PDA

View Full Version : I love guns.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 00:56
Guns are much more than death machines, they are the ultimate examples of innovation and development to a purpose.

I hate what they are used for in general, but I love the way they have evolved and how clever they are.

What are your favourites?

joxville
11-Feb-10, 01:00
Spud guns. :)

changilass
11-Feb-10, 01:10
Water pistols.

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-10, 01:12
I think guns are great, and every household should have least two. Imaging the fun we could have in market square after each curry night.;)
http://www.kfai.org/files/images/gunslinger.gif
http://biobreak.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/gunslinger.jpg

brandy
11-Feb-10, 01:14
browning 9 mm high powered..

but i am an Anita Blake fan *Grins*

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 01:17
Kevin, I love those works, whose are they??

:)

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 01:20
My favourite is the original Gatling gun, which must have been as strange to the recievers as the first gun was to those without.

flash
11-Feb-10, 01:28
browning 9 mm high powered..

but i am an Anita Blake fan *Grins*

Fantastic piece of equipment, designed and in production pre WW11, adopted as the British service side arm late 40's and was still in service when I left the mob, (might still be for all I know)

One of the ones I was issued with had been in servive for about 40 years.

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-10, 01:28
Kevin, I love those works, whose are they??

:)

I have PM'd you.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 01:32
Twin Vickers mounted on a Land Rover. Whole swathes of landscape thoroughly perforated and set on fire-Sweet

flash
11-Feb-10, 01:41
Another fine weapon, in service for over 55 years with minimal modification

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-10, 01:51
Twin Vickers mounted on a Land Rover. Whole swathes of landscape thoroughly perforated and set on fire-Sweet

That post reminds me of John Ashton, (Det, John Taggert) saying to Judge Reinhold (Det, William (Billy) Rosewood), when he was displaying an unhealthy lust for heavy weaponry, "Billy, we really need to talk".:lol:

northener
11-Feb-10, 10:20
It's got to be the Lee Enfield .303.

An iconic weapon for me with all it's connections to WW1 & 2, respected and looked after by hundreds and thousands of British and Empire troops across the Globe, reliable, accurate and stops the target.

Always wanted one. I'm tempted to track down one of the .410 conversions or even a de-activated one.

http://www.wargroup.net/images/lee%20enfield%20No4.jpg

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 10:25
Those certainly are beautiful.

Lovely butts.

northener
11-Feb-10, 10:37

Lovely butts.

That bottom one looks like it's been restocked...nothing like a fresh young butt.....:Razz

Never seen that bottom version of the bayonet before, either.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 10:41

Lovely butts.

That takes me back, Accurate to up to a mile squinting through a pin hole sight.

Reminds me of a story. My Dad was a small arms instructor in the RAF Regiment. Had to take his RAF Marksman Certificate. This is on a "Run Down Range" Anyway his squad met the (Army) Butt crew in the pub the night before and they had a very long night. Needless to say the following day on the range, despite exhaustion, sweats and throwing up, nobody missed anything!

Talk about inter service cooperation [lol]

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 10:46
Don't think I would want to see that bayonet too closely. Looks lethal, especially with someone behind it.

tonkatojo
11-Feb-10, 11:06
the 7.62 SLR

northener
11-Feb-10, 11:34
Don't think I would want to see that bayonet too closely. Looks lethal, especially with someone behind it.

the 7.62 SLR

The blade on that bottom bayonet is exactly the same shape as the SLR bayonet (IIRC), I wonder if someones' modded one to a .303 pigsticker fitting?

Invisible
11-Feb-10, 11:41
hmmmm my favourite Gun, id have to say my great uncle John Gunn.

I do however like the Magnum from James Bond Goldeneye N64 game

ducati
11-Feb-10, 11:55
hmmmm my favourite Gun, id have to say my great uncle John Gunn.

