PDA

View Full Version : Nicola Sturgeon should she stay or go

golach
12-Feb-10, 20:44
Our Deputy First Minister has got herself in the public eye again by writing to the Glasgow Sheriff Court in defense of one of her constituents, a fraudster charged with defrauding the DWP of £80K, this is not the first time this person has been charged with fraud, he has already served a previous conviction of defrauding the DWP of £60k.

Our beloved First Minister is defending her also!!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/7216106/Alex-Salmond-backs-deputy-over-lobbying-court-for-serial-fraudster.html

im behind you
12-Feb-10, 20:49
go. and with the rest of the party.

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 20:54
She was acting in the interest of her constituents, who happen to include the man's family.

This country needs to do something about the growing prison population. Writing the odd letter relating to someone who is guilty of a non-violent crime yet might face imprisonment, in order to encourage a non custodial sentence, could hardly be more appropriate.

shazzap
12-Feb-10, 20:55
GO.........[disgust]

gleeber
12-Feb-10, 20:57
At the very least she showed a severe lack of judgement.
In her defence apparently it's not unusual for a constituents MP to send a letter of support to the court without knowing them. Thats what makes it so silly that she didnt consider it more carefully.
Does it matter if she goes or not? :confused

Stack Rock
12-Feb-10, 21:14
She was acting in the interest of her constituents, who happen to include the man's family.

This country needs to do something about the growing prison population. Writing the odd letter relating to someone who is guilty of a non-violent crime yet might face imprisonment, in order to encourage a non custodial sentence, could hardly be more appropriate.

Surely there must be a custodial deterrent especially for repeat offenders. Otherwise those with families on benefits would have a field day. Benefit fraud is costing the honest taxpayer a fortune.

Tighsonas4
12-Feb-10, 21:19
At the very least she showed a severe lack of judgement.
In her defence apparently it's not unusual for a constituents MP to send a letter of support to the court without knowing them. Thats what makes it so silly that she didnt consider it more carefully.
Does it matter if she goes or not? :confused
matters little to me anyway lol tony

hunter
12-Feb-10, 21:21
She could've stayed if she'd been wise enough to own up to an error of judgement.

First rule when you are in a hole is to stop digging. Salmond did a double-shift with the shovel yesterday.

gleeber
12-Feb-10, 21:23
matters little to me anyway lol tony

You should have gone to specsavers hahaha :eek:

Mik.M.
12-Feb-10, 22:00
Another MP with an error of judgement :lol:
Kick her out and her boss.
The guy had previously been convicted of the same offence,surely she should have researched him before writing the letter,if not her then one of her staff.

NickInTheNorth
12-Feb-10, 22:00
everyone deserves to have the help of their constituency MP in times of trouble. Indeed it is one of the few worthwhile roles that MP's / MSP's still have - their vote in parliament long since mortgaged to their party.

Plenty of other MP's have written letters of support for constituents in equally unforgivable situations (and far worse too!).

Leave her alone, and well done for supporting her constituent!

Whitewater
12-Feb-10, 22:25
She should go, very silly thing to do, she should also take the rest of the SNP with her.

Rictina
12-Feb-10, 22:41
GO [disgust] .....

Stack Rock
12-Feb-10, 22:51
everyone deserves to have the help of their constituency MP in times of trouble. Indeed it is one of the few worthwhile roles that MP's / MSP's still have - their vote in parliament long since mortgaged to their party.

Plenty of other MP's have written letters of support for constituents in equally unforgivable situations (and far worse too!).

Em - just because a constituent comes to a MP or MSP for support doesnt mean he/she is 'right' and warrant support. In this case he's pulled the wool over her eyes and she has been gullible.
He's previously been convicted - How many chances do you give these people!!!! Confiscate his assets as well.

hunter
12-Feb-10, 23:01

It isn't so much that she's asking for leniency for a thief, it's the fact he's stolen from the public purse - and not for the first time. Surely it is the duty of politicians to look after our money, not excuse those who steal it? Public money is public money, whether it is administered by the DSS or the NHS.

