PDA

View Full Version : Groat report: Bignold Park for new High School?

Tubthumper
10-Feb-10, 23:54
A bit confused by this report, what's the problem with building it in the park - it's surely big enough?

Yoda the flump
11-Feb-10, 00:03
A bit confused by this report, what's the problem with building it in the park - it's surely big enough?

Because its used for this, that and anything else you can think of.

If it is the best place for a new school then why not?

Oh, sorry did I mention that there is history involved in it..........

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 08:22
It is a public space that is used alot. If a school is planted there, then there will be little in term of green spaces for Pultney. Towns should fight to hang onto their green spaces, even when srrounded by the countryside that we are.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 08:24
What's more important - losing part of a green space or having a decent school? :confused Anyway, wouldn't the place where the old school was be a handy new park once the buildings were removed?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 13:21
Maybe its just because I am not from Wick but whenever I pass Bignold Park the children are playing in the swing park, however the fields seem only to be used in earnest when there is football clubs using it.

I may just be passing at the wrong times :confused

A school could quite feasibly be placed in the far corner leaving the trees in situ. The football clubs could still use it and the public if its a community school would also have access to it. I am not saying I agree or disagree with it but its a thought.

Bit of a major deterrent for the dog poo depositors as I have often seen complained about on the forums. [lol]

riggerboy
11-Feb-10, 15:12
the bignold park doesnt belong to the council it belong to the people of wick, yes the council are charged with the upkeep of the land,

telfordstar
11-Feb-10, 15:36
Its my belief that the bignold park was gifted to the town for recreational/ leisure purposes. Im guessing that there would be a long legal fight if they did try and build a school there.

Tom Cornwall
11-Feb-10, 15:38
what about the unused Radio station..couldn't it be used for part of the new school, then knock down some of the present school...move the pupils in to the radio station site..rebuild where the old school was knocked down...move the rest into there and knock down the remainder of the old school and rebuild on that site...simples:)

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 15:46
Playing devils advocate now:

If there were to be a legal fight who would raise the action against Highland Council and how would the people of Wick move forward on this one as it is the Highland council who maintain these grounds or is there a fund somewhere into which the people of Wick contribute into for the up keep and maintenance of these grounds.

I cannot see Highland Council in these hard times upkeeping and maintaining something that does not belong to them? :confused

If the High School were to built on this park and If the ground were developed so that all the clubs and kids attending the High School could use it during and after the school times would this not ensure that the ground were being utilised by more people/children thus still benefiting the people of Wick and surrounding areas?

This would also still be roughly in keeping with the reason for gifting it to the town leisure and recreational use?

Just some thought provoking questions to help the debate. :)

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:17
Alice, that suggestion, which has great merits, would require 'change'. After all, that school's been good enough for generations of kids.
I've been letting ma dowgs poop on the Bignold for 50 years man and boy... Ma Grandfaither did it afore me!

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 19:34
With all the land around, a school does not need to be in the center of a town. Infact it would be better for it to be futher away from the chippies, sweet shops and supermarkets, in my opinion. Make sure it has a decent canteen that can cater to the numbers needed.
It is important for communities to have good schools, but not at the cost of public spaces. It could be argued that something everyone has a right to use is going to be given to the use of a few.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:38
It could be argued that something everyone has a right to use is going to be given to the use of a few.
Whaaaaaat???

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 19:44
A space that belongs to everyone ( that is public), is going to become available to only those authorised to use it ( ie: not everyone).

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:03
The Bignold Park is fairly - well, big. A new school would take up only a small part of it. The facilities would no doubt be available for use by all when available.
No wonder there's no decent candidates for Rector - the people of the town won't even discuss the options for a decent school.
It's the poor kids I feel sorry for; That'll be why they turn to drink, drugs and vandalism...

redeyedtreefrog
11-Feb-10, 20:07
The pupils were asked what they preferred and a huge majority said it should be on the current site, no the Bignold.

veritas
11-Feb-10, 20:09
What's more important - losing part of a green space or having a decent school? :confused Anyway, wouldn't the place where the old school was be a handy new park once the buildings were removed?

Correct !!!!!!!!

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:15
Its my belief that the bignold park was gifted to the town for recreational/ leisure purposes. Im guessing that there would be a long legal fight if they did try and build a school there.

Would it not revert back to the family of whoever bequeathed it to the people of Wick, if the Council tried to use it for some other purpose?