I do however like the Magnum from James Bond Goldeneye N64 game

Or the BFG from Doom :cool:

dafi
11-Feb-10, 11:59
You have to go a long way before you top the AK47!!

cesare
11-Feb-10, 13:01
The Ar-15 :D
http://guns.yfa1.ru/eng/image/AR_15.jpg

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 13:48
The Ar-15 :D
Palitoy kid-on plastic trash!

Mind you it's fairly lasted!

tonkatojo
11-Feb-10, 13:57
It's got to be the Lee Enfield .303.

An iconic weapon for me with all it's connections to WW1 & 2, respected and looked after by hundreds and thousands of British and Empire troops across the Globe, reliable, accurate and stops the target.

Always wanted one. I'm tempted to track down one of the .410 conversions or even a de-activated one.

http://www.wargroup.net/images/lee%20enfield%20No4.jpg

Check this site out for a deactivated one Northener

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=16

This other site gives interesting .303 reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

flash
11-Feb-10, 14:14
That bottom one looks like it's been restocked...nothing like a fresh young butt.....:Razz

Never seen that bottom version of the bayonet before, either.

That will be the Lee Enfield No 9 bayonet, manufactured about 1949 and issue mainly to the Royal Navy

Saveman
11-Feb-10, 14:21
I'll confess this thread surprised me. Aren't these things specifically designed to end human life?

northener
11-Feb-10, 14:30
I'll confess this thread surprised me. Aren't these things specifically designed to end human life?

And your point is.....?

(With respect, Sir).

northener
11-Feb-10, 14:31
That will be the Lee Enfield No 9 bayonet, manufactured about 1949 and issue mainly to the Royal Navy

Ah luv this place sometimes....

Thanks for that, Flash. I've never seen that version before.

northener
11-Feb-10, 14:35
Check this site out for a deactivated one Northener

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=16

I really shouldn't look on sites like that. I've just spent £5k in my head.:~(

flash
11-Feb-10, 16:00

Surprised it took this long for someone to find offence. I fully agree with your sentiment regarding guns being specifically designed to end life, however if we are being realistic, they are a necessary evil. We could argue that the gun is purely a delivery system and that it is the ammunition used or the operator who stands at the blunt end that ends human life.
So far.... Guns mentioned are iconic designs, quite possibly used by members of the Org in defence of our fine country.

northener
11-Feb-10, 16:09
Surprised it took this long for someone to find offence. I fully agree with your sentiment regarding guns being specifically designed to end life, however if we are being realistic, they are a necessary evil. We could argue that the gun is purely a delivery system and that it is the ammunition used or the operator who stands at the blunt end that ends human life.
So far.... Guns mentioned are iconic designs, quite possibly used by members of the Org in defence of our fine country.

Think of another machine designed purely to kill - the Spitfire. Designed to bring death from the skies, yet revered for its lines, perceived beauty, speed and sound.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 17:07
Think of another machine designed purely to kill - the Spitfire. Designed to bring death from the skies, yet revered for its lines, perceived beauty, speed and sound.

Yeah, like the Cocal Cola bottle.

ducati
11-Feb-10, 17:09
Yeah, like the Cocal Cola bottle.

and the Rexel stapler.

annthracks
11-Feb-10, 18:02
I quite like the gun (is it a Gatling?) that the A10 Tankbusters carry - thhrrrrrrrb! :)

from Wiki - General Electric GAU-8/A Avenger is a 30 mm, hydraulically-driven seven-barrel Gatling-type rotary cannon that is mounted on the United States Air Force's A-10 Thunderbolt II

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/GAU-8_Avenger_contrast.jpg/800px-GAU-8_Avenger_contrast.jpg

ducati
11-Feb-10, 18:07
I quite like the gun (is it a Gatling?) that the A10 Tankbusters carry - thhrrrrrrrb! :)

Ooh yes Vulcan Cannon :Razz

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 18:11
I love my Velos stapler. It is amongst my precious things, the ones I will never part with.

annthracks
11-Feb-10, 18:12
Or a rail gun :-)

northener
11-Feb-10, 18:48
Mind nyou, if you're going to have a gun - you might as well have something that will leave an impression...literally...

