PDA

View Full Version : The Internet (my part in it's downfall)

ducati
11-Feb-10, 18:33
How will history be written?

In 50 years time how will children learn of history.

I learned from teachers and books written by learned scholars and they were fact. No one argued with them.

These days, it seems to me, that many people get their "facts" from the web. I've had Wikipedia quoted at me as a reference tool on this forum fer Christ’s sake!

I would humbly suggest that a new internet is started, a depository that only scholars are allowed to access and put information on. Otherwise we will have history made of the sort of cach some people spout on here.

What do you think?

Phill
11-Feb-10, 18:43
The 'tinterweb is the Sunday Sport of truth!

fred
11-Feb-10, 18:56

I learned from teachers and books written by learned scholars and they were fact. No one argued with them.

These days, it seems to me, that many people get their "facts" from the web. I've had Wikipedia quoted at me as a reference tool on this forum fer Christ’s sake!

I would humbly suggest that a new internet is started, a depository that only scholars are allowed to access and put information on. Otherwise we will have history made of the sort of cach some people spout on here.

What do you think?

You could always just start your own forum especially for people who think they're better than everybody else then we wouldn't have to be reading your whinging all the time.

redeyedtreefrog
11-Feb-10, 18:58
I'm pretty sure the gov't won't use Wikipedia in the curriculum

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 19:28
You could always just start your own forum especially for people who think they're better than everybody else then we wouldn't have to be reading your whinging all the time.

My goodness. How ironic.

DocStone
11-Feb-10, 19:35
For months I was listed on Wick's Wikipedia entry as a person of note:

http://i35.tinypic.com/3517n6w.jpg

Yoda the flump
11-Feb-10, 19:40
And what is the problem with Wiki?

Ok you can't take it as being 100% correct but it does give a basic understanding, is a useful starting point for research and has some good references.

DocStone
11-Feb-10, 19:41

Ok you can't take it as being 100% correct but it does give a basic understanding, is a useful starting point for research and has some good references.

Well for a start, I was not born in 1943 :(

Yoda the flump
11-Feb-10, 19:46
Well for a start, I was not born in 1943 :(

Rest correct I take it? :)

ducati
11-Feb-10, 19:50

Have you decided if you deny the holocaust yet?

DocStone
11-Feb-10, 19:51
Rest correct I take it? :)

Ach, don't you start :D

You slag one guy off for years on a forum (along with everyone else I would like to point out) about being a short-arse then meet him, only to find out he is taller than you, and you never live it down......

fred
11-Feb-10, 19:52

It doesn't say what some people want to believe.

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:00

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." - Winston Churchill.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 20:03
It doesn't say what some people want to believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Holocaust

Read all about it

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:11
...The_Holocaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Holocaust)

Why do you keep on mentioning some "holocaust" or other? Some baiting perhaps?

fred
11-Feb-10, 20:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Holocaust

Read all about it

What's your problem with it?

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 20:14
Are they joined at the hip?

ducati
11-Feb-10, 20:14
Why do you keep on mentioning some "holocaust" or other? Some baiting perhaps?

Its a cachometer

ducati
11-Feb-10, 20:16
Are they joined at the hip?

Who knows? I'm perfectly willing to accept they are on the same planet. Just not this one.

Yoda the flump
11-Feb-10, 20:19
me thinks ......

fred
11-Feb-10, 20:20
Its a cachometer

Could you point me to the dictionary definition of "cachometer"?.

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:24
Could you point me to the dictionary definition of "cachometer"?.

I thought maybe "cachometer" was an anagram of "holocaust," but no.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 20:30
I thought maybe "cachometer" was an anagram of "holocaust," but no.

What are you two gibbering about now?

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:32
What are you two gibbering about now?

Pay attention, ducati, we want your definition of "cachometer" please.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 20:36
Pay attention, ducati, we want your definition of "cachometer" please.

We? What do you think it is?