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:19
Surely a new school is for the benefit of the people of Wick, not the council?
And I'm not very happy that my council tax is being spent maintaining land that doesn't even belong to the council!

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 20:20
No wonder there's no decent candidates for Rector - the people of the town won't even discuss the options for a decent school.

By discussing options do you mean agreeing with the use of bignold park?????? I thought we were discussing options as it is.

I don't think bignold is big enough, not when they need different playing fields, swimming pool, different labs, etc, etc. If it is going to be done, make sure it's done right and not find out 10 years down the road that the space isinsufficient and number of rooms inadequate. Put it on the outskirts of town on some great big field with all the sports and learning facilities needed. Make it so good that 20 years from now it will still be agreat school to go to.

Stavro
11-Feb-10, 20:20
Surely a new school is for the people of Wick, not the council?

I presume that there would have been stipulations as to usage in the original deed of covenant, or whatever it's called.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:29
Bignold Park is way big enough. Also, building on the existing school site will interfere with the kids' schooling and expose them to dangers.
What's this about a swimming pool? Where's the money for that coming from??

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 20:51
The current highschool, as far as I am aware, has a pool that is shut because of maintenance issues, making it necessary for pupils to use the riverside pool. Is the new school going to be built with less facilities than the current one?

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:54
The current highschool, as far as I am aware, has a pool that is shut because of maintenance issues, making it necessary for pupils to use the riverside pool. Is the new school going to be built with less facilities than the current one?
In the current economic climate, why is a pool necessary? Surely better labs and classrooms would be a sounder investment?
Do you agree that having a noisy and dangerous building site right next to a school is a bad idea, when there are alternatives available?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 20:55
By discussing options do you mean agreeing with the use of bignold park?????? I thought we were discussing options as it is.

I don't think bignold is big enough, not when they need different playing fields, swimming pool, different labs, etc, etc. If it is going to be done, make sure it's done right and not find out 10 years down the road that the space isinsufficient and number of rooms inadequate. Put it on the outskirts of town on some great big field with all the sports and learning facilities needed. Make it so good that 20 years from now it will still be agreat school to go to.

The current site is also not big enough.

To go ahead and build in the playing fields would mean the purchase of more land according to the plans already drawn up. The old school front was going to be knocked down and the playing fields were going to go there right in front of the houses.

If the old school front is possibly to be left the playing fields wont fit in this area so even more land is going to have to be bought.

Not easy either site.

_Ju_
11-Feb-10, 21:10
In the current economic climate, why is a pool necessary? Surely better labs and classrooms would be a sounder investment?
Do you agree that having a noisy and dangerous building site right next to a school is a bad idea, when there are alternatives available?

I never said build it next to the current place. I would defend putting it on the outskirts of town.

Labs are important yes, but so is physical education. School is one of the few places we get putout of our comfort zone to try certain things that we might end up likeing. The way things are going now there will be a diabetic, obese and unfit society that will cost alot more than making sure that all schools have good sports facilities. Schools that hve these facilities are schools that have ppils that do better and are happier.

Wick66
11-Feb-10, 21:23
If they were to build on the Bignold Park site it would probably take around two years to complete. The current grass facilities at the High School are not suitable for most of the regular users of the Bignold and there are also inadequate facilities such as changing rooms. This may mean that sport in Wick will suffer for the next few years.

With the current discussions going on around Primary school provision in Wick, another option may be to close one such as the South or North, demolish it and use the ground for a new high school. This would mean the Council would have to purchase more ground for the school fields but there are sufficient spare ground around both these schools.

Surely this option would cause less controversy and would be acceptable to a majority of people that are not out to just rock the boat.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 21:41
If say you were to demolish South School and build on this site how would access for the buses dropping off and picking up be gained to the site? and the massive volume of traffic.

In demolishing a primary school to build the new High School also demolishing the main part of the old High School and tidying up the site would this not be a very expensive option given that the current financial climate is very tight. :confused

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 21:47
Schools that have these facilities are schools that have pupils that do better and are happier.
You're absolutely bang on correct about the need for sports. But I would dispute that last statement, after all Wick has had a swimming pool up till recently and it (according to many parents and pupils I've read on here, as well as by exam results) not been a particularly happy place.
But there are obviously other factors at play.

