PDA

View Full Version : Trojans etc'

Lumberjack
10-Feb-10, 21:25
Hi,
Just a quick query.
Yesterday, whilst viewing an article on the BBC website, the name Jodie Marsh came up. Now, I am in my mid-forties and although I have heard the name, I was not sure who she is or what she does.
I went to the Google image search and clicked on one of the thumbnails to get some info.
Well, within about 5 seconds all hell broke loose on my laptop.
Two pop-ups appeared, one warning me that my computer was infected with Trojans, Worms and Viruses, and the other was supposedly from Microsoft advising me to download a fix for it.
I tried closing the pop-ups, but they kept reappearing.
I then closed the Firefox and then the pop-ups and they did go.
So, I immediately ran a virus scan and the Windows Defender and they both came back clear.

My question is, does it look as though this was a scaremongering scam, or should I do some other checks.
Laptop seems to be working OK.

P.S. I will not be looking for Jodie Marsh again !

Thanks.

S&LHEN
10-Feb-10, 21:54
I think it would have been a virus and I would run a check if I were you? and maybe consider getting an anti virus programme on your laptop if you dont as my one picks up about 5 a day just now and they are all high risk trojan viruses. :roll:

Bobinovich
10-Feb-10, 23:22
So, I immediately ran a virus scan and the Windows Defender and they both came back clear....

It sounds like a fake anti-virus package - I'd suggest downloading, updating & running the free Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) package.

I think it would have been a virus and I would run a check if I were you? and maybe consider getting an anti virus programme on your laptop if you dont as my one picks up about 5 a day just now and they are all high risk trojan viruses. :roll:

Unless you're revisiting infected sites or receiving infected e-mails daily or other files, then I'd say you may well be infected with malware yourself. Any decent anti-virus package should PERMANENTLY remove those 5 a day, but it sounds as though yours can't actually remove them. What AV package & version are you using? I'd suggest you run Malwarebytes too for good measure.