I imagine a posse of Sunday newspaper journalists will be busy looking for evidence to explain why she chose to plead the case on behalf of this particular thief.

Fly
12-Feb-10, 23:36
She should go and take her boss with her.

Green_not_greed
13-Feb-10, 00:47
go. and with the rest of the party.

Yes please!

Aaldtimer
13-Feb-10, 05:27
Not often I agree with a Tory, especially DC but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8513724.stm

This is a man convicted of fraud to the tune of £60,000, jailed for 4 years in 1996, who "forgot" he had a house worth £200,000 in Edinburgh, lived in a house worth £400,000 in Glasgow, and was claiming Housing Benefit![disgust]

Surely the source of his wealth has to be investigated?
And any ill-gotten gains appropriated.
And his so-called "ill health" rigorously questioned!

These parasites should be rooted out as it's their greed that is sapping the funds of the nation.

And wee Nicky should hang her head in shame!

(Which is exactly what she appeared to be doing on the TV coverage whilst Fat Eck blustered on in her defence!)

LMS
13-Feb-10, 09:35
She should go and take her boss with her.

I never really understood why people felt the need to pelt MPs with rotten eggs.....until Alex Salmond came on the scene. That man makes my blood boil, he is a complete idiot. Quite frankly, I think we should take Sturgeon, Salmond and all the other SNP trock and line them up and pelt them with rotten eggs before booting them all into the Firth of Forth.

smee
13-Feb-10, 09:57
I think the letter was writen on behalf of Donald Findlay QC not the fraudster, although anyone who can afford that QC could easily afford a few MSP's.
The fraudster should have his assets seized like all other major criminals and brought to a level where he would need benifits.

concerned resident
13-Feb-10, 11:36
This is just the other parties gripping at the SNP, so we are distracted, and do not realize what other corrupt deeds they have been up to, why do they even concern them selves with this minor detail, as they consider the Scottish general public to stupid to vote in a referendum, so they will decide for us. I find this an insult to Scotland and its people.

hunter
13-Feb-10, 12:55
This is just the other parties gripping at the SNP, so we are distracted, and do not realize what other corrupt deeds they have been up to, why do they even concern them selves with this minor detail, as they consider the Scottish general public to stupid to vote in a referendum, so they will decide for us. I find this an insult to Scotland and its people.

We might be bad, but we're not as bad as the other parties? Hmmmmmmm

ducati
13-Feb-10, 13:11
I never really understood why people felt the need to pelt MPs with rotten eggs.....until Alex Salmond came on the scene. That man makes my blood boil, he is a complete idiot. Quite frankly, I think we should take Sturgeon, Salmond and all the other SNP trock and line them up and pelt them with rotten eggs before booting them all into the Firth of Forth.

Don't beat around the bush, tell us what you think ;)

ducati
13-Feb-10, 13:14
We might be bad, but we're not as bad as the other parties? Hmmmmmmm

That gets my vote for the election poster

Humerous Vegetable
13-Feb-10, 15:58
It isn't so much that she's asking for leniency for a thief, it's the fact he's stolen from the public purse - and not for the first time. Surely it is the duty of politicians to look after our money, not excuse those who steal it? Public money is public money, whether it is administered by the DSS or the NHS.

I imagine a posse of Sunday newspaper journalists will be busy looking for evidence to explain why she chose to plead the case on behalf of this particular thief.

This constituent was obviously following the example of our very honest and law-abiding Westminster MPs, but at least he has come clean and admitted his guilt, and not tried to excuse himself by pretending "oversights" and mix-ups with his paperwork.
It is the duty of politicians to look after our money? Yes, apparently from the very close quarters of their own bank accounts.
With the extremely ambiguous role-modelling shown by these public figures, it's hardly surprising that other recipients of public money try to get their trotters in the same trough.

Ricanna
13-Feb-10, 21:31
Go for all the serious reasons above but also for the very annoying reason that once you are in Office, it seems you have to nod a lot when questioned--are they trained to do this--even our First Minister has started to do so though he resisted it for a long while.;)

highlander2222
14-Feb-10, 18:30
Go and take the FISH with here