PDA

View Full Version : local musicians to help hati

babybeenie2801
10-Feb-10, 11:00
Memphis Jurisdiction will be playing in thurso legion on 20 feb 9.00 pm what we are proposing is to sell our new album that night and if we can sell 30 or more cds in that one night we will donate £150 (which is half the cd money as they are only £10 each) to the hati appeal i hope i spelt that right lol. I'm hoping the brittish legion will be able to pass the donation on for us as im not too sure on how to do it myself but i think it's a good way to help the people who need it most and everyone can have a good night of music in the process. what do you guys think of that idea?

Olin
10-Feb-10, 13:18
I think that not only have you spelt "HAITI" wrong but you also spelt "BRITISH" as "brittish" lol

good idea though! lol

changilass
10-Feb-10, 13:25
He is a musician, he don't need to spell just play.

Good luck with it, hope you hit your target.

moncur
10-Feb-10, 13:26
and if you dont sell 30 cds?

loganbiffy
10-Feb-10, 13:36
It is a grand idea!
We did a whole weekend of music in the Newmarket Bar in the last weekend of January and raised £821!

A well worthy cause.
Yeah, you just have to watch incase you don't sell the 30 cd target.

Invisible
10-Feb-10, 14:12
He is a musician, he don't need to spell just play.

um i think he is a she

changilass
10-Feb-10, 14:20
ooops sorry

Serenity
10-Feb-10, 15:55
I think the fact you can't even take the time to get the correct spelling of Haiti and are only going to donate if you sell cds which you keep half the money from shows you really are not doing it for them. It would be better if you maybe took a donation on the door where the full money went to Haiti and didn't force people to buy the cds. Maybe if they like what they hear they will choose to anyway :)

Olin
10-Feb-10, 15:56
Perhaps a donation/charge on door and then a chance to win cds?

Serenity
10-Feb-10, 15:58
Also, this is a genuine question, did you mean to spell the album "Lightening Strikes Twice" and if so what is the meaning behind it?

Metalattakk
11-Feb-10, 03:21
Also, this is a genuine question, did you mean to spell the album "Lightening Strikes Twice" and if so what is the meaning behind it?

Obviously, it's a concept album focussing on the trials and tribulations of the world of hair-colouring.

Jeid
11-Feb-10, 10:08
You'd know all about that eh?

Oh... Rock the skullet!

babybeenie2801
11-Feb-10, 10:38
ok I've read all your comments and some of them are a bit cheeky but fair enough everyone to their own opinion well my spelling has always and will always be really BAD I know its shameful but hey no one perfect also NO ONE absolutely NO ONE is being forced to buy a cd it's their own choice and the music will be played so they can hear it before they even DECIDE to buy it! If we don't hit the 30 target then we will probably just split half of anything we do sell the reason we can't give everything away is we are still out of pocket by nearly £1000 just for recording it in the studio and manufacturing it, but was hoping to help some people out with half of the money we might make. (keep in mind some young folk wouldn't give their time let alone half their money) As for the name of the album yes we meant to call it that and yes there is a meaning lightening struck us once last year when we became one of the semi finalist winners in the UK song writing contest as we did this year again so that's the reason behind it they say lightening NEVER strikes twice well it did for us plus that is all explained on the inside of the cover of the cd anyway I hope that answers your questions

Metalattakk
11-Feb-10, 10:47
You'd know all about that eh?

Hardly. In my case, the album could be called 'Fade to Grey'. :(

Oh... Rock the skullet!

'Skullet'. Priceless! [lol]

Blast!
11-Feb-10, 12:15
Memphis Jurisdiction will be playing in thurso legion on 20 feb 9.00 pm what we are proposing is to sell our new album that night and if we can sell 30 or more cds in that one night we will donate £150 (which is half the cd money as they are only £10 each) to the hati appeal i hope i spelt that right lol. I'm hoping the brittish legion will be able to pass the donation on for us as im not too sure on how to do it myself but i think it's a good way to help the people who need it most and everyone can have a good night of music in the process. what do you guys think of that idea?

Sounds like you're trying to profit out the Haiti disaster to me.

It's pretty standard to recoup costs and there's no chance it's cost you £5 per CD.

