PDA

View Full Version : please help

the original ducky
09-May-06, 21:25
hello my daughter is about to get the mmr injection but i am not sure whats are the pros and cons, i know that i can get info from doc and the web but what do u all think if you have children do they have it or are you for it or not? whats ur point of view??? :confused

Billy Boy
09-May-06, 21:34
we worried about it to and we were getting so much conflicting information from dr's, leaflets and on the news in the end after much discussion and debate we decided to go with it, and i still believe we made the right decision.
I was speaking to a woman not so long ago who has two boys aged about 5 and 7 and both of them are autistic yet none of them had the mmr jags.
there has been so much hype about it all that i feel that it has been blown out of all propotion. thats my opinion anyway.
my advise is to speak to your doctor and ask him or her about all of your concerns it certainly put our minds at rest and helped us to make a final decision

2little2late
09-May-06, 22:01
hello my daughter is about to get the mmr injection but i am not sure whats are the pros and cons, i know that i can get info from doc and the web but what do u all think if you have children do they have it or are you for it or not? whats ur point of view??? :confused

My children have had the MMR jabs and they are perfectly healthy. All the controversy about MMR is purely scaremongering in my opinion. I'm not even sure it has been proved the MMR causes autism. But, then it is a matter of choice, you will make your own decision. But what ever you decide you will have done so for all the right reasons.

charley9
09-May-06, 22:53
My little girl had the mmr, and has just had her booster, and she was fine both times. It is a big decision to make, but I decided for it, and am glad I did.

goldenguernsey
09-May-06, 23:58
Both of my youngest 2 had it and then went down some months later, with a "measles type virus"
They were quite ill and bordering on being admitted to hospital BUT.... I was told by the doctor, "This was nothing to do with the jab", half the school/nursery was away because of chickenpox and my 2 had this odd mutated measles type virus? It made them more debilitated than ordinary measles, (I know because my eldest had measles as a small child) and they were both felled with it.
My youngest is Dyslexic, dyspraxic, has Attention Deficit Disorder, and was the most Hyperactive infant on the planet (or so it seemed at the time) we were literally hanging off the ceiling at times. However, I would still have the MMR for my children all over again. I believe my youngest would have been just the same with or without the MMR and when given the odds and the damage these diseases can cause I still think prevention is better than cure.
My youngest is now 16 and has "grown out" (if that is the right description) of the hyperactivity stage. He remains dyslexic/dyspraxic and has learning difficulties (but so does his dad) and he is an extremely well adjusted teenager with 1st class manners and respect for other people.
I am very very proud of him and how he has empathy for people and animals alike. Values instilled over the years that will remain with him a lifetime.

marlyn
10-May-06, 19:36
My 4 year old had the injection and is totally fine, I had a bit of debate about it, but decided it was for the best when somebody pointed out to me that even if the hoo ha about mmr causing autism was true -measles can kill, autism doesn't.

It's a really difficult thing to decide though and it really is a very personal decision, I have it all to come again with my little one, although I don't feel that there is any decision this time.

Good luck with your decision making.

Ricco
10-May-06, 22:14
Interesting stuff - all these jabs that are worrying parents. When I was a kid my mom used to wait until she heard that so-and-so was down with something and then march us around to 'play' with them for the day. That way we caught it too and developed oour own immunity. Would probably be locked up for doing that now, but it didn't do us any harm. I don't remember any of us getting jabs.

As for these days I don't envy parents - it must be very worrying about what is best for your kids (never had any of my own). I would agree with all of the above - nothing has been proven that harm will come from having the jabs, but it sure will if they don't.

mareng
10-May-06, 22:46

Sorry - I'm not getting this................

If 90% of people that respond to your post, do so saying that they believe the MMR to be safe------- is it safe?

If only 10% say they believe it is safe --------- is it unsafe?

If it is important to you to make the correct decision, don't you think there are better sources of informed decision than a thread on a Caithness website? Unless you rank it alongside:

"What is everyone's favourite chipshop?"

Whitewater
10-May-06, 23:19

If 90% of people that respond to your post, do so saying that they believe the MMR to be safe------- is it safe?