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:40

Just answer the question, old chap, since I have no idea what you are on about (~nothing unusual there, I suppose).

fred
11-Feb-10, 20:42

Look, if you don't know why you were criticizing Wikipedia why not just say so and save yourself a lot of embarrassment.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 20:46
More like Wakopedia.

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:49
More like Wakopedia.

So you have been contributing some of your "wisdom" to Wiki, boozleburger? :D

Stavro
12-Feb-10, 01:08
ducati, any chance that you could answer the question now, and state your definition of "cachometer" please?

ducati
12-Feb-10, 01:13
ducati, any chance that you could answer the question now, and state your definition please?

I can't be bothered to do a load of research and supply links etc I've got more important things to do. I just know I wouldn't trust a source of information that you could edit. And I'm suprised that you would trust a source that I can.

And as you don't trust the BBC or Sky or CNN or Fox or presumably Algazzera or any other mass media, I just wonder what sources you do trust?

Anyway does that answer your question?:)

Oh right, wrong question. A device for messuring cach-it was just a quip dont know why your so insistent.

ducati
12-Feb-10, 01:29
ducati, any chance that you could answer the question now, and state your definition of "cachometer" please?

Ah, I see the confusion now. missed word

northener
12-Feb-10, 11:05
I've got to agree that Wiki is a good starting point. But it is too easy to tinker with it. I've got no problem with using it to quickly reference info, but I'd never trust it 100%. It's very good for leading into more detailed research.

Ducati has a point when he says that some people will happily rubbish mainstream media and in the same breath quote from Wiki....I must be missing something there.

ducati
12-Feb-10, 11:28
Anyhoo, the sooner people get that the internet was started and developed as an advertising medium (once it was torn out of the hands of the American military who really would have liked to keep it for themselves) rather like a soap opera, and stop taking it so seriously the better. IMO:D

fred
12-Feb-10, 13:49
Anyhoo, the sooner people get that the internet was started and developed as an advertising medium (once it was torn out of the hands of the American military who really would have liked to keep it for themselves) rather like a soap opera, and stop taking it so seriously the better. IMO:D

I can see you weren't around in the early days of the internet.

I can assure you we did not develop it as an advertising medium.

ducati
12-Feb-10, 14:35
Just found a nifty feature though: Ignore Ahhh...

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 18:45

He he, the Al Gore "I invented the..." award for this week goes to Fred.

Pray tell, what did you have to do with developing the internet?

ducati
12-Feb-10, 18:54
He he, the Al Gore "I invented the..." award for this week goes to Fred.

Pray tell, what did you have to do with developing the internet?

Don't know what that post said cos of super ignore feature. But I was involved in the Training of early Novell, Cisco and (eventually) Microsoft network engineers who built the infrastructure. :cool:

And later for the open source bods who think citrix is good which it isn't

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 19:05
Don't know what that post said cos of super ignore feature.

You can't see what I quoted?

ducati
12-Feb-10, 19:09
You can't see what I quoted?

Oh.. Yes sorry. What's the bloody point of ignore if that happens? :roll:

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 19:14
There would still be a point.

It would at least let you see why someone else might be talking about.

Not as though someone will run around quoting the people you are ignoring every time they post. Or would they? You wouldn't want me to do that, would you?

Anyway, Fred was suggesting he has something to do with inventing the internet, and it was to him I was directing my question.

:)

ducati
12-Feb-10, 19:45

Not as though someone will run around quoting the people you are ignoring every time they post. Or would they? You wouldn't want me to do that, would you?

Anyway, Fred was suggesting he has something to do with inventing the internet, and it was to him I was directing my question.

That's very very good. still laughing-thanks[lol]

fred
13-Feb-10, 11:55

The internet wasn't invented, the concept of packet switching was invented as a means of maintaining communications after a nuclear war then once the technology was available the internet just evolved as people thought of new ways the technology could be used. Universities who had developed packet switching saw that files on a computer at one university could be made available instantly to students at every other university. No one planned everything, once the University's computers had the ability to communicate with each other they adopted the RFC system so that people developing the technology at a wide range of geographic locations could ensure the small part they were developing would work in with the parts others were developing. The internet made it possible to build the internet, it just pulled itself up by it's own bootstraps. There was no one in charge, no head, people just worked together, a lot of people in different fields, the academics, the radio amateurs, everyone who had a vision and the means.