Donate all profit or none, don't profit out of others' misery.

babybeenie2801
11-Feb-10, 12:28
costs much more than £5 per cd to make it cost over £600 just for the master cd alone that dont include all the materials all the manufacturing all the publishing advertising promotion designing and the time taken to write these songs plus every person included being paid for distributing them its not as simple as record songs in your bedroom burn them on disc put bit paper in a case and sell it loads more work than that plus there is licencin fees and copywrite paperwork all to be done nothing wrong with trying to break even at least have you even heard the music on it yet probably not but your still putting us down for giving our own time and money away to help people

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 13:34
Sounds like you're trying to profit out the Haiti disaster to me. It's pretty standard to recoup costs and there's no chance it's cost you £5 per CD. Donate all profit or none, don't profit out of others' misery.
An expert in our midst!
Had a lot of experience of CD manufacture and sale, have you? Done quite a few charidee productions, eh? Dipped deep into the talent and finance pockets to help those poor sods in Hati?
Give it a rest!

ps BabyBeenie - try and find the full stop key will you?

Blast!
11-Feb-10, 13:59
An expert in our midst!
Had a lot of experience of CD manufacture and sale, have you? Done quite a few charidee productions, eh? Dipped deep into the talent and finance pockets to help those poor sods in Hati?
Give it a rest!

ps BabyBeenie - try and find the full stop key will you?

No, not at all, I just like stirring up debate on the internet.

Where's Hati? In fact, where's Wally? I've been looking for him for hours.

Cheers.

Blast!
11-Feb-10, 14:01
have you even heard the music on it yet probably not

I have actually.

Cheers.

Serenity
11-Feb-10, 16:46
ok I've read all your comments and some of them are a bit cheeky but fair enough everyone to their own opinion well my spelling has always and will always be really BAD I know its shameful but hey no one perfect also NO ONE absolutely NO ONE is being forced to buy a cd it's their own choice and the music will be played so they can hear it before they even DECIDE to buy it! If we don't hit the 30 target then we will probably just split half of anything we do sell the reason we can't give everything away is we are still out of pocket by nearly £1000 just for recording it in the studio and manufacturing it, but was hoping to help some people out with half of the money we might make. (keep in mind some young folk wouldn't give their time let alone half their money) As for the name of the album yes we meant to call it that and yes there is a meaning lightening struck us once last year when we became one of the semi finalist winners in the UK song writing contest as we did this year again so that's the reason behind it they say lightening NEVER strikes twice well it did for us plus that is all explained on the inside of the cover of the cd anyway I hope that answers your questions

It doesn't matter if you are good or bad at spelling. You are on the INTERNET. There are many places to check. You could take the time to check - if you cared.

Also thanks for confirming my suspicions that you can't even spell your own album correctly.

I wasn't being cheeky at all. IMO charity should be for charity, not for your own gain.

Serenity
11-Feb-10, 16:54
Also you say some young folk wouldn't give their time or their money. Well a lot do. The ones who do it for the right reasons don't go around shouting it from the rooftops and profiting from it themselves. And it's not your money, you are using the charity to sell your cds therefore it is more their money than yours.
Very generous of you.

PartChimp
11-Feb-10, 18:28
Also you say some young folk wouldn't give their time or their money. Well a lot do. The ones who do it for the right reasons don't go around shouting it from the rooftops and profiting from it themselves. And it's not your money, you are using the charity to sell your cds therefore it is more their money than yours.
Very generous of you.

Couldn't agree more tbh!

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 18:50
I think the fact you can't even take the time to get the correct spelling of Haiti and are only going to donate if you sell cds which you keep half the money from shows you really are not doing it for them. It would be better if you maybe took a donation on the door where the full money went to Haiti and didn't force people to buy the cds. Maybe if they like what they hear they will choose to anyway :)
So people shouldn't try to help if their spelling's poor, and shouldn't give any money to the appeal in case it gets misread as trying to profit?? They're only youngsters doing their best you dope!
I despair sometimes, I really do...

loganbiffy
11-Feb-10, 19:03
Why don't you just donate all the door proceeds to the Haiti appeal and if you sell CD's then keep the CD money for yourself to cover costs of CD production etc.

Charge like £3 on the door and donate it all to charity seems like the best plan for everyone.
Then you can't be accused of using your name and CD to profit from the Haiti appeal.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:20
Logan , why should they change their plan just because the fools on here have a problem? I'd like to hear exactly what Blast, Moronity and Partgimp have been contributing, that gives them any right to point the finger...

Serenity
11-Feb-10, 19:38
Logan , why should they change their plan just because the fools on here have a problem? I'd like to hear exactly what Blast, Moronity and Partgimp have been contributing, that gives them any right to point the finger...

They should change their plans so they are not gaining financially directly from the charity. I agree it is a good thing to do - if done for the correct reasons, This is blatantly an attempt to sell cds and not much more. It doesn't matter one bit what anyone else has or hasn't contributed.
Also name calling is very clever and helps your point greatly :roll:

loganbiffy
11-Feb-10, 19:41

PartGimp, Gee, that's mature of you.