And by the way, I didn't start this thread to rock any boat: The Groat reported the story, I wish to know why Wickers will not countenance the Bignold Park option.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 21:50
This may mean that sport in Wick will suffer for the next few years.
What, so some sportsmen (like who??) can't suffer a wee bit of discomfort for a while, for the sake of better education for your kids????
What kind of people are you?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 21:53
A point to note was at a meeting the schools PE teacher stated that often many of the pupils especially the girls ( they have straightened their hair once that day already :Razz) sat out when it was swimming.

First year wasn't too bad but in time less pupils were taking the plunge and at times almost half the class would have a note to sit out of the pool.

Wick66
11-Feb-10, 22:00
If say you were to demolish South School and build on this site how would access for the buses dropping off and picking up be gained to the site? and the massive volume of traffic.

In demolishing a primary school to build the new High School also demolishing the main part of the old High School and tidying up the site would this not be a very expensive option given that the current financial climate is very tight. :confused

Your right Alice, but any option is giong to be expensive. What I can't understand is why some people are advocating building on one of the only green sites in the town, and no, I don't stay any where near the Bignold. Access to the current site is bad but this is one for planners to sort. What I was suggesting is making use of a possibly readily available site that would have few planning implications as it is already being used as a school site.

Wick66
11-Feb-10, 22:02
What, so some sportsmen (like who??) can't suffer a wee bit of discomfort for a while, for the sake of better education for your kids????
What kind of people are you?

The same ones that have had the discomfort of landing in the crap that you and your grandfather have allowed your dogs to leave all these years.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 22:24
The same ones that have had the discomfort of landing in the crap that you and your grandfather have allowed your dogs to leave all these years.
Good one:lol: But it has been good for the soil surely??

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-10, 23:10
What about if they do go ahead and build the New High School on the Bignold Park then redevelop the old High School site into a park area with trees, flowers, shrubs, etc, etc, a nice starting/stopping point to a walk up Newton.:)

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 23:14
I don't think Wick is all that badly off for green space. It doesn't have that 'congested' feel you get in some towns.
There is a good point though - having the school right in the town can help to build a feeling of ownership and pride, but having it on the outskirts offers more scope for expansion. There's also the expense and hassle of of bussing the kids about as well.
All the good people of Wick need to get right behind the new school, wherever it ends up! Remember it's not the Council's school it's YOURS!

wickscorrie
11-Feb-10, 23:40
Heard it from a good source that it was only one local councillor that wanted the school in the Bignold Park.They said this one new this would cause a storm in the town and said they were lead to beleive there was some hidden agenda involved.Why can they not get themselves organized and push ahead quickly when there is funding available for the School.I fear this will drag on and we will loose out again when it is obvious since a number of years that something needs to be done with the school.

Aaldtimer
12-Feb-10, 03:57
Good one:lol: But it has been good for the soil surely??

Dog sharn is NOT good for the soil!

joxville
12-Feb-10, 05:05

Playing devils advocate now:

If there were to be a legal fight who would raise the action against Highland Council and how would the people of Wick move forward on this one as it is the Highland council who maintain these grounds or is there a fund somewhere into which the people of Wick contribute into for the up keep and maintenance of these grounds.

I cannot see Highland Council in these hard times upkeeping and maintaining something that does not belong to them? :confused

If the High School were to built on this park and If the ground were developed so that all the clubs and kids attending the High School could use it during and after the school times would this not ensure that the ground were being utilised by more people/children thus still benefiting the people of Wick and surrounding areas?

This would also still be roughly in keeping with the reason for gifting it to the town leisure and recreational use?

Just some thought provoking questions to help the debate. :)
A similar situation sprang up in my home town back in the 60's. A new high school was needed and so it was decided to that it be built on land that had been bequeathed to the townspeople. I don't know what debates sprang up at the time, I was just an infant while it was being built. It's a huge park and the land the school sits on occupies maybe 1/10th of the area.

The school opened in 1970, a time when societies outlook on the environment in which they lived was very different to todays outlook.

_Ju_
12-Feb-10, 07:53
You're absolutely bang on correct about the need for sports. But I would dispute that last statement, after all Wick has had a swimming pool up till recently and it (according to many parents and pupils I've read on here, as well as by exam results) not been a particularly happy place.
But there are obviously other factors at play.

