Feb-10, 21:13
Having already made a derogatory remark in the wrong thread, I thought it might be more appropriate to start a thread on a subject that may, or maybe not of interest.

It would seem competition, sport, one upmanship, etc, is based on, my house is bigger than yours, my school is better than yours, my football team is better than yours, and so on.

I am a big fan of all of the above and I love all the banter that comes with it, however, where does it start to loose it's shape.:confused

From a sport point of view I think that everyone supports there nation even if they are not really that interested in sport, but I find it extraordinary that although we would want our team, club or country to be successful, how do you feel about having someone from outside that province being in charge of it's success or failure?

ducati
13-Feb-10, 21:18
Having already made a derogatory remark in the wrong thread, I thought it might be more appropriate to start a thread on a subject that may, or maybe not of interest.

It would seem competition, sport, one upmanship, etc, is based on, my house is bigger than yours, my school is better than yours, my football team is better than yours, and so on.

I am a big fan of all of the above and I love all the banter that comes with it, however, where does it start to loose it's shape.:confused

From a sport point of view I think that everyone supports there nation even if they are not really that interested in sport, but I find it extraordinary that although we would want our team, club or country to be successful, how do you feel about having someone from outside that province being in charge of it's success or failure?

Some would want the best person for the job regardless of where they come from.

Or you could loose all the time but be proud your manager is English/Scots/Welsh.....:mad:

Each
13-Feb-10, 22:35
If you have the opportunity to improve your own game by learning from the best in the world - why would you get upset if they werent the same nationality.

Competition in sport has lost its way because it has become focused on beating the opposition at any cost. Anyone how doesn't agree is your enemy - whether it is other supporters - the referee - the press..

In national sport - everyone else is the opposition - if your a scot - there is a special place reserved for one particular nation...

It need not be a national obsession - if you live in our largest city - there is another way for football supporters to characterise their enemy.

The focus needs to shift away from beating opponents (enemies) - to an approach based on self-improvement. Where any match is an opportunity to test your own skills - strength - imagination. Where sucess is measured on how far you yourself have come - rather than who you have beaten (or who has beaten you)

A focus on Self improvement - would also lead to better conduct by individuals on and off the pitch.

In my mind - the emphasis on drama / emotional responses / conflict in sport are a direct result of media hype and marketing - in order to sell vastly over priced clothing. [disgust]