It's not about anyone having a problem as such. It just comes across as them trying to sell and promote their CD's first then the charity comes second.

I ain't having a go, I just think that donating all the door money to the Haiti appeal and then keeping the money they make from CD sales is the best way to go, this way it really seems like it's for charity.
They said the needed to sell 30 CD's for it to happen, as Moncur said previously, what happens if the don't sell that many?

Donating the door money and keeping CD money seems like a win-win situation IMO.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:42
Explain to me how Simon Cowell's Haiti single works then? And the old Band Aid xmas single?
These kids are offering a share to the charity. Precisely what are YOU doing (other than munting about other people)?
I thought PartGimp was quite good though...
(that wasn't responding to Logan by the way)

loganbiffy
11-Feb-10, 19:45
Explain to me how Simon Cowell's Haiti single works then? And the old Band Aid xmas single?
These kids are offering a share to the charity. Precisely what are YOU doing (other than munting about other people)?
I thought PartGimp was quite good though...

We had music on in Newmarket Bar on the last weekend of January, the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and donated ALL proceeds to charity. Even the bands donated their fees to it. £821.41 was raised.

ALL the proceeds from the Band Aid and Cowell's Single goes to charity.

I just honestly believe that donating ALL the door takings to charity and keeping the CD money is the best way to do it.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:56
We had music on in Newmarket Bar on the last weekend of January, the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and donated ALL proceeds to charity. Even the bands donated their fees to it. £821.41 was raised.
ALL the proceeds from the Band Aid and Cowell's Single goes to charity.
That's excellent, I wasn't meaning you. And the door money is probably a sensible solution.
Re Band-Aid: 'The proceeds' didn't include the cost of manufacture. I have no doubt that certain aspects of the Cowell single will need to be paid for before the 'proceeds' are disbursed.
And give MJ their due, they've invested a lot of money, time & effort in their CD, I assume BEFORE the earthquake happened. So they didn't have to offer any cash. And even if their attempts at promotion have been clumsy, I think it cheapens our own charity by scornfully pointing at the attempts of others to do their bit.
But what do Serenity and PartChimp do? (I'll be all mature now that everyone's gone pompous)

loganbiffy
11-Feb-10, 20:03
That's excellent, I wasn't meaning you. And the door money is probably a sensible solution.
Re Band-Aid: 'The proceeds' didn't include the cost of manufacture. I have no doubt that certain aspects of the Cowell single will need to be paid for before the 'proceeds' are disbursed.
And give MJ their due, they've invested a lot of money, time & effort in their CD, I assume BEFORE the earthquake happened. So they didn't have to offer any cash. And even if their attempts at promotion have been clumsy, I think it cheapens our own charity by scornfully pointing at the attempts of others to do their bit.
But what do Serenity and PartChimp do? (I'll be all mature now that everyone's gone pompous)

Haha. I absolutely am not picking on MJ's generosity at all. I can just see why some people got a bit wound up about it. It just came across as them looking to profit.

I fully understand production costs etc as I'm in a band that records CD's and plays gigs etc.
Yeah I think the good deed was there, was just clumsy promotion I think.

changilass
11-Feb-10, 20:18
At the end of the day, if the charity gets SOME money then I don't really care if someone else profits as well. Its not as if they are trying to hide the facts. Surely any money for the charity is better than none, and as long as they are not trying to con folks whats the problem.

Jeez, you cannae do right for doing wrong these days.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:22
Ach never mind Changi. The Haitians will get a couple of quid anyways.

celtic1888
11-Feb-10, 20:43
You dont half advertise your band in the wrong way huh..
You sound like your that confident that you are amazing, i wasnt too fond tbh ( as said on the thread where you pretended to not be you.. :S..
If you were going to give to charity then give to charity, its not a half and half job. If your that confident that you are really good then you should have plenty more gigs organised to refund your licencing and production fees.
If your that into helping the poor guys in Haiti then you would give ALL your takings to them.

Anyone agree?

Rant Over..

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 20:50
You dont half advertise your band in the wrong way huh.. You sound like your that confident that you are amazing, i wasnt too fond tbh ( as said on the thread where you pretended to not be you.. :S.. If you were going to give to charity then give to charity, its not a half and half job. If your that confident that you are really good then you should have plenty more gigs organised to refund your licencing and production fees.
If your that into helping the poor guys in Haiti then you would give ALL your takings to them. Anyone agree? Rant Over..
Alright, how much have YOU given to the Haiti appeal? What? Only £5? Why didn't you give ALL your wages, your savings, your kids piggy bank money, after all 'charity is not a half and half job.'
What did Mephis Jursidiction do to deserve this grief? Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.