If it is important to you to make the correct decision, don't you think there are better sources of informed decision than a thread on a Caithness website? Unless you rank it alongside:

You underestimate the intelligence of many of the contributors to this web site. This website is here for the use of anybody who wants to debate or ask for advice or help. Why should they not ask an opinion, if only for reassurance.

Yvonne
11-May-06, 13:03
Have you considered separate single injections for your daughter? I think 3 in one is not natural, especially if you consider no one contracts three diseases AT THE SAME TIME! Another advantage to a single dose is that it would allow time in-between to recover, as opposed to what I feel is rather an invasive shock to a young immune system. I hope whatever you decide goes well for your daughter. :D

lelebo
11-May-06, 13:22
While the three separate injections (which actually add up to 6 if you include the booster) may be less of a shock on the immune system, it can be extremely traumatic for the child. After much consideration and investigation (and a delay of about a year) I decided to give my daughter the mmr - she has had problems with injections - the first she had (the one before mmr) cause a swelling in her leg and when she did eventually get the mmr the needle snapped in her leg - she has now just been for her injections for going to school (2 needles at once) she was absolutely hysterical and had to be held down - there is no way either of us could have coped with her having an additional 4 injections!!! I have tried ways to help with her phobia and even took her with me when I got an injection so she could see it didn't hurt but she collapsed and had to lie on doctors couch to recover(she is 4)!! There are lots of considerations and its a difficult decision for any parent - good luck with whatever you decide.

Yvonne
11-May-06, 15:26
Hello,
Have a look at: http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vacingredient.htm
Hope it helps you make a decision.

sam
11-May-06, 19:08

what an ignorant person you are, the original ducky was asking for other peoples views not so that she could make up her mind on that alone, but so that she would know what other people had gone through, as she has stated in her post she's knows full well that she can get the information she need's for the doctors.
if you cant say anything positive to her then why dont you keep your opinions to yourself.
Its a hard enough decision to make without people like you posting crap on her thread[mad]

connieb19
11-May-06, 19:23
what an ignorant person you are, the original ducky was asking for other peoples views not so that she could make up her mind on that alone, but so that she would know what other people had gone through, as she has stated in her post she's knows full well that she can get the information she need's for the doctors.
if you cant say anything positive to her then why dont you keep your opinions to yourself.
Its a hard enough decision to make without people like you posting crap on her thread[mad]Well said sam!!!

gatekeeper
11-May-06, 20:26
When i was trying to decide whether or not to give my daughter the mmr i was advised by a friend (who is a health visitor in Glasgow) that autism is not realy diagnosed until around the age they are given the mmr so no one can say for sure that it can cause autism. About giving the mmr seperately, she said that a lot of people decided to do this and there became a shortage and some of the vaccine was been taken in from abroad and they do not have the same safety guidelines as we do.

DaScout
11-May-06, 20:28
I too am lokking for hilp im a hiilwalkur

mareng
11-May-06, 20:52
Its a hard enough decision to make without people like you posting crap on her thread[mad]

Well - thanks for that, I'm sure.

So - negative posts are to be avoided? There goes your whole forum.

But, if you look at the posts prior to mine - they mostly erred on the "I did it, and it was fine" kind of response, which prompted my post:

"Is this really a help? Is this what you are looking for?"

As for the MMR jab causing autism - they should have started giving separate injections across the UK when it was claimed there was a connection ---- Then, any change in autism figures could be analysed for a connection.

Funky_Foal
11-May-06, 20:53
is dascout anoying you too?

Funky_Foal
11-May-06, 20:58
shes/hes my friend

the original ducky
11-May-06, 21:10

i put this post on because i wanted to see what other parents have done its easy to read what you see on websites and in books and off of doctors but i like to see what other parents have done.

the original ducky
11-May-06, 21:15
thanks to everyone that has replayed to my post. i am gunna read up on it more before i make my decision but thank you everyone. xx

mareng
11-May-06, 21:17
i put this post on because i wanted to see what other parents have done its easy to read what you see on websites and in books and off of doctors but i like to see what other parents have done.

Fair enough, but unless you are seeking safety in numbers (and that does not affect outcomes), I still don't see how 3 people saying that they had no problems - helps you?

I don't think that MMR in one shot - causes autism, but - I'm not sure if my opinion on that carries any weight on the subject - much like most parents who have opted for one method or the other?