This is 'Tempest', an accurate copy of a C17th bronze cannon. She was comissioned in the early Nineties to take part in various British Civil War re-enactments and living history displays around Britain. I was fortunate enough to be involved ion the building and crewing of this.

She fires a 2 1/2" solid shot from her bronze barrel about 600 yards accurately and was classed as a 'Falcon' under the old system of rating guns before moving onto rating by shot poundage. (BTW, the term 'Musket' is the smallest of the old type names, a musket being a small bird of prey).

Great fun....broke a few window panes, set of gawd knows how many car alarms off and terrified loadsa old ladies.

The photie with the handsome devil stuffing his face was taken at Gloucester, we had about 15 artillery pieces on a gunline and did a rolling barrage followed by about ten minutes of firing as fast as we could...what a noise....

I'll see if I can find any photies of her firing.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 19:18
Mind nyou, if you're going to have a gun - you might as well have something that will leave an impression...literally...

This is 'Tempest', an accurate copy of a C17th bronze cannon. She was comissioned in the early Nineties to take part in various British Civil War re-enactments and living history displays around Britain. I was fortunate enough to be involved ion the building and crewing of this.

She fires a 2 1/2" solid shot from her bronze barrel about 600 yards accurately and was classed as a 'Falcon' under the old system of rating guns before moving onto rating by shot poundage. (BTW, the term 'Musket' is the smallest of the old type names, a musket being a small bird of prey).

Great fun....broke a few window panes, set of gawd knows how many car alarms off and terrified loadsa old ladies.

The photie with the handsome devil stuffing his face was taken at Gloucester, we had about 15 artillery pieces on a gunline and did a rolling barrage followed by about ten minutes of firing as fast as we could...what a noise....

I'll see if I can find any photies of her firing.

You are allowed to keep things like this in your garage???

northener
11-Feb-10, 21:45
You are allowed to keep things like this in your garage???

Absolutely, being smoothbore it's classed as a shotgun - so can be legally held by anyone with an SC.

The biggest laugh was proving to Northamptonshires' Plod that it was secured in case someone stole it and used it in a robbery...but those are the rules - so we had to comply.[lol]

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 21:57
Absolutely, being smoothbore it's classed as a shotgun - so can be legally held by anyone with an SC. The biggest laugh was proving to Northamptonshires' Plod that it was secured in case someone stole it and used it in a robbery...but those are the rules - so we had to comply.[lol]
I bet even the polisman had to grin!

northener
11-Feb-10, 21:59
I bet even the polisman had to grin!

Indeedy, we pointed out that the barrel was secured with a bike chain and that we promised not to wheel it into the local branch of Lloyds TSB and demand money with menaces.;)

The local coppers thought it was brilliant.:Razz

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 22:25
Northener, there must be a film script in that story!

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 23:53
I saw A10's doing a firepower demonstration once, with the Gatling Gun -
I would NOT like to be on the receiving end of that.

But is such a device a work of art or a mere engineered artifact?

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 00:12
Yeah, impressive . . . until you see one of these . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1uvmdAPoM

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-10, 00:22
I would love to own a Desert Eagle! :cool: Beatiful weapon!

I havent fired a weapon in years. Was in the caithness shooting team with the Army Cadets. Got a few medals and trophies from it. Group shooting - moving targets.....1st out of hundreds. And we were the only team a man down!

Not to blow my own horn tho! [lol]

I would love to go shooting again. But im a perfectionist, would hate to have to start all over again!

My OH didnt believe me that i was a pretty good shot. But even my sister backed me up. (Not like her) :cool:

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 00:23
Fat Albert with a BAAAAD attitude!!!

Did you know that the Herc still holds the USAF record for the most consistent accuracy as.... a precision BOMBER?