Serenity
11-Feb-10, 20:54

That was what I suggested at the start. The OP asked for thoughts, that was my thought. I probably didn't take it too well when they took my advice badly.

Again it does not matter at all what anyone else has done. Although the previous fundraiser was fantastic - well done to all involved.

Finally, the OP idea is a good one. I just think the way it was put across is wrong. Maybe I am just cynical.

celtic1888
11-Feb-10, 21:44
Alright, how much have YOU given to the Haiti appeal? What? Only £5? Why didn't you give ALL your wages, your savings, your kids piggy bank money, after all 'charity is not a half and half job.'
What did Mephis Jursidiction do to deserve this grief? Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.

I havent given anything.. remembering im a full time student!!.. If i dNot an easy life when your young, running about in a car and have a MASSIVE insurance premium to pay and not working a lot you know?!
What have you given like? sounds like you've got that much money that you could give them enough to get their lives back up and running.. bull like..

C'yon :)

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 21:52
I havent given anything.. remembering im a full time student!!.. If i dNot an easy life when your young, running about in a car and have a MASSIVE insurance premium to pay and not working a lot you know?! what have you given like? sounds like you've got that much money that you could give them enough to get their lives back up and running.. bull like.. C'yon :)
Don't bump your gums about Memphis Jurisdiction then, meany! :lol:

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 21:53
Again it does not matter at all what anyone else has done. Although the previous fundraiser was fantastic - well done to all involved. Finally, the OP idea is a good one. I just think the way it was put across is wrong. Maybe I am just cynical.
Don't worry about it, it's too easy to get worked up. Clumsy, the wording.

Invisible
11-Feb-10, 21:57
Memphis Jurisdiction are just starting out, can't you just give them a break?

FAO OP:
I will buy your CD, I think its good music, and no matter how much a contribution your going to give Haiti im sure it's going to be appreciated by those who are suffering.

loganbiffy
11-Feb-10, 22:59
I don't think anyone is being cynical. I think maybe the previous threads about buying their CD's and the OP pretending to not be in the band have made people a bit wary.
It is a grand idea, the people of Haiti need help.

I never once said it was a bad idea, just maybe they had promoted it wrong.

Good luck with the venture.

Jeid
11-Feb-10, 23:22
I read this thread, then I lol'd.

If you're in a band to make money, you should give up. People don't buy music these days, not for £10 a cd anyway... or whatever it was, no matter how much good it is.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 23:30
Fair enough Jeid, but don't burst the bubble of those youngsters who still believe in it all.
After all, believing we can 'make it' is what keeps the music industry alive. (And Simon Cowell in a job unfortunately).

I remember being 17, when we were just one step away from that big record contract...

They'll get cynical about it soon enough

fingalmacool
12-Feb-10, 01:33
Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.[/quote]

Oh dear back to the same old cack again:confused

Kenneth
12-Feb-10, 09:32
£10 for a CD, locally produced, is too much, and I wouldnt pay that, no matter how good the cause...and I'm one of those lovely folk that 1) Supports Charities and 2) Still buys CDs!

Also if they couldnt spell 'Haiti' I'd be inclined to think their album would be nonsense.

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 13:24
Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.
Oh dear back to the same old cack again:confused[/quote]
What's up with you? Is no-one allowed to mention himself?

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 18:07

Who exactly is conferring sainthood?

He is well liked; where is the problem?

Envy, I would say reading between...

What do you know about whether he personally has contributed to any particular charity? You know his accountant?

I agree about this new band getting grief; it seems to me they are just trying to do something to help. It is a nice idea.

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 18:27
Who exactly is conferring sainthood? He is well liked; where is the problem? Envy, I would say reading between...
What do you know about whether he personally has contributed to any particular charity? You know his accountant?
Chap came on and stated that MJ should give 100% of their cash, all or nothing. I was using Mr F as an example, as his final Comm gig was the last one referred to on this site. According to Fingal McCool, Fatts should donate all his fee to the Haiti fund, which he maybe did, I wouldn't know.
However the point that in some eyes the gent can do no wrong is well illustrated - mention him in any negative sense, deserved or not, personal opinion or not, people get the hump.
And envy of what precisely?

I agree about this new band getting grief; it seems to me they are just trying to do something to help. It is a nice idea.
I agree. They're young and daft, we were all there once.

Bazeye
12-Feb-10, 18:33
Surely giving something to a charity is better than giving nothing. Isnt it?

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 19:17
Chap came on and stated that MJ should give 100% of their cash, all or nothing. I was using Mr F as an example, as his final Comm gig was the last one referred to on this site. According to Fingal McCool, Fatts should donate all his fee to the Haiti fund, which he maybe did, I wouldn't know.

