PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Winter Olympics

Stavro
12-Feb-10, 17:51
Any sporty, orgers keen on keeping up with the latest news on the Vancouver Winter Olympics? I know my sis is mad on the skating! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSncdPP8VY

Angela
12-Feb-10, 18:21
I enjoy it all really but I especially like watching the luge and the ski jump. :eek:

Possibly because they both seem such terrifying and really unlikely sports! :mad:

The downside is that I feel quite chilly enough already without seeing more snow and ice. I think viewing will mean snuggling under the duvet with plenty of hot drinks and snacks.... ;)

Stavro
12-Feb-10, 18:28
I enjoy it all really but I especially like watching the luge and the ski jump. :eek:

Possibly because they both seem such terrifying and really unlikely sports! :mad:

The downside is that I feel quite chilly enough already without seeing more snow and ice. I think viewing will mean snuggling under the duvet with plenty of hot drinks and snacks.... ;)

I think that they were forced to import a whole load of snow - don't know how they do that.

canuck
12-Feb-10, 20:18
I think that they were forced to import a whole load of snow - don't know how they do that.

'Trucks' - big trucks which in a normal winter are used to haul the snow away as the streets are plowed. My daughter mentioned air transport as well. We'll be watching for her in the crowds, especially at the curling venues where she has tickets. At least I think that it was curling tickets which she charged to my VISA account about 6 months ago.

Ricco
12-Feb-10, 21:55
'Trucks' - big trucks which in a normal winter are used to haul the snow away as the streets are plowed. My daughter mentioned air transport as well. We'll be watching for her in the crowds, especially at the curling venues where she has tickets. At least I think that it was curling tickets which she charged to my VISA account about 6 months ago.

Tut, tut, Canuck. You should not let others use your card or account, you know.

Me - I'm really looking forward to it. I shall be up watching the opening ceremony tonight. My step-mom sent some Olympipc mittens but my pair were too small so I am hoping to get a bigger pair.

Thumper
12-Feb-10, 22:39

The downside is that I feel quite chilly enough already without seeing more snow and ice. I think viewing will mean snuggling under the duvet with plenty of hot drinks and snacks....

I noticed that one luge competitor died today in practise,very sad :( x

Angela
12-Feb-10, 22:47
I noticed that one luge competitor died today in practise,very sad :( x

That is very sad, Thumper. :( I hadn't noticed that until now - I've just found a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/luge/8513595.stm

canuck
12-Feb-10, 23:22
Tut, tut, Canuck. You should not let others use your card or account, you know.

Me - I'm really looking forward to it. I shall be up watching the opening ceremony tonight. My step-mom sent some Olympipc mittens but my pair were too small so I am hoping to get a bigger pair.

Aren't the Olympic mittens wonderful? I have been wearing mine and getting some strange looks here in Edi. Hopefully a larger size will arrive for you soon.

brandy
12-Feb-10, 23:44
he crashed going about 90 miles per hour... have seen the video and pics.. very graphic.. and shows how very dangerous it is.. he was only 21... there is talk or georgia pulling out. .but do not know if that is just rumours or not

BRIE
13-Feb-10, 10:13
getting back on thread I love the ice skating too stavro:D

Stavro
13-Feb-10, 15:35
getting back on thread I love the ice skating too stavro:D

Thanks for getting this back on track (absolutely no pun intended), BRIE.

I am not too keen on the individual stuff, because they have to be so technical that you spend the whole time expecting them to fall over any second. Pairs are great, but my favourite is ice dance. :)

Stavro
13-Feb-10, 17:08
Worth a browse. :)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figure-skating-photos/

http://www.vancouver2010.com/gfx/00/18/32/p_12d-Ga.png

Aaldtimer
13-Feb-10, 17:54
Aaldtimer, you are confusing me with another poster. I never criticized Boozeburgler (for your information, I agree with him). :roll:

Sorry Stavro, my apologies...confused.com!:eek:
Should have been MA that message was for.
...well, it was late!