You are right, other factors are at play, like having a ruin of a school falling around their ears, making it an urgent necessity to build a new one. If good grades were dependant only on the sports facilities of the current premises it would be a case of fixing them up (just incase I wasn't clear enough)

Being on the outskirts would not significantly change the number of pupils being bused in, I think, Because Wick just isn't that big. But placing it lets say 0.5/1 mile out from where it is now, would leave less time for the kids to go to the chippie or sweet isle of the coop at lunch time. Probably more of them would stay in school for lunch. Shops wouldn't be under the stress of the highschool hords, with their hieghtened security. There would be less general litter generated. The kids meals would be healthier. They would be in a safer enviroment (yes I know they are teenagers and should know how to cross a street by 14, but they don't seem to). Also if the school were well designed, it would be a more pleasant place to be in and the need for escape would be less.
I will agree that placing it on the outskirts (which would not remain outskirts for long anyway- I am sure that when the current school was built it too was on the outskirts) might mean a few more kids needing to be bused in, but there are alot of advantages. It gives us the opportunity for building a great school and the kids deserve it after decades of what they currently endure.

brandy
12-Feb-10, 08:26
first of all bignold is not a HUGE park... does any one have the dimensions of the current school? how much land it takes up? we know that it is not big enough to house the students that we have at the moment and will need to be bigger.
take the size of the current school and compare it to the size of the park.
bignold is the only piece of green that we have of any size in the town.
personally, i think it is wrong to build there. i agree more with the idea of building on the outskirts of town. and again as long as we have well lit areas, pavments and safe routes to school, a majority of children could still walk.. depending on which side of the town its on. I see kids walking to tescos every single day, and that is on the outskirts of the town. also, on the idea of building a park on the current schools location.. you have to take in the costs of actually doing that.. how long will it take, manpower ect..
also, the fact that the front building is listed isnt it? what is to become of it? when it comes time for a new school, are they just going to leave the old school abandoned a big white elephant sitting in a residential area? are the buildings already in disrepair going to be let to fall into ruin? if there is an option on moving the kids temp. into other accomodation while a school is being built.. then i would say it would be better to demolish the current school and rebuild and improve the front building.
saying that... i love seeing the front of the school. it is a beautiful building, and with a little TLC it could be brought back to life. As far as i know.. its in the best repair of the lot.
Is there an alternate place the kids could go for a couple years while the school would be redone?

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-10, 08:39
The biggest problem that I can see with the whole project is..................money.Or lack off.

Highland Council as we can see from the Lybster Pool decision yesterday have to make cuts in Education services just to make ends meet at present.

Into this equation now they have to find possibly up to ten million pounds to build a new High School as the Government have only given them a percentage of the money needed to rebuild.

It will all boil down to the age old dilemma off how much is this all going to cost??

If the pot of money was sitting there, there would be no problem. I would think that the decision would then become much, much easier. :)

_Ju_
12-Feb-10, 09:16
From Google maps there is space behind the school. There is a great big field and for just a building not all of it would be needed. The schoold could safely function with building and refurbishment on the back part. When that was ready it could be occupied while the rest of the school was worked on. If only there was money, money, money.

PS: Brandy, I agree with you. To me Bignold park does not look much bigger than where the highschool currently is. They would have to build up, to 3/4 stories and that would not be right in that area.

PPS: If I win euromillions today I will make a sizeable donation! ;)

brandy
12-Feb-10, 09:52
now i know this will prob. hit a very sore spot... but i am curious and it is just a suggestion. we have so much money put towards a new school.. plus the council would have to put in so much. is there anything as a community that we could do to raise money as well?
i know that in an ideal world our taxes would go to pay for something like this.. but at the end of the day.. it comes down to the bottom dollar.. or pound as the case may be. i honestly do not know how one would go about trying to raise funds to build a new school. but it is just a thought. is it feasable or am i speaking complete rubbish again?

cuddlepop
12-Feb-10, 09:59
The biggest problem that I can see with the whole project is..................money.Or lack off.

Highland Council as we can see from the Lybster Pool decision yesterday have to make cuts in Education services just to make ends meet at present.

Into this equation now they have to find possibly up to ten million pounds to build a new High School as the Government have only given them a percentage of the money needed to rebuild.

It will all boil down to the age old dilemma off how much is this all going to cost??