What logic is there in that? No one asked the OP to come on here talking about giving to Haiti.

Fatts was certainly not marketing his Comm gig as a charity event, so why should it be brought into it?

It was your remark about being a saint that detracts from whatever point you were trying to make.

Envious of someone with talent?

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 20:00
What logic is there in that? No one asked the OP to come on here talking about giving to Haiti.
Fatts was certainly not marketing his Comm gig as a charity event, so why should it be brought into it?
It was your remark about being a saint that detracts from whatever point you were trying to make. Envious of someone with talent?
Why shouldn't he be brought into it? Why, when we're discussing local music and those who are just starting out, are we not permitted to make reference to the master, the touchstone of local talent, the 'old guard'?
Yes, envious of Fatts, that's it.

Blast!
12-Feb-10, 20:09
However the point that in some eyes the gent can do no wrong is well illustrated - mention him in any negative sense, deserved or not, personal opinion or not, people get the hump.
And envy of what precisely?

I agree. They're young and daft, we were all there once.

I assume you're referring to me.

I don't like the J. Fatts (sp?) band and certainly don't consider him
the master, the touchstone of local talent, the 'old guard' so what you've said is nonsense.

I've no idea why you've brought him into this thread but jealousy is a good enough assumption for now.

Cheers.

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 20:12
Why shouldn't he be brought into it?

As I pointed out, his gig was not marketed as a charity event.

Say what you want about the man, he has more integrity than you are displaying in your refusal to note that, and in the way you are trying to bring your dislike of the man into a thread it has nothing to do with.

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 20:24
As I pointed out, his gig was not marketed as a charity event.

Say what you want about the man, he has more integrity than you are displaying in your refusal to note that, and in the way you are trying to bring your dislike of the man into a thread it has nothing to do with.
Who said I disliked the man?? I genuinely appreciate his talent, but I'm puzzled by the way that that merely mentioning him seems to result in an instant hate. Just like you're showing.
Has he done something other than merely playing guitar that I'm not aware of?
And please leave the integrity bit out of it.

Boozeburglar
12-Feb-10, 20:45
And please leave the integrity bit out of it.

Please leave the hate bit out of it. This is a message board. I don't feel hate for anyone in the real world let alone a message board!

:)

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 20:52
OK let's leave it at that then.
By the way, sorry Blast, I mixed you up with someone else. Fingal McCool was the guy that stitched up The Jacks at Hogmanay.
I get confused sometimes.

fingalmacool
12-Feb-10, 21:14
OK let's leave it at that then.
By the way, sorry Blast, I mixed you up with someone else. Fingal McCool was the guy that stitched up The Jacks at Hogmanay.
I get confused sometimes.

Could that be a typo? did you mean snitched on:confused

Kenneth
12-Feb-10, 21:17
The moderator might have to shut this thread down before it gets....enjoyable.

fingalmacool
12-Feb-10, 21:36
Lets keep this thread going, The original question although naive was meant in good faith and some of the replies have been informative but some have been negative and personal, MJ will soon realise that to sell themselves and make a profit in and around Caithness will be very difficult indeed, however if they don't put their rep on the line then they will never know, to recoup their dosh for the recording might be a bridge too far but go for it. In my own humble opinion, the recording didn't sound that good, but I'm no expert, and I listened to bits on line which is never a true reflection. I'm sure some caithness musical geniuses will inform me that the recording was topnotch and i haven't a scooby so i will be standing by for broadsides:confused

Tubthumper
12-Feb-10, 21:40
Good post F McC. Sorry about they typo earlier...

Jeid
12-Feb-10, 22:41
I listened to the MJ stuff on myspace, all sounded the same to me. Rather bland.

I get what Tubthumper is saying about Fats. Perhaps he went about it in the wrong way, but people seem very eager to jump to his defence. He's a big man, if he has a huge problem, he can come on and defend himself.

The thread has taken a major tangent now.

My view is, if the band want to make a contribution, they should make a contribution regardless of how many cd's they sell. There's no need to say "if we sell X amounts of cd's we'll give half the money"

Just play, don't worry about how much you raise and contribute whatever you can. Every penny helps as it's for a good cause.

Boozeburglar
13-Feb-10, 03:57
He's a big man, if he has a huge problem, he can come on and defend himself.

Equally, it is up to whosoever wants to say what they want in response to criticism of someone we respect.

Jeid
13-Feb-10, 09:32
True, but everyone has an opinion and if they wanna air it, they will. You should also respect that. I'm not saying don't have a go, I like keyboard heros.