Stavro
13-Feb-10, 18:01
Sorry Stavro, my apologies...confused.com!:eek:
Should have been MA that message was for.
...well, it was late!

Fair enough.

Ricco
13-Feb-10, 21:15
I have just watched my recording of the opening ceremony - tears in my eyes. Wonderful graphics, choreography and technical harmonisation. Hope you saw it, Canuck!

Wish I could get it on video. :(

canuck
13-Feb-10, 21:42
Ricco, I found your mittens.

http://store.hbc.com/renderImage.image?imageName=hbc/hbc_RTUAF915.jpg&width=102&height=102&padding=2

I saw only the BBC replay of the opening ceremonies. I'll have to find the full show. I was talking to a colleague from BC this afternoon. He said that it was spectacular.

Fingers, toes - everything else crossed in hope of a gold medal soon.

Kenn
13-Feb-10, 22:13
I usually enjoy watching but if they are going to continue with the ridiculous music,I thought the TV was about to burst into flames, I for one will either be watching with the sound off or not watching at all.

14-Feb-10, 02:56
Several posts have been removed from this thread.

If you have any problem with this decision, please direct your questions to Moderator via the PM system.

Ricco
14-Feb-10, 09:15
Ricco, I found your mittens.

http://store.hbc.com/renderImage.image?imageName=hbc/hbc_RTUAF915.jpg&width=102&height=102&padding=2

I saw only the BBC replay of the opening ceremonies. I'll have to find the full show. I was talking to a colleague from BC this afternoon. He said that it was spectacular.

Fingers, toes - everything else crossed in hope of a gold medal soon.

Canuck - you will find it Here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qfb72/b00qf9kc/Olympic_Ceremony_Vancouver_2010_Opening_Ceremony/).

Angela
14-Feb-10, 13:15
A friend's daughter is currently visiting the Olympics as part of her honeymoon...yes, she's a sporty girl!

Her pal, Gill Cooke, is competing with Nicola Miniciello in the bobsleigh -GB two woman team - so I'll be crossing my fingers for them. Hope they do well. :)

Stavro
14-Feb-10, 20:31
A friend's daughter is currently visiting the Olympics as part of her honeymoon...yes, she's a sporty girl!

Her pal, Gill Cooke, is competing with Nicola Miniciello in the bobsleigh -GB two woman team - so I'll be crossing my fingers for them. Hope they do well. :)

Exciting, I wish them well. Have you heard anymore news about the hoo-ha regarding the magnetic components that the Germans are apparently using in their sledges? Home side, Canadian team member Jeff Paine is unhappy about this. :roll:

Kenn
14-Feb-10, 22:34
There is NO way I'd even contemplate sliding down that ice!

sandyr1
18-Feb-10, 19:46
Aren't the Olympic mittens wonderful? I have been wearing mine and getting some strange looks here in Edi. Hopefully a larger size will arrive for you soon.

Hi Canuck.......The highlite of V/President Joe Biden's visit to the Olympics was him showing his Canadian Mitts, with palms outstretched. He said he loved them.
And who said the Yanks were................!

thebigman
19-Feb-10, 18:43
Snowboard cross was excellent and the skeleton one where they seem to be using tea trays :-)

bluechesse
19-Feb-10, 20:00
Anyone watch the mens snowboard half pipe? Absolutley amazing!

Angela
19-Feb-10, 20:02

It was fantastic. Shaun White is brilliant. :Razz

My son in law's a (recreational) snowboarder and this is the first time I've watched and felt able to share his enthusiasm. :D

Foxy
20-Feb-10, 02:47
First british gold thanks to Amy Williams. :cool:

Metalattakk
20-Feb-10, 03:38

It was fantastic. Shaun White is brilliant. :Razz

Aye I saw that. It was the closest you'll get to sporting Rock 'n' Roll. Fantastic athleticism too. ;)

She's been awesome right from the get-go.

It's an amazing sport. I'd jump at the chance of a shottie down that course. Head first. Face down. On a tea-tray. Wearing a skin-tight all-over full body lycra condom.

