PDA

View Full Version : Wick is officially in the top 35 of scottish stinky places

lynne duncan
09-May-06, 00:10
Last week the smell when you walked out the front door was not attributed to my husband's socks but once again to the Wick Waste Treatment Work out past Broadhaven
HOW! WHY! don't know but I do know it was bad enough to shut the doors and windows, keep the kids indoors and not even dream of hanging out the washing
I know I have posted on this before but that was over a year ago and like all good citizens I thought that someone would have the decency to realise that living with that stench was cruelty, because if that stink had been coming from my premises I'm sure I would have been locked up for it
so I 'm grumping but it seems after checking the website that I have bloody good reason to do so, PLEASE do not wipe out the swearing as it is not often you find that your not that old Waste Treatment plant has made it to the list of 35 worst smelling plants in scotland.
attached is a list of websites mainly from the Scottish Executive who have set up a steering group (Scottish Odour Steering Group) to tackle the worst Waste Water Treatment Plants out of 122 plants which have odour issues the top 35 have been singled out to receive money to upgrade or tackle the smell issue.
www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/Pollution/Noise-Nuisance/Odour/Odour
www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/04/20140331/0

WICK has made this list

Out of this 35 WWTW's only 14 will receive funding in the 2006-2010 period with the other 21 sites having to wait to the 2010-2014 period

To say I am not really keen on having to wait another 4 years for this issue to be rectified is an understatement.

How such a NEW plant has such an obvious problem beggars belief?????

I know that you are busy yet I think that this is being swept under the carpet and would be greatful for your help.

Lynne Duncan

Ann
09-May-06, 10:04
I sympathise with you Lynne and agree that in this day and age, such things just should not be. Good luck in your campaign for fresh air!
Regards,
Ann

Lucy
09-May-06, 12:47
Pity you couldn't bottle the smell and send it to the officials. I'm sure if they had to live with it it would be fixed yesterday no matter what it cost.

Good luck with the campaign.

saxovtr
09-May-06, 17:44
wick should be on a list for a few other things:roll:

2little2late
09-May-06, 22:08
wick should be on a list for a few other things:roll:

Yes, quite right. For one of the safest places for children to be brought up and one of the most peaceful places to live. I can see where saxovtr is trying to take this thread so we will keep to the topic.

lynne duncan
09-May-06, 22:59
today alone I have collected over 30 written letters of complaint from my immediate neighbours about the above problem, and am hoping to speak to a further 30 tommorrow, with copies of these complaints being sent to Scottish Water, SEPA, Scottish Exec Enviromental Health Dept, and any other interested parties
it's not just me that is fed up living with aroma
I also wonder how the property developer who is building continuily closer to the plant is getting people to buy the plots IS he offering free clothes pegs as an incentive to buy

I 100% agree that Wick is the best place to stay and would shout it to the 4 corners of the planet which is why I am kicking up a "stink" about this problem to see whose ears it needs to reach so that something can be done to rectify this asap

lynne duncan
09-May-06, 23:03
for those who never went to the weblinks
OUT of ALL the waste water treatment works in scotland, the Wick plant is in the TOP 35 of plants with the worst odour problems

jings00
09-May-06, 23:04
it's a shame you HAVE to "kick up a stink", but i hope the high heid yins will listen and get it sorted for you all asap. canny be nice livin in those conditions

willowbankbear
10-May-06, 07:39
Well as some of you already know, I walk my dog out past the pumping station everyday & Lynne is 100% correct, It stinks out there!
Hope they do something about it soon, or the hand over the mouth & hold yer breath for a 2-3 mins will continue.

Niall Fernie
10-May-06, 07:59
You should also see if you can dig up the minutes for the Wick Community Council meeting when the guy from the water company promised that there would be no smell. (this was before they started work on the site)

Whitewater
10-May-06, 16:58
They probably promised no smell to get the panning permission, after that the plant would have been built on the cheep, omiting to put in the clean up equipment to make a saving. The clever project engineer would then get a pat on the back for saving on the budget. He/she was probably hoping the wind would blow it out to sea. They just fogot the the prevailing winds in Wick are easterly, ranging from North to South East.

Naefearjustbeer
10-May-06, 19:12
I and a few other members of the Caithness Kayak Club paddled from the boatshed near somerfields car park down the river out to sea and along the coast to ackergill at the end of April. It was fragrant to say the least going past the treatment plant.

willowbankbear
10-May-06, 22:24
I and a few other members of the Caithness Kayak Club paddled from the boatshed near somerfields car park down the river out to sea and along the coast to ackergill at the end of April. It was fragrant to say the least going past the treatment plant.

You said it, Point proven , I rest our case-the place smells,end of

Dr Evil
11-May-06, 10:22
I totally agree. I USED to walk my dog along there but due to the stink I no longer do this as the smell is so over powering. It can be a lovely place to walk for locals and visitors but I wouldn't recomend it to anybody and the smell in this area has been over powering the last couple of weeks. If anyone is brave enough to walk around the side they will see that the pools have no cover on them so no wonder it smells. Keep up the good work Lynne and I think everyone in this area will back you up.

~~Tides~~
11-May-06, 15:14
Living in this area I have to agree with you. Had to turn back a few times recently while walking the dog as you just coudnt get near the place with out gagging. I have noticed recently smelling it acually at our house which is quite a bit in from the plant when the wind was blowing it in. This is awful as it must be really really bad for those liveing in South View and the like.