Read the RFCs and you will read the history of how the internet evolved, start with RFC1885.

Boozeburglar
13-Feb-10, 12:51
Perhaps you should think about what I am saying.

Do you think that I am saying you invented the internet?

Am I not saying you think you invented the internet?

If I say I think you think you did something; does it mean that something was ever done?

I have not said the internet was invented.

My point was that you said . . .

. . . quite clearly suggesting you had some part in the origin of the internet as we know it.

Your delusion is rather like that ascribed rather inaccurately to Al Gore; and it is to his supposed claim to have invented the internet that I am making an oblique reference.

Perhaps I should keep it simple for you in future, but then my post was an answer to someone else who does not go out of their way to misunderstand everything.

ducati
13-Feb-10, 12:54
Perhaps you should think about what I am saying.

Do you think that I am saying you invented the internet?

Am I not saying you think you invented the internet?

If I say I think you think you did something; does it mean that something was ever done?

I have not said the internet was invented.

My point was that you said . . .

. . . quite clearly suggesting you had some part in the origin of the internet as we know it.

Your delusion is rather like that ascribed rather inaccurately to Al Gore; and it is to his supposed claim to have invented the internet that I am making an oblique reference.

Perhaps I should keep it simple for you in future, but then my post was an answer to someone else who does not go out of their way to misunderstand everything.

Get the impression you were typing veerryy slowly there bb

ducati
13-Feb-10, 13:35
Get the impression you were typing veerryy slowly there bb

Anyway, who or what invented the Internet aside. We have ended up with a vast library of unreliable information that is degrading more and more as time goes by. (Getting back to my original point).

And my worry is; future lazy researchers won't look anywhere else when studying (recent) history.

northener
13-Feb-10, 14:15
Anyway, who or what invented the Internet aside. We have ended up with a vast library of unreliable information that is degrading more and more as time goes by. (Getting back to my original point).

And my worry is; future lazy researchers won't look anywhere else when studying (recent) history.

That's the problem with a 'without rules', easily-accessible-by-all medium such as the interweb. Anyone can and will post as they see fit.

I think the benefits of the no rules internet outweigh any problems. I think you just have to look at the proper sources of the materiel being written and then make your own judgement on wether you should trust it or not.

Boozeburglar
13-Feb-10, 14:29
We are already seeing the internet being quoted in many news items, and Twitter being used widely.

This is the future, the truth is out there but soon it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Stavro
13-Feb-10, 16:16

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense, like your claim that the Internet was invented for advertising.

Whoops, you will probably spit out yet another dummy and close the thread now. Is this why you start these threads? :lol:

Boozeburglar
13-Feb-10, 16:30
Can you explain what exactly you think is nonsense Stavro?

Each
13-Feb-10, 18:23
If you give every source you read on the interenet equal authority, I could see how you might come to the conclusion that is all crap.

Clearly, as in real life, you have to give consideration to the reliability of the source material. Most of already do this - we dont all go responding to the hundreds of phishing email scams that appear everyday..!

Professionally, I have found the internet invaluable - through work we subscribe to numerous technical libraries including manufacturer technical data, British standardsand other official data etc which would previously have taken rooms and rooms of library shelves in our offices. As well as consuming space, wasting materials and postage, before the internet this data would also have been out of date very quickly, requiring constant updating with new hardcopies of catalogues and publications arriving annually.

We rely on this data...(if its all dodgy - we are going to be spending many years to come in the courts and professional indemnity/ public liabiity insurance would be impossible to obtain)

We distribute thousands of pages of data to consultants instantly, reducing our costs, admin time and environmental impact...

There are downsides -

you come across outragous claims by some and different points of view - but that a reflection of society,

The internet is the best thing since sliced bread...!:)