PDA

View Full Version : e bay warning

sam09
11-Feb-10, 00:45
Today I was nearly conned into paying for a non existing campervan on e bay. I e mailed the person selling said campervan and asked if he/she had a buy it now price ( a common practice on e bay) I received an e mail back from the seller giving a price and asking for my e mail address and telling me that he/she would contact e bay to invoice me for it. An e mail duly arrived looking quite genuine from e bay, but telling me that the seller could not for some reason access their paypal account and asking me to pay by money gram direct into his bank. I was not that daft and directly got in touch with e bay sending them a copy of the e mail they confirmed my suspicions that it was a fake and said not to send money. What puzzled me was that the campervan was not removed from e bay and is still there inviting offers. When I asked e bay why this was they told me it can take two days to remove it. The listing finishes tomorrow. So beware if you are thinking of bidding on a campervan being sold from Troon,dont get stung. Also there is a camper similary advertised purporting to be in Wick and when I got in touch and said that I am a Weeker and asked for an address to go and look at it I got totally ignored, So beware.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 01:27
Yeah, it needs to be in a remote place so they get people who will pay blind.

Never pay anything without seeing the goods when it comes to vehicles.

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-10, 01:36
Yeah, it needs to be in a remote place so they get people who will pay blind.

Never pay anything without seeing the goods when it comes to vehicles.

I live in Wick and sold my camper van a couple of years ago, perhaps that's why I never got much interest in it when I advertised it for sale.:confused

EDDIE
11-Feb-10, 08:20
Sam if your buying a big item that costs a lot i wouldnt pay buy paypal i would pay in person most people would understand that.
What kind of campervan was you looking to buy anyway
I cant remember the name of the garage but there is a tiny village called pitcaple about 10 mile past inverurie on the way to inverness there is a garage there and theres a heap of old beatle cars and volkswagen vans and campervans i think they do they up and sell them

Gronnuck
11-Feb-10, 09:11
Sam if your buying a big item that costs a lot i wouldnt pay buy paypal i would pay in person most people would understand that.

Most buyers will only want you to pay a small up-front payment through PayPal by way of confirming the sale. They'll expect you to bring the balance with you when you come to collect. This is because they don't want to be paying PayPal huge fees/commission.

sam09
11-Feb-10, 13:54
Bought one today from reputable garage,Thanks folks good advice and lovely people on here.

bettedaviseyes
11-Feb-10, 15:06
scams like that are always happening on ebay it happened to me twice once for a wii then a phone i never payed cos now something was wrong and got in touch with ebay to let them know.