Bring it on, I say!

webmannie
20-Feb-10, 17:47
Face down. On a tea-tray. Wearing a skin-tight all-over full body lycra condom.

Bring it on, I say!

Scary thought!!

Metalattakk
20-Feb-10, 18:37
Scary thought!!

Not as scary as the Luge (Men's Doubles).

Two guys, one on top of the other. Face up. Feet first. On a tea-tray. Wearing skin-tight all-over full body lycra condoms.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/84741419.jpg

webmannie
20-Feb-10, 18:41
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/84741419.jpg

Is it compulsory to paint their faces to match their helmets?

Metalattakk
20-Feb-10, 18:43
I expect it helps hide their shame. ;)

Invisible
20-Feb-10, 19:47
the guy on the bottom looks very uncomfortable

Stavro
20-Feb-10, 21:09

Well done to Amy Williams - Britain's ninth Winter Olympic gold medal in 86 years!

canuck
20-Feb-10, 21:11
Yes, well done to Amy Williams.

Ricco
21-Feb-10, 10:09
Sadly, the men's UK lost to Canada last night, though I am pleased that Canada are going on through.

canuck
21-Feb-10, 14:35
Sadly, the men's UK lost to Canada last night, though I am pleased that Canada are going on through.

I think that the sport is curling.

Stavro
21-Feb-10, 22:47
Yes, well done to Amy Williams.

What's with this helmet complaint from Canada (and the US)? How could it be too aerodynamic? :eek:

David Banks
21-Feb-10, 23:11
Well done to Amy Williams - Britain's ninth Winter Olympic gold medal in 86 years!

Yeah - brilliant - but where in Britain is there a track that she can train on ?
However did she get started ?

bluechesse
21-Feb-10, 23:13
What's with this helmet complaint from Canada (and the US)? How could it be too aerodynamic? :eek:

Because its MORE aerodynamic than theirs!:lol:

Stavro
22-Feb-10, 23:36
Some great routines and costumes in the ice dance. :) Very impressive.

Metalattakk
23-Feb-10, 04:13
Some great routines and costumes in the ice dance. :) Very impressive.

Maybe so, but it's still an event that is measured on opinion and not on measurable fact. Therefore in my opinion, Ice Dancing is not a sport and certainly should not be an Olympic sport.

The Olympic motto is: "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."

The Olympic motto is not: "Prettier, Nicer, Cleverer."

sandyr1
23-Feb-10, 04:34
Now now my man! Can you do any of it??

Metalattakk
23-Feb-10, 04:43
Nope. But neither can I do (or would want to do, or even take an interest in) any sport that has a scoring system based purely on opinion and not fact.

"Swifter, Higher, Stronger." Them's the rules.

sandyr1
23-Feb-10, 05:08
Come on...lets see your softer side/////
Takes all kinds to make this great World!

Stavro
23-Feb-10, 19:45
Maybe so, but it's still an event that is measured on opinion and not on measurable fact. Therefore in my opinion, Ice Dancing is not a sport and certainly should not be an Olympic sport.

The Olympic motto is: "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."

The Olympic motto is not: "Prettier, Nicer, Cleverer."

It can't be quite as simple as that, for whenever there is a punch-up in the ice hockey (pretty frequently :) ), then someone gets put into the sin bin, rather than scoring some points.

George Brims
23-Feb-10, 20:18
It's an amazing sport. I'd jump at the chance of a shottie down that course. Head first. Face down. On a tea-tray. Wearing a skin-tight all-over full body lycra condom.

Bring it on, I say!
If any of you ever get to visit Calgary, you can try the luge at Olympic Park. The tourist version starts about 2/3 the way down, so you don't get to the speeds of the real competitors, but you do hit about 30 to 35 mph, which seems horribly fast when your bum is about 3 inches off the ice! With the helmet on and the canvas sunshades over the ice, you hear almost nothing, so it's quite a spooky feeling to be going so fast so quietly. It isn't cheap, but it was worth every penny! I got down OK then waited for our friend to arrive for quite a while. Then another bloke, who had been launched after me came limping out of the end carrying the sledge, having crashed about half way down.