If the pot of money was sitting there, there would be no problem. I would think that the decision would then become much, much easier. :)

your right Alice money or lack of it I assume is the reason our proposed new Gaelic school in POrtree is not being progressed.
Sites were suppose to be identified and reported to committee last November.
You'll need to keep the pressure up to get your new school .

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-10, 10:10
is it feasable or am i speaking complete rubbish again?

Its feasible. :D

Many schools now resort to fundraising to get the little extras. :)

wickscorrie
12-Feb-10, 18:18
I heard that the councillor who was for the bignold park was after funding for another project in the town and new that this would stir things up.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-10, 18:35
I heard that the councillor who was for the bignold park was after funding for another project in the town and new that this would stir things up.

And why would they want this ? :confused

florence
13-Feb-10, 21:39
Since when was the Bignold Park in the frame? I had heard it was to go at the back of the existing school, where there is plenty of room. They were hoping to do something with the old part at the front.

Delaying tactics definitely. [evil] Pathetic when it's the kids that are suffering.

Venture
20-Jun-10, 23:32

It seems they have found a pot judging by this statement in Friday's Groat.

However, a Highland Council spokesman said yesterday that the meeting in Inverness would be considering a recommendation not to spend £30m on five care homes and actually to invest £130 million in education.
"The council is making education its number one priority. Wick is earmarked to get £30 million, of which £18.4 million will come from the Scottish Government. That is fantastic news for Wick," he said.

Funnily enough I have heard very little arguing about money in the process so far. I wish I could say the same for the choice of Location, Location, Location.;)

sweetpea
21-Jun-10, 00:03
The more I hear I think does it matter where the school gets put,a building doesn't make a school anyway.

Bradcon
21-Jun-10, 08:31
What about if they do go ahead and build the New High School on the Bignold Park then redevelop the old High School site into a park area with trees, flowers, shrubs, etc, etc, a nice starting/stopping point to a walk up Newton.:)

But where are all the clubs that use the Bignold Park going to go in the meantime???? This is the issue I have with this idea.

Venture
21-Jun-10, 09:45
But where are all the clubs that use the Bignold Park going to go in the meantime???? This is the issue I have with this idea.

There are a lot of other football and rugby folk asking the same question Bradcon. When you think about it if the school is built at Bignold Park that could take up to 3 years. The present school will be in use until then but I'm sure at evenings and weekends the playing fields would be available if ground conditions allowed this. Not the ideal solution I know. There are lots of questions. Hopefully people will go along to the Open Day and Public Meeting and find the answers to them.;)

A question perhaps like this. After the old school is vacated, IF Bignold facilities are then to be relocated to the old school site, a lot of work including demolition etc. still has to be done there to transform it. How long will it take to make it safe and useable by the public and where is the money coming from to do this? There is a fair amount of asbestos in the old 60's buildings that will have to be dealt with. A timely and costly exercise in itself.

HRC are not demolishing the original facade of the school and have openly spoken about selling it off. Could this be an ideal place perhaps for the likes of North Highland College hovering in the background to all of this? In fact an empty school would be ideal for further education purposes when you think about it as well as bringing in cash.;)

glaikit
21-Jun-10, 09:57
I wasn't aware that the college had money to burn. Maybe I'm wrong?

Venture
21-Jun-10, 10:05
I wasn't aware that the college had money to burn. Maybe I'm wrong?

....only hovering. Nothing is set in stone, yet?:)

glaikit
21-Jun-10, 10:09
....only hovering. Nothing is set in stone, yet?:)

I don't think anything will be Venture. The college are looking to their own just now and I don't think they would even consider that proposal. I think this is all about misdirection, if you ask me, which I doubt anyone will [lol]

Venture
21-Jun-10, 10:30
I don't think anything will be Venture. The college are looking to their own just now and I don't think they would even consider that proposal. I think this is all about misdirection, if you ask me, which I doubt anyone will [lol]

Not at all glaikit your opinion is valued as much as anyone else's. The name has cropped up twice now at meetings and I'm sure I saw something in one of the Groat articles. But it's not coming "straight from the horse's mouth" so maybe you are right about the misdirection theory. Only time will tell.;)

bagpuss
21-Jun-10, 21:08
a few years ago a caithness post Dounreay meeting discussed the possibility of such a population decline that only one big secondary school in the county might be needed. Why not just close Wick down when that happens and bus the kids to Thurso?

Amy-Winehouse
21-Jun-10, 21:29
a few years ago a caithness post Dounreay meeting discussed the possibility of such a population decline that only one big secondary school in the county might be needed. Why not just close Wick down when that happens and bus the kids to Thurso?

Over my dead body. [evil] No way should my kids ever evr have to travel up to Thurso for secondary Education & neither should any Thurso kid ever have to do like wise.

It is not an option, imo

Tubthumper
21-Jun-10, 21:50
Over my dead body. [evil] No way should my kids ever evr have to travel up to Thurso for secondary Education & neither should any Thurso kid ever have to do like wise. It is not an option, imo
Hey, I don't want my tax money wasted just to keep Wickers happily stuck in the past. If there's not enough kids, the school shuts and they take the bus. End of!
I did like the idea of a combined Thurso/ Wick school in Watten. 'Thick' High School, was it?

katarina
21-Jun-10, 22:35

Do you realy believe that would happen????

katarina
21-Jun-10, 22:43

That was exactly my earlier point. If they have to make cuts in education because of the lack of money, how come there is money available to build a new swimming pool and library?

Tubthumper
21-Jun-10, 22:51
That was exactly my earlier point. If they have to make cuts in education because of the lack of money, how come there is money available to build a new swimming pool and library?
What, you don't want a new state of the art 6 lane, 25 metre competition standard pool? You don't want to allow Wick to host swimming competitions?? You don't want your kids to have access to something better than what they have???:eek:
I thought I was maybe way off the mark in thinking that some people in the County are afraid of change. Now I'm sure of it!

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jun-10, 00:07

The library well the new high school is going to have one of them so the council have seen this as a cost effective way to continue delivering this service :) I would guess.

......the pool the Scottish Executive have included I think 2 million into the cost for a new pool and they like these things to be for the community.

bagpuss
22-Jun-10, 17:30
of course Wick High School could simply follow local trends- leave it alone and wait until it falls down of its own accord

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 18:03
That's a bit harsh Bagpuss.

katarina
23-Jun-10, 22:35
What, you don't want a new state of the art 6 lane, 25 metre competition standard pool? You don't want to allow Wick to host swimming competitions?? You don't want your kids to have access to something better than what they have???:eek:
I thought I was maybe way off the mark in thinking that some people in the County are afraid of change. Now I'm sure of it!

I thought the pool was not going to be any longer than the one we have and only two lanes wider. How is that going to be state of the art? I've nothing against it but only IF the existing one remains for the general public - AND it is NOT built in the bignold Park!

peedie
23-Jun-10, 22:44
I thought the pool was not going to be any longer than the one we have and only two lanes wider. How is that going to be state of the art? I've nothing against it but only IF the existing one remains for the general public - AND it is NOT built in the bignold Park!

more to the point how do you make a swimming pool state of the art... what makes this hole of water so cutting edge? no holes, clean water and a decent temperature comes as standard pretty much across the board ?

surely state of the art just means new and a bit bigger?

_Ju_
24-Jun-10, 07:12
This is the only highschool Wick is going to get for a very very long time. Why not get them the best facilities possible? Sports is just as important to learning and personal developement as is the enviroment in which you learn, the equipment you have acess to and the teachers.
The kids up here do not have much to look forward to after highschool, unless they go on to further education (College, Uni). For that they need a solid highschool education in all the areas that they want to study. Right now equipment and room is such that you cannot sit the classes you want to.
The community would benefit from all the facilities built as well.

So we need to build the best possible school we can because we wil be stuck with whatever we get!

However, this school does not need to be built with the sacrifice of a green space that will never be given back to us. It is a small space to put the highschool campus when compared with the existing site anyway. As a new build woud it not be better to put it on the outskirts of town? Not only becaus it would resolve alot of acess problems, but also it would deter the kids from a lunchtime sugar and chips raid on the supermarkets and corner shops?

katarina
24-Jun-10, 17:57
The library well the new high school is going to have one of them so the council have seen this as a cost effective way to continue delivering this service :) I would guess.

......the pool the Scottish Executive have included I think 2 million into the cost for a new pool and they like these things to be for the community.

I am not blaming the councilors - I can see the reasoning behind saving money by accepting the payout and shutting existing amenities. It's the authorities who decide that we are going to have that whether we need it or not - otherwise we ain't going to get the money! waste of money nationwide.
However i do blame the councilors for constantly wanting to build something on the bignold park!