I am not sure I fancy skeleton though. Head first?

Stavro
25-Feb-10, 16:42
Bad luck for the British girls in the 2-woman bobsleigh -

"Minichiello clambered out of her bob in tears before embracing shaken brakewoman Gillian Cooke after their frightening crash.

"Minichiello and Cooke, who captured world gold in Lake Placid, had plenty of work to do after the first two runs and were lying 10th before sliding down into 16th place following the crash. They did not take part in the fourth and final run."

(Source - Yahoo Sport web site)

They were too far behind to get into the medals, but overturning the bob must have been really frightening. :eek:

annemarie482
25-Feb-10, 16:46
its the keiss football clubs

"winter bar olympics" this sat night,

prob be far more interesting! lol

Stavro
25-Feb-10, 21:14
its the keiss football clubs

"winter bar olympics" this sat night,

prob be far more interesting! lol

In training for the darts competition -

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/71725906.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD3D6E8E24F8AD364C 816823CC3D155DC15BC13F1BB2CBE2370B6AE4F903F69820

:D

Stavro
01-Mar-10, 02:10
The ice hockey attracts some pretty tough cookies, as we can judge from one of the spectators (he was just at the curling competition)!!

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/reuters/20100228/20/876111263-fan-watches-men-curling-gold-medal-game-canada-norway.jpg

:eek:

sandyr1
01-Mar-10, 06:02
The ice hockey attracts some pretty tough cookies, as we can judge from one of the spectators (he was just at the curling competition)!!

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/reuters/20100228/20/876111263-fan-watches-men-curling-gold-medal-game-canada-norway.jpg

:eek:

This is the real Canada/ Real down to Earth people.....I am so proud!

Invisible
01-Mar-10, 16:48
what did you folks think of the closing ceremony, I thought it was quite spectacular but was gutted not to see Paul Gross (Due South)

sandyr1
01-Mar-10, 17:00
The closing ceremony was very well done...
This has been quite a boost for Canada. Since the past 38 years that I have been here, the general consensus is that we play a kind of second fiddle to the Unites States, but I do think we (included in that is immigrant me) are becoming somewhat of a powerhouse around the World.
Of course this is a true land of immigrants...
And we are one tenth the population of the US......
Glad to see people have noticed. And did you see Captain Kirk!!!

Stavro
01-Mar-10, 17:17
Yes, impressive closing ceremony. Well done to Canada (especially for beating the US in the ice hockey final).

Captain Kirk? :eek:

sandyr1
01-Mar-10, 17:33
Yes, impressive closing ceremony. Well done to Canada (especially for beating the US in the ice hockey final).

Captain Kirk? :eek:

William Shatner!!!! Cpt Kirk...USS Enterprise...Beam me Up Scottie...... And Host of Rescue 911///like 999
It's OK...Likely I am in another World...Yes I am...North America!!

rich
01-Mar-10, 17:47
Who needed a closing ceremony - we won the hockey game!!!!!! That was enough. At work today there is the kind of collective hush that happens when the entire work-force is hung-over. Hung, hung, hung!!!!!I dont know who wrote the script for the final hockey game but it was a masterpiece. The USA tying the game with seconds on the clock, then sudden death overtime with Sid the Kid wrapping it up.
And the whole country exploded from coast to coast to coast...
But just look at the grim facial expressions of Team USA when they got their silver medals. These are not happy men! Other Olympic events have gold/silver/bronze and the athletes are positively gushing - but this doesn't happen in hockey. There's only one medal that counts and it sure as heck isn't the bronze or the silver! And yesterday afternoon we got it!!!!

sandyr1
01-Mar-10, 17:55
Yes many Hung Over////But you wouldn't want to be the Russian Team.
Putin made mention that he was not happy with them...I really wonder is it means a penalty in the Siberia Region......